Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

For me our squad is really deep in most places. [] means primarily plays another position. 

GK - Martinez, Olsen, Youth (Need a better backup than Olsen don't want to play him 30 games)

LB - Moreno, Digne, Revan (This is fantastic rotation quality players, digne might be the best backup LB in the league) 

CB - Mings, Torres, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers, [Dendoncker] (We have a tonne of depth and versatility here) 

RB - Cash, [Konsa], [Chambers] (Too light here, one injury to cash and it severely weakens both our rb and CB depth).

DM - Kamara, [Luiz], Dendoncker, [Chambers], [McGinn] (this is fine though one injury to kamara on dendoncker could mean Chambers has to start some games here). 

CM - Luiz, Tielemans, [JJ], [McGinn] (solid depth here as long as we sign a new winger to cover McGinn or Ramseys positions should they rotate here). 

RM - McGinn, JPB, [Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey, Diaby] 

LM - JJ, Buendia, Coutinho, AJ, [Bailey, Diaby] 

RF - Diaby, Bailey, Traore [Buendia, Coutinho]

ST - Watkins, Archer, Duran, [Diaby] (good depth here if we think argcer can cut it) 

We are still a bit light at RB, GK and in the 3 wing positions, though one more strong signing there probably completes that group. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

he clearly is back up.  he's nowhere near as effective going forward as moreno and he's a liability in defence.  if he wasn't on such high wages I'm sure emery would have moved him on and brought in a younger understudy to moreno.  no one wants him on those wages so emery is doing what a good manager should and accepting him and getting behind him as much as possible.  work with what you've got.  guaranteed when moreno is back and fit he's first choice on the team sheet.

To be honest we probably need to sign a first choice younger left back next summer. Both Moreno and Digne are 30 and as full backs that is quite old. Moreno was impressive last season but very reliant on pace so could decline in the next 1-2 years.

37 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

the only other thing is if emery doesnt think we need to spend that much and save for future windows

He might be impressed with Philogene and A Ramsey / Archer enough to it need to go and spend big on another player, you can definitely have too many players, as Chelsea found out so we need to be mindful of the harmony and culture of the squad - the answer isn’t always to just buy more players for sure 

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

*tin hat on* 

I don’t think it’s the end for Coutinho, I think Emery can get a lot out of him and he’ll be an asset this year 😬 

Completely agree! Coutinho back to his best in Emery’s system could be absolutely lethal.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I guess he's useful to have as he covers multiple positions but I don't see him playing much unless we have a severe injury crisis and if that happens our results will definitely suffer.

I just don't think you understand how many games we have to play. If we aren't eliminated in the league cup before the quarter final we play 32 games before New Year. That's 141 days - there are 3 international breaks which means 2 weeks with no club games. Which means essentially 32 games in about 99 days. We want some rotation playing 1 game a week, let alone 2 or 3 some within 48 hours of another. 

Take DM for instance, our options there are Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Dendoncker and Chambers. Mcginn, Luiz and Kamara all start in our strongest lineups. If dendoncker is hurt, that means if there is a quick turnaround Chambers has to start.

Or for defence if Cash is hurt and one of Mings, Torres or Carlos is injured. Konsa becomes starting RB and Chambers is the 3rd choice CB. That means Chambers can either be rotated in at rb or CB. 

As it stands all it takes for Chambers to be a necessary rotation piece is one injury in midfield, or 2 in defence. Even if we sign a new rb. Still all it takes is 3 injuries. And again we play so many games so close together that having something of an injury crisis isn't just a possibility it's an almost certainty. Chambers covering 3 positions saves us from having to sign 3 more backups who we may not even be able to register in the squad. 

56 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

70 mill is nothing these days and if it stays like that the budget wasnt as big has we hoped

80plus whatever the sign on fees were.

it’s at this time of the year I remind fellow fans that it’s straight out the owners pocket not the clubs money 

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

80plus whatever the sign on fees were.

it’s at this time of the year I remind fellow fans that it’s straight out the owners pocket not the clubs money 

76 including add ons, plus sign on fees. Which I doubt are more than 10 mil. 

And it is the clubs money. At most 35 million of it is the owners money. Because prem teams are allowed 105 million in losses over 3 years, 15 without owner investment, plus 90 million in cash injection. 

Edited by MotoMkali

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

F2JGHMbWsBwZPve?format=png&name=small

There will be a few tears in Watford!

Where's their ITK gang gone who all claimed it was Wesley they were signing?   😂

Hope it’s Davis… and some 💰 for him…

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

76 including add ons, plus sign on fees. Which I doubt are more than 10 mil. 

Don't think we need to worry too much about specifics, it's around £80m (maybe £83m if we're being specific) as we'll most likely pay the add ons for both Torres and Diaby, or we can assume we will for FFP purposes.

Signing on fees go to the player directly so don't get recorded as transfer fees.

11 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

F2JGHMbWsBwZPve?format=png&name=small

There will be a few tears in Watford!

Where's their ITK gang gone who all claimed it was Wesley they were signing?   😂

To be fair, Keinan is a safer and more proven signing for them won't he be?

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, Keinan is a safer and more proven signing for them won't he be?

Absolutely.

I just recall a few weeks ago someone on here posted about some Watford fans on Twitter giving it all ITK that Wesley is signing because they were lining up a striker from Villa.

As you say, it wa always going to be Davis out of the two.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

To be honest we probably need to sign a first choice younger left back next summer. Both Moreno and Digne are 30 and as full backs that is quite old. Moreno was impressive last season but very reliant on pace so could decline in the next 1-2 years.

yeah this is fair enough, although tbh I'd be looking for that young left back now and be looking to move on digne now, but maybe the sensible thing is to get Moreno fully fit and to his best before moving digne on and bringing in an inexperienced younger backup or even a younger more expensive replacement next summer.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would anyone take Adama back?

No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would anyone take Adama back?

100%

With Emery's coaching he'd add another dimension. Be a great option off the bench. 

I think he'd come with some motivation as well. 

19 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No

saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Don't think we need to worry too much about specifics, it's around £80m (maybe £83m if we're being specific) as we'll most likely pay the add ons for both Torres and Diaby, or we can assume we will for FFP purposes.

Signing on fees go to the player directly so don't get recorded as transfer fees.

As far as I can tell it's 28 for Torres and 34.6 for Diaby. Plus 4.3 and 8.6 mil in add ons respectively.

So significantly less than 83 million (which I assume comes 33 + 50 which don't seem to be accurate figures).