Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

We've spent around £70m this window but not really sold anyone for any significant funds, Wesley and Nakamba brought in very little I suspect, but they are wages off the books and players not good enough moved on. I was hoping for a £100m+ spend this window so would be hoping for at least one more big signing. Maybe on a right back then we loan a really good attacking player like Torres.

My wishlist would be:

• Right back - upgrade on Cash (not a young unproven player)
  • Attacking midfielder - upgrade on Buendia, similar type of player but better and more consistent
  • Backup goalkeeper - upgrade on Olsen

Sell in priority order:

• Hause/Davis (weakest players in our squad, Championship calibre)
  • Olsen 
  • Chambers
  • Traore
  • Coutinho 

We should only sell Traore and Coutinho if another attacking player is coming in, otherwise keep as they're useful squad players to have with a lot of games to play. 

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We've spent around £70m this window but not really sold anyone for any significant funds, Wesley and Nakamba brought in very little I suspect, but they are wages off the books and players not good enough moved on. I was hoping for a £100m+ spend this window so would be hoping for at least one more big signing. Maybe on a right back then we loan a really good attacking player like Torres.

My wishlist would be:

• Attacking midfielder - upgrade on Buendia, similar type of player but better and more consistent

Sell in priority order:

• Olsen 
  • Chambers
  • Traore
  • Coutinho 

We should only sell Traore and Coutinho if another attacking player is coming in, otherwise keep as they're useful squad players to have with a lot of games to play. 

70 mill is nothing these days and if it stays like that the budget wasnt as big has we hoped

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

70 mill is nothing these days and if it stays like that the budget wasnt as big has we hoped

Actually it is £80m, my maths is wrong - c. £50m on Diaby (with add ons) and c. £30m on Torres. Tielemans on a free. 

But yes you would be hoping for another significant signing given we have just qualified for Europe for the first time in 13 years with a manager capable of pushing us towards the top 4.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Digne is not a back up, he’s an alternative. There is a difference and he’s a valuable member of the squad. He will play loads this season.

We aren’t in a position yet to have two players like Dinge and Couthino on the wages they are on to be playing as alternatives.  Another year or two maybe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Actually it is £80m, my maths is wrong - c. £50m on Diaby (with add ons) and c. £30m on Torres. Tielemans on a free. 

But yes you would be hoping for another significant signing given we have just qualified for Europe for the first time in 13 years with a manager capable of pushing us towards the top 4.

the only other thing is if emery doesnt think we need to spend that much and save for future windows

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

My wishlist would be:

Sell in priority order:

• Olsen 
  • Chambers
  • Traore
  • Coutinho 

I didn't expect that we would. Anyone that we would get any real money for, we don't want to see go. 

I wouldn't be desperate to sell the third or last on your list and would add another forward to your wish list, in the hope that we could spend up to another £70m to do so.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

No you can’t be serious?

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I didn’t present an opinion. I just asked a question. 

Actually seen it suggested today, and it's actually something i've thought of, but never wanted to say out loud. lol

On a  very low fee, i feel there is a high potential upside, even as a squad player.

Rapid and built like a tank, who is to tell is, with the right coaching, and good players around him, he couldn't make useful impact?

1 minute ago, John said:

I didn't expect that we would. Anyone that we would get any real money for, we don't want to see go. 

I wouldn't be desperate to sell the third or last on your list and would add another forward to your wish list, in the hope that we could spend up to another £70m to do so.  

Think that would be optimistic but I agree with you. Certainly if both Traore and Coutinho go then two new forward players should really be coming in with the amount of games next season.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

Or we simply couldn't find anyone appropriate to spend the money on. We got 3 players who can start for European Prem teams for 70 million.

The only holes in our squad depth are really RB, Backup GK and ST (and that may be covered by Duran and Archer) as well as maybe a wing position.

Like who else do we really need to sign. We can save what's left in the transfer kitty for January when more pressing needs become obvious or for even next year. 

You have to remember it's not just about spending money for rhe sake of spending money, it's about extracting value. If we spent 60 million on goncalves imo that would be a waste of money, we were interested in at about 40 mil but 50% more? No way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

My wishlist would be:

Sell in priority order:

• Olsen 
  • Chambers
  • Traore
  • Coutinho 

I definitely wouldn't sell Chambers. 5th choice CB, 3rd or 4th choice RB (and if Konsa is playing rb that bumps him up the CB pecking order), and 4th choice CDM. 

If we do decently in every competition we basically play 60 games in 200 days (when factoring in the international breaks). We need players who can come in to start if necessary even as 4th choice because 2 injuries and then a quick turnaround between games means we need to rotate. Chambers covers 3 positions at a premier league standard. Moving him on would cost us more than we'd gain. 

24 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Based on Ornsteins reporting it's more like 63 in base fees, 13 in add ons, and whatever the signings bonuses are. So probably like 10 mil for the 3. But generally speaking it's more like 70 as of this moment. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Digne is not a back up, he’s an alternative. There is a difference and he’s a valuable member of the squad. He will play loads this season.

he clearly is back up.  he's nowhere near as effective going forward as moreno and he's a liability in defence.  if he wasn't on such high wages I'm sure emery would have moved him on and brought in a younger understudy to moreno.  no one wants him on those wages so emery is doing what a good manager should and accepting him and getting behind him as much as possible.  work with what you've got.  guaranteed when moreno is back and fit he's first choice on the team sheet.

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

I definitely wouldn't sell Chambers. 5th choice CB, 3rd or 4th choice RB (and if Konsa is playing rb that bumps him up the CB pecking order), and 4th choice CDM. 

If we do decently in every competition we basically play 60 games in 200 days (when factoring in the international breaks). We need players who can come in to start if necessary even as 4th choice because 2 injuries and then a quick turnaround between games means we need to rotate. Chambers covers 3 positions at a premier league standard. Moving him on would cost us more than we'd gain. 

I guess he's useful to have as he covers multiple positions but I don't see him playing much unless we have a severe injury crisis and if that happens our results will definitely suffer.

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Actually seen it suggested today, and it's actually something i've thought of, but never wanted to say out loud. lol

On a  very low fee, i feel there is a high potential upside, even as a squad player.

Rapid and built like a tank, who is to tell is, with the right coaching, and good players around him, he couldn't make useful impact?

The amount of coaches who've gone "with the right coaching hed be amazing" and he's still failed. Thick as a plank of wood and whilst Emery is clearly a good coach, no point bothering with Adama

• Like 3