Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

12 hours ago, andyb82 said:

Also it is not just about HG, but also about academy developed. Believe you need 4 players in the squad that were developed by us (in addition to at least 4 other HG players) .

Believe if the number of academy developed players is less than 4 results in a reduction of the squad size. 

So really the only one we have that likely get minutes is J Ramsey (and is why I am surprised we are looking to sell Archer and Bidace).

I am sure we will include a youth keeper in the squad. So with Ramsey and Keeper, we will need 2 more. 

T. IRO does not count I think, as he has not yet had 3 yrs in our academy. 

Does feel we are on a tightrope for both HG and Academy players. Someone also did point out that I think Traore counts as HG as he had 3 years at Chelsea in the right age range. 

Is why I could see Brennan Johnson, as I think we will need to prioritise some UK signings.

One solution is clearly to bring Jack back (jokes...)

(should say it is also a bit more complicated in that I think you name 2 squads, to paraphrase a senior and a junior squad. It may be we take a hit on the size of the senior squad noting we have youth that can be called up if required) 

Our European squad has been published on the UEFA website:

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/clubs/52683--aston-villa/squad/

We have the maximum number of players registered in our “A” list (21 + 2 homegrown club players (Ramsey and Archer (nb Philogene is on the B list)).  Buendia and Mings are not on the registered list, nor is Zaniolo who I will assume will come in for the next round.

Some players are on the “B” list which just means they qualify as u21 players. Note that not all players under the age of 21 qualify for the B list as they have to have been at the club for a certain time period first (eg Duran and Kellyman who are on the A list, plus Tim Iroegbunam who wasn’t registered at all).

Of the 21 non-homegrown senior players it’s not like there are any no hopers making up the numbers (like Hause or Davis) who could easily be binned from the squad, apart from the young Kellyman who’ll presumably make way for Zaniolo. But it does seem like from here it is a case of one in, one out as there’s no space in our Europe squad for any additional numbers.

Personally I think if we sell both Archer and Philogene it leaves us a little light on depth but Emery has said he wants 2 players in each position + a 3rd choice keeper, which technically we have covered already, so maybe he’s not bothered about depth beyond that

Edited by david-avfc
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

If JPB, Davis and Archer are off and Digne is hanging around, who else leaves at this point?

Will Iroegbunam, Chrisene and Marschall be looking at loans unless injuries prevent it?

What about Hause?

With Coutinho and Ramsey out for a while do we keep Traore around or is he headed out?

I think we'll see a defender in the door yet either DR or DRC

Hause needs to go, not sure why he's still here really, injuries probably delaying us moving him out. Mings is injured but Hause is midtable Championship standard so no use to us. 

Traore will have to stay now because we don't have another options otherwise and he can still contribute off the bench. Unless we bring in another attacking player we basically need to keep Coutinho and Traore or we'll be down to the bare bones with Buendia being out for the season and our youngsters being sold.

22 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Digne is signed until 2026. We don't need to worry about him. The striker thing is nonsense. Duran isn't our back up last resort striker. Diaby can play there. Emery said he can. Man City have no back up striker to Haaland. Alvarez is less of back up striker than Diaby. 

Alvarez has predominantly played as a striker in his career whereas the number of senior appearances Diaby has made there can be counted on one hand.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Alvarez has predominantly played as a striker in his career whereas the number of senior appearances Diaby has made there can be counted on one hand.

I'll give you that but Traore has played as many. People obsess about back up striker when Emery has said Watkins will lead the line and PL teams don't rely on strikers like they used to. Arsenal almost won the league last seen with bulk goals coming from Saka Marinelli and Odegaard. Jesus was injured most the season and now again and they put Trossard up front and now Nketia who's bang average 

31 minutes ago, Ogen said:

If we can't get who we want right now it still doesn't mean moving players on when their stock is high is a bad move, would rather have a pot for January than be scrambling to get cash in then to fund things. I think we're overhyping the squad depth needed for Europe with how handy the group should be, we'll likely have one average team and 2 teams our reserves should beat comfortably even with our current squad looking a bit thin.

Still think we'll certainly see another 2 but if we don't it's not the end of the world

I think things will look a bit better squad wise when Ramsey, Moreno, Dendoncker and Coutinho are fit again but I still think we're a couple of players short of where we want to be and going to need players in the squad that we were previously looking to move on. If we're struggling to get in who we want now there's even more chance that will be the case in January when clubs are more reluctant to sell at that time.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I don't think we'll buy anyone else.

