Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Still think we need a clinical striker that can push Watkins. But that is going to cost some money. Newcastle spent a hefty sum on their new forward but will reap the benefit this season. 

Will be better investing in a RB possibly another CB now. But to push on we do need another forward. 

• Like 1

Just now, AVTuco said:

No use signing anyone of note really. Just cheap depth signings and wait for next year again.

We are in a very winnable cup competition (West Ham had plenty of injuries last season).

Seasons are long and other teams will get bad injuries to key players so not like we're an outlier given Chelsea in last few weeks lost Fofana for the season and now Nukunu up to December.

To just shrug shoulders and not do anything about it is very odd mentality.

Read somewhere Forest want Demiral from Atalanta so that's a CB we should be targeting, mid 20s and already a good couple of seasons in europe and used to playing in a high line.

I fell asleep at half time, but I read up on what has happened.....

I feel some people are having a bit of a paddy about some things we already knew before today.

1. We need a defensive right back 
2. We needed a wide midfielder for the McGinn/Ramsey role as the only real back up we had for that role was Buendia.
3. We could do with 1 more lights out attacking player like Diaby if we are going to play a different way.
4. Watkins is good but not Elite.

What is new is now we have Mings possibly out for the rest of the season, so here is my take.

We aren't spending big on a new centre back unless one of our main four leave, Pau now becomes an automatic starter and Carlos will be given more game time to prove his body is ok. Chambers should simply be kept as a forth choice.

Problem number one, we need a new defensive right back, I have said previously I think we should give Man Utd the money for AWB and that solves the problem.

Problem number two can be fixed by a number of people as you aren't buying a winger for this position currently like we would have in previous days. Again previously I suggested signing Sessegnon from Spurs as he offers defensive capability, attacking capability and speed, whilst being very  gettable, relatively low cost and if it pays off then there is a lot of resale value.

I would be surprised if you couldn't buy the two for 50m

If we are out of money after that then we could deal with it, we don't want to scrimp on forwards/strikers.

My take is neither Bailey or Coutinho will make it here, rather have Traore over those two. Diaby is great so you would really be looking for another.

As for striker, I am happy to go with Watkins/Archer for the season. The only top striker seemingly available on the market is Vlahovic they seemingly want 60m plus for him and I doubt he wants to leave Turin for Villa park. Scouting is what is needed here, there has been a bit of a dearth of strikers but there is a fresh batch of young ones coming through such as Orban, Wahi and Ekitike. They aren't unknown players but the scouts would have to pay some visits to make sure they match up for whatever it is that Monchi and Emery want from their centre forward.

Don't panic problem 1 and 2 is much more important to fix and 3 and 4 but they are in order of importance.

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I fell asleep at half time, but I read up on what has happened.....

I feel some people are having a bit of a paddy about some things we already knew before today.

1. We need a defensive right back 
2. We needed a wide midfielder for the McGinn/Ramsey role as the only real back up we had for that role was Buendia.
3. We could do with 1 more lights out attacking player like Diaby if we are going to play a different way.
4. Watkins is good but not Elite.

What is new is now we have Mings possibly out for the rest of the season, so here is my take.

We aren't spending big on a new centre back unless one of our main four leave, Pau now becomes an automatic starter and Carlos will be given more game time to prove his body is ok. Chambers should simply be kept as a forth choice.

Problem number one, we need a new defensive right back, I have said previously I think we should give Man Utd the money for AWB and that solves the problem.

Problem number two can be fixed by a number of people as you aren't buying a winger for this position currently like we would have in previous days. Again previously I suggested signing Sessegnon from Spurs as he offers defensive capability, attacking capability and speed, whilst being very  gettable, relatively low cost and if it pays off then there is a lot of resale value.

I would be surprised if you couldn't buy the two for 50m

If we are out of money after that then we could deal with it, we don't want to scrimp on forwards/strikers.

My take is neither Bailey or Coutinho will make it here, rather have Traore over those two. Diaby is great so you would really be looking for another.

As for striker, I am happy to go with Watkins/Archer for the season. The only top striker seemingly available on the market is Vlahovic they seemingly want 60m plus for him and I doubt he wants to leave Turin for Villa park. Scouting is what is needed here, there has been a bit of a dearth of strikers but there is a fresh batch of young ones coming through such as Orban, Wahi and Ekitike. They aren't unknown players but the scouts would have to pay some visits to make sure they match up for whatever it is that Monchi and Emery want from their centre forward.

Don't panic problem 1 and 2 is much more important to fix and 3 and 4 but they are in order of importance.

Funnily enough, I saw an article yesterday saying AWB is "frustrated".

Alot of people don't rate him, but I actually quite like him when i've seen him.

Sidenote: Coutinho was actually very good when he came on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Alot of people don't rate him, but I actually quite like him when i've seen him.

AWB isn't what their manager requires so they need to get rid of one of their right backs and bring in one which has the qualities he does require. He fits us perfectly. As for Coutinho, it is just my opinion, was great and now I don't trust his body.

• Like 1

Assuming we can only go for one (and neither go to Saudi and/or Barca somehow), Laporte for another left-footer or Foyth for the right with Carlos moving left if needed? Laporte's the better player on the whole but the ability to cover right back and knowing Emery's system already may be of real value.

2 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Assuming we can only go for one (and neither go to Saudi and/or Barca somehow), Laporte for another left-footer or Foyth for the right with Carlos moving left if needed? Laporte's the better player on the whole but the ability to cover right back and knowing Emery's system already may be of real value.

Obvious answer is Foyth

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Utd fans find him disappointing because he offers little going forward but he’s widely regarded as one of if not the best defensive right back in the league particularly in one on one situations so he’d suit the emery system perfectly 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I'd be pretty happy with

Juan Foyth RB/CB

Zaniolo RM/ST

Ideally another ST too

We need another striker. We were apparently all in on Tammy and his ACL scuppered that deal.

If Watkins gets injured we are screwed. It’s hard enough even when he plays badly.

28 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We need another striker. We were apparently all in on Tammy and his ACL scuppered that deal.

If Watkins gets injured we are screwed. It’s hard enough even when he plays badly.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree, especially as Archer doesn't seem trusted

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good quote this is think:

'Newcastle are a chain of strong links, both in the starting 11, and on the bench. Villa have eight or nine strong links, but two or three weak ones. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.'

I think both clubs are incredibly similar. We got battered at St James’ last season; it’s a tough ground to go to when the fans are buoyant.

But let’s not forget Dan Burn is their starting left back. 

We have got to strengthen…

It really will be disastrous if we suffer any further injuries…

But I’ve also been wondering just how much(?) stronger that first team is out there than it was last season?

No doubt we have a better squad and some key, injured players to return…

But how much have we “elevated” that first 11??

Emi and Ty injuries have hit us so hard… we have to try and use that as motivation and fight for them out on that pitch…

Long season ahead, one poor performance and one poor/embarrassing result certainly does not define it.

Surely onwards n upwards from here.

Unai will get it right.

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

No use signing anyone of note really. Just cheap depth signings and wait for next year again.

Wait for what? What’s to say Luiz and or kamara are here next season? If this season goes to shite I can see Emi getting a champions league move too. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good quote this is think:

'Newcastle are a chain of strong links, both in the starting 11, and on the bench. Villa have eight or nine strong links, but two or three weak ones. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.'

To be fair we were missing 3 players in Ramsey, Moreno and Buendia who all played when we destroyed them at VP and then lost Mings. You take 4 starters out the Newcastle team and that chain looks different. Not saying that Newcastle haven’t got a stronger squad btw. In reality they should have having spent £500m in the last 18 months.