Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

What we'd need to replace is his physical presence as well as his organisational skills. Hancko's numbers for aerial duels, blocks, clearances etc. are very low. He doesn't look like a suitable replacement whatsoever. 

True, I got carried away with all the other stats in green… 

• Like 1

I wonder what is the buying price for Evan Ferguson, showing huge potential and gives nice strength with Ollie...... get in there before spurs.! Also I'd sound out Arsenal on Smith rowe, don't think he's going to get game time there and still has big game ability.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thecake said:

I wonder what is the buying price for Evan Ferguson, showing huge potential and gives nice strength with Ollie...... get in there before spurs.! Also I'd sound out Arsenal on Smith rowe, don't think he's going to get game time there and still has big game ability.

Profile wise ESR would be a good replacement for Emi. But given the unplanned nature of this I think we’ll be shopping in the bargain bin or clever transfers. Think Arsenal would want decent money for him. 

• Like 1

We were pushing it having four defenders as good as Mings, Konsa, Carlos, and Pau, that's not just four decent defenders, but four defenders all with big reputations and that would want to be starting every week, hence we were starting to get talk of Carlos possibly leaving, as he wasn't going to be happy as fourth choice.

So I doubt we will be spending big on replacing Mings, we will probably just keep Carlos, have him, Konsa, and Pau as first choice three, and possibly sign another as fourth choice, but won't be an exciting signing, either a stop-gap à la Bednarek last season, or a younger player in their early twenties that will be happy to be fourth choice and make can develop into a more senior option as our current options age.

We might not even sign anonther defender at all, we're not exactly short with Pau, Carlos, Konsa, and then Chambers and Dendoncker that can play there, in certain cup games we might even trust one of the youngsters.

28 minutes ago, Thecake said:

£100m. Spurs can’t afford him.

34 minutes ago, Thecake said:

We're not buying anyone from Brighton lmao. Why would he give them up for us when he's got a good thing going with them?

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, striker said:

I’m here due to supporting both Villa and Everton and more Villa now. Have stated this many times already on site!

Concerning chatting shit that may be so but what I won’t do is change my opinion to fall in line with your and other’s opinion that Villa’s midfield is great.

I don't find myself agreeing with your opinions much, but as long as there are no personal attacks, I support a diversity of perspectives here, and well, it's just football. I'm never interested in an echo chamber where everyone agrees with everyone and there are orthodoxies you can't question. STILL ... THAT SAID ... you've got a hurting fanbase here right now, you know? Speaking for myself, I'm not sure how prepared I feel to contemplate our midfield shortcomings after that mauling yesterday. I don't think it's a focus in terms of recruitment. It may be in terms of tactics. 

Don't think they can justify asking 100 mill maybe half of that would be more realistic....

Also while Monchi is on the phone to Arsenal about Smith Rowe he could tell them to pop Kieran Tierney into the back seat to keep him company, be nice business.....

My ManYoo mate says we should go for Maguire. I told him I thought Villa fans would revolt and that he's totally wrong for us in terms of style. Somehow, it just kind of bothered me, the suggestion, but am I being too thin-skinned?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

My ManYoo mate says we should go for Maguire. I told him I thought Villa fans would revolt and that he's totally wrong for us in terms of style. Somehow, it just kind of bothered me, the suggestion, but am I being too thin-skinned?

Maguire yuck

Big no from me 👎

• Like 1

People acting as if we're only going to sign another forward because of Buendia injury, we were always likely to sign another forward, it's been constantly reported in the media all summer that we wanted another two forwards, I think Emery might even be quoted as saying so himself, we've constantly been linked to No.10 types all summer - Xavi Simons, Kaing-in, Arda Guler, De Ketelaere, Thiago Almada, Baena, Moleiro, Zaniolo, Felix and Gonçalves - most were in agreement that we needed if not better options then at least stronger competition for both Buendia and Bailey.

This is why I don't believe Zaniola move is just a reaction to Buendia injury, first of all we were already linked to him earlier in the summer, secondly the more recent link came pretty much the day after Buendia's injury and it was reported that we had bid for him, he wanted to come and we were in talks with Galatasaray, all that didn't happen that quickly just because of Buendia getting injured.

Point is I don't think us going for another attacker was unplanned at all, in fact I think it was very much in the plans, the question is do we now go for another two attackers because of Good day's lesión, or maybe just have it as an opportunity to give Philogene more game time and hope Coutinho can come good.

• Like 2

For me there are some options at LM/LW/IF position, it all depends how much we have to spend. 

Everyone was saying we’d go large this summer and I guess we have to some degree with Torres and Diaby coming in but a combined 80m (give or take) is a drop in the ocean compared to other teams spending.

I really think, if the wry Monchi smile is to be believed, that we still have some big irons in the fire, or at least I hope we do. I thought we’d be spending 150m net and we’re some way from that at present. 

If the earlier rumours about Goncalves are true I think he’d fix our left side. If Sporting want too much someone like him but cheaper might be an option. Jack Clarke at Sunderland perhaps? Martin Terrier? Thiago Almada?

I think right side were well covered with the likes of Diaby, McGinn, Tielemans, Bailey and Bidace. We need that depth on the left.

I personally would like to see us sign a LW/IF/CF, and a LM/AM, giving us Ramsey, LM/CAM and LW. Bidace I think can cover both but he’s played more on the right I think.

If we had (for example) Gouiri, Goncalves and Ramsey as the left options we’d be  cooking. It would give us some tactical flexibility as well. 

As for further back, I think I’d rotate the 3 CBs a bit rather than buy another one.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

……have it as an opportunity to give Philogene more game time and hope Coutinho can come good.

