Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So three Champions League clubs and we’ve just joined the race…c’mon at least make it real Daily Mail.   May as well say I’ve joined the race to date Ana De Armas with Chris Hemsworth, Jason Momoa and Harry Styles already interested.

No space at Newcastle currently if they sign someone like Barnes. Adds to ASM, Gordon, Almiron and Isak was playing wide left in the run in.

Arsenal could've been in but they signed Havertz instead and Trossard is more of the back up to Saka and Martinelli.

Man. United...could see interest there given how Ten Haag has got them playing and they could slot him in as a false 9 rather than out wide.

I think we'd have a decent chance personally if we put in a serious bid.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m so sceptical of anyone who comes from the bundesliga, I thought that’s what we were getting with Bailey to be honest 

I think Diaby is actually quick though. As oppose to Bailey, who isn’t quick at all (whether or not you put that down to his injury or not).

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m so sceptical of anyone who comes from the bundesliga, I thought that’s what we were getting with Bailey to be honest 

I think the general issue is so many Bundesliga clubs park their defences near the halfway line even if they're winning so with the right pass there's always a decent chance of beating the offside trap and being through on goal.

Haaland's debut for Dortmund v I think Augsburg is a classic example, they were 3-1 up with half an hour left and so were placing their backline in similar position to what we were doing v Spurs but a team near the bottom will never quite execute it that well.

Coming here and will be facing teams like Wolves, Everton and Sheffield United playing very deep so you have to get round them in different ways and that can be tricky games for quick wide players.

He can play more centrally aswell so I think that's really important to have someone else you can be confident playing there if Ollie picks up a knock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think the general issue is so many Bundesliga clubs park their defences near the halfway line even if they're winning so with the right pass there's always a decent chance of beating the offside trap and being through on goal.

Haaland's debut for Dortmund v I think Augsburg is a classic example, they were 3-1 up with half an hour left and so were placing their backline in similar position to what we were doing v Spurs but a team near the bottom will never quite execute it that well.

Coming here and will be facing teams like Wolves, Everton and Sheffield United playing very deep so you have to get round them in different ways and that can be tricky games for quick wide players.

He can play more centrally aswell so I think that's really important to have someone else you can be confident playing there if Ollie picks up a knock.

Thing is for Bailey he has never consistently been able to beat his man one on one. He has moments here and there but he doesn’t have the pace, tricks, strength to overpower most PL full backs. So priority number one in any player we buy in that position is to rectify that weakness. 

Never seen Diaby play so no idea if he’s stronger than Bailey in these points or not. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

That Haaland kid has done OK.... 😉

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I wonder if Leverkusen would take £££ and Bailey back for Diaby …

Might as well keep Bailey for depth.

• Like 2

I wonder if some clubs leak their "interest" in players to drive their price up and put pressure on other clubs who are known to have legitimate interest..

• Like 1

Not just the Daily Mail, it’s now the bloke that broke the Bailey transfer news has said we’re interested in Diaby. It would be a major coup to get him, maybe even more so than Pau, and he’s a coup.

EDIT: ignore me, he IS the Daily Mail

Edited by alreadyexists

38 minutes ago, Leeroy said:
50 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So three Champions League clubs and we’ve just joined the race…c’mon at least make it real Daily Mail.   May as well say I’ve joined the race to date Ana De Armas with Chris Hemsworth, Jason Momoa and Harry Styles already interested.

And we haven't signed players linked withChampions League teams before have we......

You misunderstand, Ana would pick me every time…

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Emery apparently stated his preferred formations are 433 or 4141 "IF" he has the right players to play it, as in his opinion those formations offer the best overall balance of effective pressing, attack, and balanced defence.

He said that in 2016. That means it's completely irrelevant when it comes to current Emery. 7 years ago and PSG, Arsenal and Villarreal along with massive changes in football tactics have happened between a quote we have and today.

Why people want to have a quote instead of just studying and watching what he does. 

We've lots of football games from Villarreal and Villa to study 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Can’t see us spending 30 million euro on a midfielder now 

I can if we plan to switch to a genuine 433. Not saying we will or that’s the plan, but to play that, especially given we’re in Europe, one might argue we need another central midfielder (not sure I agree with it either). 

• Like 2

I think something that’s struck me is that Emery wants flexibility and not to be labelled with one formation. He adapts, and we need a squad that can adapt and be flexible to contest with our opponents 

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

People will probably just see Leverkusen and think he'll be another Bailey but he's younger and probably a little more proven, scored home and away in CL v Atletico Madrid for example and hit 15 in the end.

I think hanging on to Bailey whilst adding Moussa Diably would be perfect for this year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Am I supposed to take a link to Diaby seriously?

I would have thought he is above us.

Well, of course he's not above us in terms of what we know about ourselves, but yes, I do think Villa often get used by agents to leverage other deals with CL clubs, and this has that smell to it -- pure hunchery on my part though.

Edited by Marka Ragnos