New football regulator

Jareth

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The same way regulators do anything, with defined regulations and punishments for breaching said regulations? :D 

We'll see what they come up with but you seem to think it's some impossible problem to solve and I'm not sure it is.

No, just that whenever politicians are involved it's usually a f*ck up. Also I'm not sure there is a problem to fix is there?

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

I see it’s role as preventing another euro super league plan ever happening again - and to prevent stuff like that time with Hull was it? light touch on everything else. Which is welcome. 

How are they going to stop a super league? I can easily see a world league with franchised teams playing in their own league within a decade. You only have to look at LIV golf to see that if there is enough money in it, it will happen.

12 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

How are they going to stop a super league? I can easily see a world league with franchised teams playing in their own league within a decade. You only have to look at LIV golf to see that if there is enough money in it, it will happen.

They need a license to play, from the regulator 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Who Football clubs? Not if you get a few of them and they say no. What if they setup outside the UK, how is a regulator going to manage that? What if Man Utd relocate to the US? How does a regulator stop that? It happens in American Football all the time. A UK regulator is useless in the end. 

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If uefa scrap the CL and replace it with a competition where the qualification is no longer based on league positions but on a coefficient ultimately under their manipulation and control -

1) would it be classed as a closed shop

2) would it be classed as detrimental to the PL

3) would the English government seriously say no our teams can't play in it

The answer is no, this regulator will shave 1% off PL clubs revenue and distribute it across the lower leagues and grass roots, whilst also no doubt also using that 1% to pay themselves handsomely*

They also won't stop governments from buying football clubs

The only impact they will have if distributing just enough wealth to struggling clubs to stop them going under, that's it and even then a badly ran club will still **** their money up

* he'll come from the city, get paid £1m a year and will be seen in a corporate box every Saturday

Edited by villa4europe

28 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Who Football clubs? Not if you get a few of them and they say no. What if they setup outside the UK, how is a regulator going to manage that? What if Man Utd relocate to the US? How does a regulator stop that? It happens in American Football all the time. A UK regulator is useless in the end. 

Well, for a start, they have the nuclear option; we can't stop a business being set up and playing football in Qatar. But we can ban them playing in the UK, ban the broadcast of their matches in the UK, and ban the sale of their merchandise in the UK

Would they do that? Who knows, will it come to that? I hope not. But this idea that it's impossible for a UK regulator to have any effect on football clubs is a bit silly. I agree with your cynicism that the government will do a particularly good job, but completely disagree that they're powerless to do anything.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Well, for a start, they have the nuclear option; we can't stop a business being set up and playing football in Qatar. But we can ban them playing in the UK, ban the broadcast of their matches in the UK, and ban the sale of their merchandise in the UK

Would they do that? Who knows, will it come to that? I hope not. But this idea that it's impossible for a UK regulator to have any effect on football clubs is a bit silly. I agree with your cynicism that the government will do a particularly good job, but completely disagree that they're powerless to do anything.

Well I'm no expert on football or the organisations that run football, but I have been listening to Simon Jordan who as a former club owner has far more insight than most about such things, and he is scathing about a football regulator. Every government regulator anybody could mention are a complete shitshow from Ofgem to Ofcom. This is a populist measure by politicians who know nothing about the industry. They would be best keeping their noses out.

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Well I'm no expert on football or the organisations that run football, but I have been listening to Simon Jordan who as a former club owner has far more insight than most about such things, and he is scathing about a football regulator. Every government regulator anybody could mention are a complete shitshow from Ofgem to Ofcom. This is a populist measure by politicians who know nothing about the industry. They would be best keeping their noses out.

Of course people within football are against a regulator as it's something outside of their control which is designed to stop them doing whatever they want (which they clearly need as they're out of control).

Getting rid of regulatory bodies isn't the answer, giving them better funding to actually be more effective is.

As for Jordan, he works for Talksh1te so his job is to talk nonsense, court controversy and generate engagement. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't believe half the things he comes out with.

Regulation looks and sounds great.

Then it’s implemented by completely incompetent public sector lifers who probably don’t give a shit about the sport.

Anything the govt touches turns to shit, football doesn’t need the UK govt to step in, it needs to clean its own house, that starts with FIFA.

Â