Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Someone is coming in that is for sure with those three leaving.

They might hold off on a striker if they believe in Duran

An injury to Ollie puts a lot of risk on his young shoulders however. It makes sense to bring someone in with Cam going. 

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Striker is the area that intrigues me most. We're not going to go and get a huge money signing, it's going to be a value guy, but that's an interesting market - it's going to be someone really random, probably an older guy with good stats who is happy for a few starts and sub appearances. Really interesting potentially 

A few have moved in moderate deals that could have done a job.

Sorloth joined Villarreal for €10m and Andre Silva went on loan to Sociedad. I think either would have got a lot of minutes this season for us. Sorloth is loads better than he showed at Palace.

Be interesting to see what we do for sure.

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Agreed - every year people think we will finish the summer pulling a rabbit out of a hat and signing a superstar but that never happens. Those signings are made early. 

It’ll be someone who makes sense for us and the squad but isn’t necessarily the big names the message boards get wet over. 

Yeah, it's not going to be a superstar signing.  Will be someone who fits the system, and older.

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

An injury to Ollie puts a lot of risk on his young shoulders however. It makes sense to bring someone in with Cam going. 

Diaby can play striker. Emery literally said that was one of the reasons they signed him

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Diaby can play striker. Emery literally said that was one of the reasons they signed him

We aren’t going to be playing him primarily as a striker though if Ollie is out for 8 weeks or so with an injury let’s be realistic. 

• Like 1

So

14 mill for AJ

19 mill for Archer ( Reported )

7 mill for JPB + Keinan ?

Get another few players off the books and i'm sure it does our FFP and wages wonders.

Some of those wages need to be used to offer Doug a new deal I feel.

Based on the various websites, he is nowhere near a top earner.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

We aren’t going to be playing him primarily as a striker though if Ollie is out for 8 weeks or so with an injury let’s be realistic. 

Why not? Spurs lost Kane and just beat Manure, I know they're trash atm, with Richarlison (not a striker) up top. He's rubbish btw. Never rated since Watford days.

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

In fairness, Diaby is tiny and defo can't offer certain elements of Ollies game.

I reckon we would see Zaniolo/Duran replace Ollie before Diaby.

Diaby is more of a " support " striker.

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

The best Ronaldo.

In other news, Lukaku and Chelsea have fallen out - year long loan with subsidised wages good for all parties?

Absolutely not. He can infect his poison elsewhere! 

I wonder if we have another attacking player lined up. I feel a right footed player is needed. It's possible Zaniolo will be getting mins at no9 as Emery said he can play Striker 10 or 7. So sounds like he'll get mins at 9 to me.

We could be just generating income from sales so we can fit into the new European FFP rules which are more stringent than PL ones. A serious issue for us in next few seasons 

We've got a couple of players that could step in up front, but clearly weren't bought to be strikers in the first instance - Diaby, Zaniolo. You wouldn't rely on them to fill in on Watkins absence for any length of time.

We've got Watkins and Duran for realistic options up front. That's too thin. You need another senior striker. We've potentially got a very busy year, we are going to need someone who can come in and give Watkins support and a chance to rest for the odd game or 2, and support Duran getting a few minutes but not having to carry the weight of expectation.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Diaby is more of a " support " striker.

Alvarez is a "support striker" and first cab off the rank if Haaland got injured. Look at big scorers last season outside Haaland and Kane or goals plus assists. Salah Saka Martinelli etc etc. Game has changed years ago. Arsenal lose Jesus and still get results. Nketiah isn't amazing. Trossard was played at striker a lot and he sure as shit isn't a striker but who gives a shit if scores or provides

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Alvarez is a "support striker" and first cab off the rank if Haaland got injured. Look at big scorers last season outside Haaland and Kane or goals plus assists. Salah Saka Martinelli etc etc. Game has changed years ago. Arsenal lose Jesus and still get results. Nketiah isn't amazing. Trossard was played at striker a lot and he sure as shit isn't a striker but who gives a shit if scores or provides

This. Realistically, we have 2 players that can play a 'classic' striker' - Watkins and Duran. 

But if anyone has watched Emery ball over the last 10 months can tell that we like attack quickly, so it's realistic Zaniolo could become a 3rd option that runs from a little deeper in alongside Diaby.

I would like another striker for peace of mind - but would be totally happy if we didn't. After all, the next window is just 4 months away. 

• Like 1