Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Can’t envisage a scenario where we don’t sign at least another attacking player that can play as a striker if Watkins gets injured. 

Ultimately at present, our season is over if Martinez gets injured and very much curtailed if Watkins gets injured. We need to, and will address that. 

Exactly this which I why I said both of them are currently priceless when responding to a poster that said Kamara was priceless. 

We go in to the new season with no new reserve keeper or cover for Ollie and you just know one of both of them will get injured. It’s the Villa way!

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ultimately at present, our season is over if Martinez gets injured and very much curtailed if Watkins gets injured. We need to, and will address that. 

Great way to phrase it.

Keeper absolutely essential, forward/RB/LB are nice to haves if there right player is there for the right price.

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

1. whats an outside back?, clearly know nothing about football (fyi - i know what one is......)

2. one of the best young fullbacks in the world?, playing in Liga 2?, a slight overstatement maybe.

Not saying you're wrong, but at his age Harry Kane was playing for Norwich and Jack Grealish at Notts County. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our system demands a ball-playing GK. I don't expect to find someone at Emi's level who's willing to be a backup, but we need someone better at playing the ball then Olsen. To me, that's priority #1 right now.

A striker would be nice, but is lower priority. We could probably do with McGinn and Diaby as a makeshift pair, or maybe Archer or Duran will come good. The problem is that a striker at even Danny Ings level will want regular playing time, which is why Ings isn't here anymore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Luiz also made the same mistake. so yeah, only seems Donk is held to account for it.

tbh, Donk, Luiz and kamara all made the same type of mistake, Kamara made it twice but was only punished once, none of them should be considered s*** by fans for making a mistake like that, unless they continue doing it again and again.

it's the exact same mistake that comes from playing the ball out from the back. It will happen again this year, but the benefits to playing out from the back outweigh the negative of this mistake

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

it's the exact same mistake that comes from playing the ball out from the back. It will happen again this year, but the benefits to playing out from the back outweigh the negative of this mistake

What the goalkeeper should never be doing is playing the ball out to a player on the edge of his own area facing his own goal, not knowing who is behind them

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

we need to recycle our financial assets at some point. 

As good as Donk is as backup, he’s not going to get better. let’s flip him for someone with potential. 

keeps FFP demons at bay and gives us a chance to improve the squad long term. 

this is exactly what I would be open to selling a player like Konsa, Dendoncker, Bailey, Buendía or McGinn for FFP purposes. Allows us to cash in on a player will give us breathing room within ffp for the upcoming years. Deciding that we are not going to sell any of our best players is what we all want, but we are not at the financial level commercially that we are able to do so. Unfortunately, the reality of ffp. 

29 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Mentioned him the other day think Amine Gouiri is the perfect versatile forward as he can cover the left wing and would be a perfect replacement/alternative to Watkins. 

https://fbref.com/en/players/aad56ca3/scout/365_m1/Amine-Gouiri-Scouting-Report

Fully agree.

I think the only thing that's held him back is he's a bit of a shitbag. But he's older, wise now. 

All the talent, not hugely consistent. Enter el professor. He could be outstanding.

He's just switched to Algeria so something to consider. Losing him for African nations every two years would be irritating.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

What the goalkeeper should never be doing is playing the ball out to a player on the edge of his own area facing his own goal, not knowing who is behind them

Yep. Elementary, I would have thought.

42 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Allows us to cash in on a player will give us breathing room within ffp for the upcoming years.

Sorry, I disagree with you on this one. Keeping our best players increases our chance of getting into the CL, which would raise our FFP ceiling and more than make up for selling one of them.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Exactly...  Every club that does this "sell one of our best players and replace him with a potential bargain" strategy like Leicester, Southampton, Swansea, Bournemouth, etc.  all eventually sell all their best players and are left with an aging mediocre squad on massive wages while circling the drain toward relegation.  Good clubs keep hold of their best players and only sell up when they absolutely have to.  

Except Sevilla, they’ve won several Europa Leagues doing just that, and with our current President of Football Operations as their Sporting Director no less.

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Except Sevilla, they’ve won several Europa Leagues doing just that, and with our current President of Football Operations as their Sporting Director no less.

Yeah?  Then why are the in the middle of a financial mess right now?  They're trying to sell anyone and everyone in the team to try to balance their books.  5 years from now they'll be yet another cautionary tale.  

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yep. Elementary, I would have thought.

Yes and no, the way we play is to deliberately take real risks in possession playing out from the back to create a kind of counter attack without losing the ball. To create a situation like that dangerous moment when there's a turnover in your favour and you can counter. It will sometimes go wrong and it will look horrendous when it does.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Yeah?  Then why are the in the middle of a financial mess right now?  They're trying to sell anyone and everyone in the team to try to balance their books.  5 years from now they'll be yet another cautionary tale.  

They have a absolute **** bucketload of Europa Leagues though ay

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

They have a absolute **** bucketload of Europa Leagues though ay

Yes, but fortunately a main reason for three of them is at Villa Park now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Like every Spanish team then?