Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

In terms of his Output....he is less efficient than Ollie.

What metrics are you using? They are very different players, they would be complimentary to each other in the team not a direct replacement 

Edited by nick76

We should steer cleer of Felix. He is a talented player but not delivered the goods, and we have signed a lot of players like that over the years. I don't want to ruin our FFP and budget on securing a player who has a high chance of failing to meet expectations, and for whom we are not in his top choices. After failing at chelsea last year i think he will be demotivated and we are not the club for him

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

What metrics are you using? They are very different players, they would be complimentary to each other.

Goals.

True.....While still both forwards....forwards have to score goals as you know, with your KD , views ( of which I agree, bye the way)

I have my doubts.......We will see if the man that matters, wants him.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So what’s the answer? he’s already been banished out of first team training. The manager/player relationship is completely broken. Also having that player hanging around the club like that isn’t good.  Also for Spanish clubs £10m+ a season isn’t nothing to sniff at in the current climate over there.  

Then for Felix he’ll not want to lose money but he’ll want to play football because he’ll want his stock to be high for his next club for his next contract.

Additionally it might not just be a loan, it could be a loan to buy or loan with option to buy or if the loan is successful then bigger clubs might be interested in paying big fee next season end.  None of this happens if he’s sitting on the sides in Madrid.

This is complicated, and there is no simple answer to this.

From Atletico Madrid’s point of view, if they sell him on the cheap, they will have take a massive loss this year, because of FFS could hamper them in future transfers. If he stays they can divide up the loss over the next 3-4 years.

From Felix’s point of view, if he comes here on £125,000 a week, he need a 8 year contract to earn the same as his current contract with Atletico Madrid. Yes, he can impress here and get a transfer where he get back to a £250,000 a week or higher contract, but there Is no guarantee for that.

From Villa’s point of view, if we can get him on load, with no fee and 50% of wages paid by Atletico Madrid, that would just be some amazing business.

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Where did you get that from?  The reason he wants to move from Atletico is the way Simeone plays. Simeone was set to leave end of the season but it appears he’s still there. The lad just wants to enjoy football at a high level nothing wrong with that.

He won't move to a club without Champions League football, despite adding very little to the worst Chelsea team in years. Anyone coming in mid-season should have been able to look good compared to the rest of them, but he looked no better than all the other strugglers.

I don't particularly want him at Villa tbqh with you. Attitude doesn't sound great to me, and would be hugely overpaid in an already inflated market. We can do better for less, and he doesn't want to come anyway, so it's all moot.

Edited by est1874

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Goals.

True.....While still both forwards....forwards have to score goals as you know, with your KD , views ( of which I agree, bye the way)

I have my doubts.......We will see if the man that matters, wants him.

I have to disagree with you on this one @TRO

Some forwards are there to compliment a partner.  Bergkamp at Arsenal as an example, he scored single figures some seasons, he was there to support Henry, who did all the scoring.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No I meant the issue isn’t work ethic, the issue is Felix doesn’t fit Simone’s style.

I read somewhere, that Simone said " He wasn't a soldier".....Now, I think we know, what he is saying......things in football, don't come on a plate...you have to graft for opportunities.

I don't honestly know why a club would pay in excess of £100 mill and not do due dilligence on the player....to find out what Simone, now knows.

Its one of them.....Folk fancy him or don't....I think he fits in to the "Vanity player" category.

Edited by TRO

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

It could be just a miserable time in his footballing life, who knows, he was player of the year at Athletico a few seasons ago, so somethings gone wrong....

He was player of the season for Atletico a year ago mate. 

I am not so sure a lot has gone wrong with him in fairness. He is 23 years old and has been playing first team football for 5 years, the first four of which he was on a steep upward trajectory. Last season after apparently not seeing eye to eye with Simeone he was eventually shipped out to a Chelsea side who finished the season as a bit of a basket case being managed by Frank Lampard. Despite that last season in 18 La Liga and Premier League starts he scored 8 goals and had 3 assists which is still decent for an attacking mid/second striker. 