JPB will hopefully get more game time anyway, but hope is not a strategy for the season.  Almada is a good like-for-like Buendia replacement (with no guarantees he’d work out), plus whatever we had planned to do before. 

We have to reshape the squad on the assumption that Buendia and Mings are gone for this season and recruit accordingly. It’s rough, but them’s the breaks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thecake said:

with Caicedo going for around 110m and Ferguson signing a new deal, I'd assume they would ask for more than 125m. And that transfer wouldn't really make sense for all three parties if we're being honest 

10 minutes ago, burchy said:

For me there are some options at LM/LW/IF position, it all depends how much we have to spend. 

Everyone was saying we’d go large this summer and I guess we have to some degree with Torres and Diaby coming in but a combined 80m (give or take) is a drop in the ocean compared to other teams spending.

I really think, if the wry Monchi smile is to be believed, that we still have some big irons in the fire, or at least I hope we do. I thought we’d be spending 150m net and we’re some way from that at present. 

If the earlier rumours about Goncalves are true I think he’d fix our left side. If Sporting want too much someone like him but cheaper might be an option. Jack Clarke at Sunderland perhaps? Martin Terrier? Thiago Almada?

I think right side were well covered with the likes of Diaby, McGinn, Tielemans, Bailey and Bidace. We need that depth on the left.

I personally would like to see us sign a LW/IF/CF, and a LM/AM, giving us Ramsey, LM/CAM and LW. Bidace I think can cover both but he’s played more on the right I think.

If we had (for example) Gouiri, Goncalves and Ramsey as the left options we’d be  cooking. It would give us some tactical flexibility as well. 

As for further back, I think I’d rotate the 3 CBs a bit rather than buy another one.

Everyone being random people on Twitter?

We’ve the 10th highest spend so far this window, so there is as many teams that have spent less than us than have spent more.

But, don’t forget we got a £50m midfielder for free.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

People acting as if we're only going to sign another forward because of Buendia injury, we were always likely to sign another forward, it's been constantly reported in the media all summer that we wanted another two forwards, I think Emery might even be quoted as saying so himself, we've constantly been linked to No.10 types all summer - Xavi Simons, Kaing-in, Arda Guler, De Ketelaere, Thiago Almada, Baena, Moleiro, Zaniolo, Felix and Gonçalves - most were in agreement that we needed if not better options then at least stronger competition for both Buendia and Bailey.

This is why I don't believe Zaniola move is just a reaction to Buendia injury, first of all we were already linked to him earlier in the summer, secondly the more recent link came pretty much the day after Buendia's injury and it was reported that we had bid for him, he wanted to come and we were in talks with Galatasaray, all that didn't happen that quickly just because of Buendia getting injured.

Point is I don't think us going for another attacker was unplanned at all, in fact I think it was very much in the plans, the question is do we now go for another two attackers because of Good day's lesión, or maybe just have it as an opportunity to give Philogene more game time and hope Coutinho can come good.

I think it is a choice between two attacking players or three.  Zaniolo is looking quite likely based on the amount of noise around an agreement with the player, the structure of a loan to buy deal, etc.  For me that's the upgrade on the Bailey position (I still think Bailey gives us options from the bench or to rotate).  I also think that we've been linked with far too many left-sided attackers to assume that we aren't planning to bring in someone there who maybe offers something different to Jacob or Emi.  So regardless of whether Zaniolo signs or not I would expect a similar type of player to come in on the left who can run at defences and create chances within a 4-3-3 (when we are expecting to have plenty of the ball and dictating play) but who could also play as more of a 9 / 10 if other players (Ollie / Diaby) need a rest / get injured.  That would give us Diaby, Zaniolo and A.N. Other to provide options through the middle if Ollie is out for example.  None of them necessarily an out-and-out striker but all could do a job and would also get plenty of game time when Ollie is playing.  The question then is do we need a low risk "filler" type player as cover / a different type of option for that left-sided signing and Ramsey - given how many games there are and the fact that Coutinho is unlikely to be able to play 20 odd full matches.  In that scenario the link to Harrison kind of makes sense - he'd do a job and was available for loan (with potential to sign depending on impact and also when Buendia comes back) so therefore not much outlay.  So two signings to improve the first team (or provide alternate approach based on opposition) and a Chambers / Harrison type loan with options to maintain the squad depth with Emi being out for so long. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allani said:

I think it is a choice between two attacking players or three.  Zaniolo is looking quite likely based on the amount of noise around an agreement with the player, the structure of a loan to buy deal, etc.  For me that's the upgrade on the Bailey position (I still think Bailey gives us options from the bench or to rotate).  I also think that we've been linked with far too many left-sided attackers to assume that we aren't planning to bring in someone there who maybe offers something different to Jacob or Emi.  So regardless of whether Zaniolo signs or not I would expect a similar type of player to come in on the left who can run at defences and create chances within a 4-3-3 (when we are expecting to have plenty of the ball and dictating play) but who could also play as more of a 9 / 10 if other players (Ollie / Diaby) need a rest / get injured.  That would give us Diaby, Zaniolo and A.N. Other to provide options through the middle if Ollie is out for example.  None of them necessarily an out-and-out striker but all could do a job and would also get plenty of game time when Ollie is playing.  The question then is do we need a low risk "filler" type player as cover / a different type of option for that left-sided signing and Ramsey - given how many games there are and the fact that Coutinho is unlikely to be able to play 20 odd full matches.  In that scenario the link to Harrison kind of makes sense - he'd do a job and was available for loan (with potential to sign depending on impact and also when Buendia comes back) so therefore not much outlay.  So two signings to improve the first team (or provide alternate approach based on opposition) and a Chambers / Harrison type loan with options to maintain the squad depth with Emi being out for so long. 

I'm sorry that happened to you