New football regulator

Jareth

Blocking clubs from joining a breakaway European Super League will be among the powers held by English football's new independent regulator.

The plan for a regulator, recommended by a fan-led review last year, has been confirmed by the UK government.

Preventing historic clubs going out of business is one of the aims, as well as giving fans greater input and a new owners' and directors' test.

The significant move aims to protect English football's cultural heritage.

The main purposes of the proposed new regulator will be:

• Stopping English clubs from joining closed-shop competitions, which are judged to harm the domestic game
  • Preventing a repeat of financial failings seen at numerous clubs, notably the collapses of Bury and Macclesfield
  • Introducing a more stringent owners' and directors' test to protect clubs and fans
  • Giving fans power to stop owners changing a club's name, badge and traditional kit colours
  • Ensuring a fair distribution of money filtered down the English football pyramid from the Premier League

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64536218

All seems a very good idea if you ask me...

13 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Government regulation never goes wrong does it? How are they going to stop clubs joining any league they want? How are they going to stop clubs relocating to wherever they want? This is just gesture politics. 

It's a good idea in principle. But all it takes is the Saudis/Qataris et al making a business deal with the UK and all of a sudden Chelsea or Man City gain certain privileges.

Just look what happened with Qatar World Cup and, funny enough, just a little later, Qatar buys PSG, partly due to some dodgy deals with France.

Something needs to be done. But in my short 30year life I learned that at the end of the day, money talks. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Government regulation never goes wrong does it? How are they going to stop clubs joining any league they want? How are they going to stop clubs relocating to wherever they want? This is just gesture politics. 

The same way regulators do anything, with defined regulations and punishments for breaching said regulations? :D 

We'll see what they come up with but you seem to think it's some impossible problem to solve and I'm not sure it is.

• Like 1

Joining a "breakaway" super league is the key

If its a uefa or a fifa superleague then you boys have at it

In terms of changing FFP or changing the disparity between the haves and the have not in the PL nothing will change

If you take the next 4 year cycle for this new club world cup + CL what regulation is there with a rule that ties each clubs spending in to their revenue on the fact that man City will earn circa £500-600m more than Aston villa in prize money alone?

But as long as a bit of that trickles down to league 2 everything is OK

Edited by villa4europe

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The Premier League is in danger of becoming a closed-shop competition, will they do anything to change that, such as salary caps? I doubt it.

I imagine the role of this regulator will be to try to keep the status quo. The Premier league is a money making monster with loss making enterprises somehow worth billions. The tax revenue from the premier league is astronomical and it keeps going up and up. The regulator will do all he/she can to maintain that.

Edited by villa89

Given the huge January spending discrepancies between the premier league and every other league in Europe, it's basically the de facto super league anyway. 

I am basically becoming an old fart but I still find it hard to compute that bang-average mid-table sides like Palace have greater spending power than AC Milan.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Given the huge January spending discrepancies between the premier league and every other league in Europe, it's basically the de facto super league anyway. 

I am basically becoming an old fart but I still find it hard to compute that bang-average mid-table sides like Palace have greater spending power than AC Milan.

That's more to do with the premier league being absolute marketing masters. The clubs are so rich as broadcasters are willing to pay so much for the rights. 

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I see it’s role as preventing another euro super league plan ever happening again - and to prevent stuff like that time with Hull was it? light touch on everything else. Which is welcome. 

See I dont

they will prevent a breakaway super league plan that can be seen as detrimental to English football which completely misunderstands what the ESL was because these clubs didn't attempt to break away from the PL they tried to breakaway from UEFA, they still wanted their English Saturday league games vs us mere mortals 

The super league is coming, who owns it is the only thing slowing it down, this regulator will do nothing when uefa proposes such a league, which as others have said is only a few minor tweaks away from what we already have

This will impact the lower pyramids but do nothing to help the problems at the top and that's because the game at the top is so rich and so popular no one wants to even start thinking about the PL having problems

Villa don't benefit from this in the slightest

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

See I dont

they will prevent a breakaway super league plan that can be seen as detrimental to English football which completely misunderstands what the ESL was because these clubs didn't attempt to break away from the PL they tried to breakaway from UEFA, they still wanted their English Saturday league games vs us mere mortals 

I though ESL 1.0 was to leave the national leagues no?

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I though ESL 1.0 was to leave the national leagues no?

No, it was cake and eat it, it's the CL that they quit not the PL

So my understanding would be that this regulator governs the English clubs, if fifa or uefa do something daft that benefitted the top 6 over the other 86 clubs (which let's face it...) then this regulator is powerless

But like I said the top 6 are not seen by the powers that be in English football to be a problem

Edited by villa4europe

Â