I doubt he will end up with us but I think he is a very talented player, not yet near his prime, who will in the right environment thrive again. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I have to disagree with you on this one @TRO

Some forwards are there to compliment a partner.  Bergkamp at Arsenal as an example, he scored single figures some seasons, he was there to support Henry, who did all the scoring.

Dennis had a career goal scoring rate, Similar to Ollies......so while he wasn't prolific, he was a steady goal scorer with 11 seasons in double digits......His goal scoring dropped off, in his last few seasons, which happens with many goalscorers.

However, I get yours and Nicks point.....some fowards are renowned more for their complimentary work....but, when the team starts losing, or goes on an iffy run....those stats will be heavily scrutinised.

Players have all sorts of descriptions, when they are playing.....but when it comes down to it, they have to do what is suggested on the tin .....that goes for defenders too.

28 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He was player of the season for Athletico a year ago mate. 

I am not so sure a lot has gone wrong with him in fairness. He is 23 years old and has been playing first team football for 5 years, the first four of which he was on a steep upward trajectory. Last season after apparently not seeing eye to eye with Simeone he was eventually shipped out to a Chelsea side who finished the season as a bit of a basket case being managed by Frank Lampard. Despite that last season in 18 La Liga and Premier League starts he scored 8 goals and had 3 assists which is still decent for an attacking mid/second striker. 

I doubt he will end up with us but I think he is a very talented player, not yet near his prime, who will in the right environment thrive again. 

I am commenting on him as a forward.... we have a new winger arriving, and plenty of midfielders.

I have not questioned his talent Mark.....I have questioned his effectiveness in team performances....I have seen him for Portugal, and not been impressed.

He has scored 29 goals in 115 appearances, in his last 4 seasons......hardly warrants £100 mill plus transfer, or huge loan fees.

If his "Player of the season" mattered that much, ( scored 10 goals) I'm sure Atletico ( fans and manager) would cut him some slack, and rally around him....but that does influence me, when I watch him play, I say what I see...He was probably playing well ,then....not much help to now, is it?.......see Dele Alli.

You may not think anything has gone wrong with him, I think the valuation of this player is highly inflated ( for how he performs now) and I think he is chairman of his own Fan club.....but that's just my take on him.

I say it again, for me he is a "Vanity Player".

However if the Gaffer wants him.....I will back him.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, allani said:

I think our "front 3" all need to be scoring at least 10 goals this season and probably assisting a similar number - so ideally close to 20 goal contributions each - if we really want to be challenging for higher positions in the league.  Ollie and Diaby look set to be able to achieve that - but it would be a massive ask from Buendia, Coutinho, McGinn or Tielemans to get anywhere near that type of number.  Ramsey is probably the closest we have to a player that could do that but I would be surprised if we push him into a more advanced role as he is better I think driving from slightly deeper and / or arriving from deep and getting himself into an unmarked position.

It is possibly a matter of semantics in terms of what is a "10" and what is a wide player / winger.  I mean a Ferran Torres type player would probably be classified as a wide player - but like Diaby can drift inside / play through the middle.  Whereas a Felix type would probably play more centrally - which wouldn't leave us short on the left as we generally look for our LB to provide width and Ollie's natural inclination is to drift slightly to the left at times (ps - I am not suggesting that we move Ollie to play wide-left - just that he tends to drift that way from the CF position).  We've been linked with plenty of players who could play either role (or both) and I think that will be our next priority position.  Whether that is more of an inside forward or a "10" - but either is more likely than an out and out winger / wide player.

Our starting defence and midfield look pretty balanced - so adding similar balance and options in the attacking third is critical.  Then we are down to adding depth - i.e. right back (either to start or to challenge Cash) and back-up goalkeeper.

Correct And felix is that player i feel would be perfect as he can get goals

Diaby and Felix either side of watkins, well felix would be more centralized to the left but we could make that work im sure of it