Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

An U20 right back from Spain looks like a very strong possibility. 

Ferran Torres would be absolutely ridiculous. If we had a starting 3 of Torres, Watkins and Diaby, we'd be laughing. 

Fresnada from Valladolid hasn't gone anywhere yet, they got relegated to Segunda so would certainly welcome 15m +.

• Like 3

With clubs signing old academy players to re-join their under 21s as mentors towards the end of their career (Spearing at Liverpool, McShane / Evans at Man Utd) - what would people say to someone like Clark signing for us? He's 34 in September, could do a job lower down the league ladder but if he's thinking about coaching or staying in football it could be a tempting offer. 

20 minutes ago, skarroki said:

With clubs signing old academy players to re-join their under 21s as mentors towards the end of their career (Spearing at Liverpool, McShane / Evans at Man Utd) - what would people say to someone like Clark signing for us? He's 34 in September, could do a job lower down the league ladder but if he's thinking about coaching or staying in football it could be a tempting offer. 

Only if he’s got the attributes to be of benefit.  I don’t want it to be a job for the boys type thing just because he an old ex player and has experience.

• Like 2

We don't need old timers taking up a space that a youngster could use for development time, was bad enough last season Guilbert playing for the U21s, would rather just give the game time to an actual academy player. I wouldn't be surprised if the FA put a stop to the practice.

• Like 2

Ooh a GK link … Reportedly we’ve enquired about Matej Kovar from Manure who’s available for £6million …. 

The 23-year-old spent last season on loan in his native Czech Republic, making 32 appearances for Sparta Prague. According to Czech outlet Idnes, Manchester United are “working on the option” of allowing Kovar to leave on loan once again.

The report claims he would remain in Englandand that Hull would be interested in drafting him on a temporary basis. However, it it also claimed Aston Villa and Spanish outfit Cadiz have shown an interest in recruiting Kovar on a permanent deal.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city-and-aston-villa-interested-in-manchester-uniteds-ex-swindon-town-and-burton-albion-goalkeeper-4237836

• Like 1

'Southampton are looking at Lamare Bogarde ahead of the new season, with the side believing that the 19-year-old Aston Villa midfielder could offer a respite for if the side were to sell Romeo Lavia. Liverpool are thought to be making a second bid for Lavia, while personal terms won’t be an issue. Southampton are looking for a replacement for the upcoming season and see Bogarde as someone who could potentially take over from Lavia ahead of their Championship season. We are told that, at this stage, Aston Villa are not willing to let Bogarde leave on a permanent deal, something the Saints have asked. The club would rather let the teenager leave on loan and compete at a high level before coming back into the fold in the future down the line.'

Footballtransfers.com

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Ooh a GK link … Reportedly we’ve enquired about Matej Kovar from Manure who’s available for £6million …. 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city-and-aston-villa-interested-in-manchester-uniteds-ex-swindon-town-and-burton-albion-goalkeeper-4237836

I've not seen him play but, judging by the other clubs linked, I dont think he is the standard we need. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I've not seen him play but, judging by the other clubs linked, I dont think he is the standard we need. 

So what about Diaby then who was wanted by Al-Nassr ? Does the same apply ? He’s just won the league with Sparta Prague and has been developed by Manure … 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

So what about Diaby then who was wanted by Al-Nassr ? Does the same apply ? He’s just won the league with Sparta Prague and has been developed by Manure … 

How are the two remotely comparable? 

Just now, duke313 said:

How are the two remotely comparable? 

Judging players by teams linked is inconsequential was my point. Just because Kovar has only been linked with Hull & Cadiz doesn’t mean he cannot progress into a top level keeper. 

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Al-Nassr are after top tier players so it's not a good comparison. Put it this way, Olson could manage to get a loan deal to Hull or Cadiz. If he was ready to play for a top half Premier league side bigger clubs would be interested or Man Utd would be more willing to keep him as backup.

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Judging players by teams linked is inconsequential was my point. Just because Kovar has only been linked with Hull & Cadiz doesn’t mean he cannot progress into a top level keeper. 

I don't think Hull and Al-Nassr are in the market for the same players.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, John said:

I've been thinking about EFL GK's, that could do a job with us again. Does anyone think we could consider Freddie Woodman from Preston? 

Woodman left to be first choice keeper after being a perennial loaned GK for Newcastle. Can't see him giving up guaranteed game time at PNE to sit on our bench ahead of Olsen. 

Also FWIW I think he's a top GK for the championship but I wouldn't want him as our cup GK or in net for a while. My Dad is a PNE season ticket holder so I go to a lot of the games and he's relatively consistent, but does have a poor choice of distribution in him.

He's not as commanding of the box as Martinez, he'd rather pin himself to the line and hope the CBs deal with it on a corner than try to get a fist on an in-swinger. Now you could say that's due to instructions but I've watched pre-match training sessions where they're taking corners and the GKs take it in turns to run out and grab the ball, so it's an odd thing to drill pre-match if you don't want them doing it during the match. 

If he's directly ignoring instructions then it won't wash with Emery. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

This is a great shout - I was thinking more along the lines of Hourihane who has a more recent connection. Remember doing a double take when I saw the 'Paul McShane signs for MUFC'.

• Like 1