When was the last time Villa bought someone major in the last couple of days of the transfer window which weren't panic buys?  I don't think Monchi and Emery will do any panic buys.

We have a good squad which will be stronger once Ramsey, Moreno, Coutinho & Dendoncker are fit again, and Zaniola is integrated into the squad. 

I agree that we won't do panic buys, but we have targets already identified and will be looking to bring a couple of those in. It could be that clubs come back to us, that we have previously sounded out about a player or clubs offer us a player, that we hadn't previously thought would be available. I'm sure the club would like to bring in another couple of players and will be working in the days/hours, that still remain of this transfer window to make something happen.    

We do feel a bit light attacking wise but we have Coutinho and JJ to both return.

Not a huge issue for me if we leave it until Jan if there's no one out there we like look of.

Main thing for me is a back-up keeper.

Other minor thing was a striker if we need (we will) to rest Ollie. Duran isn't ready for PL IMO, but Zaniolo should be.

56 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Hause needs to go, not sure why he's still here really, injuries probably delaying us moving him out. Mings is injured but Hause is midtable Championship standard so no use to us. 

Traore will have to stay now because we don't have another options otherwise and he can still contribute off the bench. Unless we bring in another attacking player we basically need to keep Coutinho and Traore or we'll be down to the bare bones with Buendia being out for the season and our youngsters being sold.

Agreed that Hause needs to go when he is fit but he is much better than mid championship level. At his best he is tail end Premier League quality and would be Luton or Sheffield United's best defender!

• Haha 1

If we don't sign anyone else this window we have done well. There maybe areas that we can still improve but we can cope, at least until January. Cash with Chambers or Konsa as back up will do for now. Martinez with Olsen for back up will do until January or next summer. Watkins with Diaby, Zaniolo or Duran as back up will be fine until January. If we can get another signing in then great but if not we will still be a much stronger squad than last season, even with our injuries.

2 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Agreed that Hause needs to go when he is fit but he is much better than mid championship level. At his best he is tail end Premier League quality and would be Luton or Sheffield United's best defender!

You're possibly right but surely those two are going straight back down! 

Upper Championship quality then is perhaps fairer to Korts but still a long way short of what Villa require to make progress.

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We do feel a bit light attacking wise but we have Coutinho and JJ to both return.

Not a huge issue for me if we leave it until Jan if there's no one out there we like look of.

Other minor thing was a striker if we need (we will) to rest Ollie. Duran isn't ready for PL IMO, but Zaniolo should be.

Looking forward to JJ return. Coutinho is still a myth and not convinced he'll ever do much for us. Emery only signed Moreno last window and look at the results. I have faith and trust the progress

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I keep forgetting we have JJ to return. Brilliant!!

• Like 1

Squad as it stands (minus Buendia and Mings who are unlikely to play this season):

GK: Martinez, Olsen

Defenders: Pau, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers, Cash, Digne, Moreno

Midfielders: Kamara, Luiz, Tielemans, Dendoncker, Ramsey, McGinn, Bailey, Diaby, Zaniolo, Traore

Strikers: Watkins, Duran

21 senior players if we include 19 year old Duran. Enough for a first 11 and 9 strong subs (with one player missing out). Probably be fine but ultimately the 4 injuries we currently have leaving us short hence my slight concern. Also Traore and Coutinho not very reliable, Olsen a worry as backup to Emi, and Duran still very raw.

Edited by Leeroy

I think we need 2 more important sign: RB (urgenty) and Striker (Loan?), Less important can wait until jan window or next season: Maybe DM and GK

Let's look at rotate:

GK:
Martinez / Olsen (UGR) <- Need Replacement

DR:
Cash / Need Sign
DC:
Konsa/Mings (Chamber cover for him until he returns out of season - loan?)
Diego/Pau 
DL:
Moreno (He will back soon)/Dignes

DM:
Kamara/Dend(UGR) <- Need replacement for him (Note Iroegbunam will be back soon I would replace Dend with him) still need to sign a new player to rotate with Kamara
CM: 
Luiz /Tielemans
RM:
Mcginn / Zaniolo
LM:
Ramsey / Bailey (or Traore)
AM:
Coutinho (UGR) / Buendia (out of season - need sign back up? to replace counitho)

FW:
Watkins / Duran (need experience striker back watkins to give Duran time)
FR: 
Diaby / Traore (I would play JPB indeed)

Sell Traore, Dend, Countiho to extra fund to buy players.

Edited by Danny_Villaman84