Jakub Jankto - Czech international comes out as gay

The_Steve

It will be interesting for the "Its not news" brigade as this will be a big test as Sparta Prague fans are not the most pleasant or some in the Czech football scene

Hopefully they grow up and will accept his decision

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It will be interesting for the "Its not news" brigade as this will be a big test as Sparta Prague fans are not the most pleasant or some in the Czech football scene

Hopefully they grow up and will accept his decision

And also with sections of the Sampdoria supporters where he’s on loan at

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This will be an interesting litmus test for the sport.

I hope in a few months someone is bumping this with "what was all of the fuss about"

Exactly. Every time a high profile figure comes out it will save lives and make it easier for the next person to do the same. 

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

And also with sections of the Sampdoria supporters where he’s on loan at

Having stood amongst sparta prague fans, watching them get battered by Southampton about 5 years ago at St Mary's I don't think he'll get an easy time...if their treatment of their own centre half at the time - Douglas Costa - was anything to go by.

Me -"why are you booing your no.26 ? Is he not very good ?"

Shaven headed Sparta ultra (as calm as you like) "No. He is OK player, but he is black"

Felt like I'd stepped back into the bad old days of the 70s and 80s. Proper words removed, nazi salutes, racist abuse to their own.....it was awful.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Felt like I'd stepped back into the bad old days of the 70s and 80s. Proper words removed, nazi salutes, racist abuse to their own.....it was awful.

Far from an isolated incident. This is them in 2015.. :( 

Sparta Prague fans give the Nazi salute at a game against CSKA Moscow in August 2015.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

I understand he's on loan at Boavista. Hopefully the fans in the Portuguese league as as accepting as they might be in Spain, Czech Republic and Italy, where he is also on loan.

All the talk of players but where are the openly gay CEOs, press officers, agents, physios etc in the football world? Is anyone working for us LGTBQ + ?

Of course not everyone wants to "out" themselves to press and become a story so I fully respect people just wanting to get on with their jobs and lives but pretty curious considering many think a big issue in football is what crowd reactions would be and people working behind the scenes don't have that issue.

Did a search and came across this guy who works for Sky sports, took Tom Allen to watch West Ham during the rainbow laces campaign weekend a few seasons back:

Tom Allen talks homophobia and Rainbow Laces at West Ham in 'I'm Game' | Football News | Sky Sports

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

All the talk of players but where are the openly gay CEOs, press officers, agents, physios etc in the football world? Is anyone working for us LGTBQ + ?

Of course not everyone wants to "out" themselves to press and become a story so I fully respect people just wanting to get on with their jobs and lives but pretty curious considering many think a big issue in football is what crowd reactions would be and people working behind the scenes don't have that issue.

I'm pretty sure there are lots of gay physios and press officer etc, but it's not news. Because they're not famous.

Â