Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

27 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why are Gnonto and Barnes even in the conversation? Lazy links from relegated clubs, easy to make up. Want to break the top 6 and looking at players not on top 6 radar other than maybe some more lazy links. Why did we bother with scouts and Monchi?

Well we are apparently in talks with Leeds, 21m. Lot of news outlets starting to report it in past 30mins.  I’ll let Delphino open the new thread as he gets a kick out of opening threads by the looks of it 😃

• Haha 2

Gnonto is nothing like Adama I don't get that comparison at all, in fact what stood out to me most of all about him whenever I saw him play last season was the fact for a player of his type and young age he had very good decision making, and also didn't always try and do everything himself, knew when to try something or when to pass to a teammate.

Leeds dropped him towards the end of the season, but most Leeds fans baffled by that and blame it on poor managerial decisions rather than the player actually being poor, which shouldn't be hard for Villa fans to relate to, Gerrard dropped the likes of Luiz, Mings and so on, a player getting dropped isn't always their fault.

You don't get as many caps for Italy that Gnonto has at his age if you're not a very promising player, even if Italy aren't as good as usual at the moment.

I doubt our interest in him anyway, as he plays on the left cutting onto his right, he's not getting in our team ahead of Jacob, and as back-up to Jacob would probably block the pathway of Aaron, if we want a player of his type makes much more sense for us to go for one that plays on the right hand side, which is why I think the winger is more likely to be someone like Williams, Johnson, Chukwueze or Henrique.

I think we will also sign an additional attacker as competition for Buendia.

Edited by useless
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, allani said:

The issue is that that low hanging fruit also seems to be massively over-valued by the clubs that got relegated.  If there are better fruit slightly higher up the tree that look more juicy and cost less then I'd be happy to climb past the expensive stuff on the lower branches.

which highlights my point about the club being savvy as to what selling clubs are keen to sell for, due to financial constraints.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

it doesn't mean the teams that have struggled last season don't have good players.....it means as a team, they have lost their way.

I think there is some low hanging fruit to be had.

^^^ THIS ^^^
Once again, too many fans are judging these players on how they performed with other clubs ..... with different team mates, different coaches, different styles. What our back room staff will be doing is looking at what they might offer within OUR club with our squad and our style. They may be deemed outstanding fits with what we want, irrespective of how they looked playing amongst donkeys with garbage coaches !

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, FLVillan said:

In January, we said no chance are we signing a left-back, not a real need as we have Digne, Augustinsson and Young to play there.  

And presto along came Moreno and Augustinsson was out the door!  In Unai I trust, and if he brings in another player I'm not going to make the mistake of questioning the wisdom of the signing or what will happen next.

To be honest, I wouldn't be very surprised to see Mings or Konsa get sold at a healthy profit.  Unlikely, but I trust this management at the club to get it right.  

We all questioned the sales of Gray and Gidman in 1979/80, and look what happened there! 

Unless we have secured the other prioritised positions and have room for another LB then maybe a possibility perhaps towards the end of the window. But in terms of seeing links saying villa have submitted a offer for XYZ then what I am saying is deem it to be FALSE because we are not looking in those areas, whether you trust the management or not i’m just saying it would not be true. 

Edited by RicRic

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Maybe if the injury is bad to Ramsey and requires surgery we might be back in for Guendouzi?

not sure why, they are in different positions.

We would need more of a Barnes, Chukwueze, Gnonto, Pino, Johnson type player to replace Ramsey, if needed.

With Ramsey's injury potentially serious we need minimum of two attacking players now if we didn't already. One attacking midfielder/playmaker type and one winger. Also no idea why we aren't being linked with right backs given Cash is our only one and he isn't good enough on the ball to be a regular starter.

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

With Ramsey's injury potentially serious we need minimum of two attacking players now if we didn't already. One attacking midfielder/playmaker type and one winger. Also no idea why we aren't being linked with right backs given Cash is our only one and he isn't good enough on the ball to be a regular starter.

There was a link to Pierre Kalulu yesterday 

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

not sure why, they are in different positions.

We would need more of a Barnes, Chukwueze, Gnonto, Pino, Johnson type player to replace Ramsey, if needed.

Why were people on here saying that the reason we were no longer interested in Guendouzi was because of the form of Ramsey towards the end of last season then?

Guendouzi can play multiple positions he's not just a CM.

Ramsey won't need replacing, we've got other players that can fill in and do his job, no need to spend tens of millions of another player, hopefully Ramsey not out too long anway, as well as players in senior squad that can play his role, we've also got younger players that can come into contention like Aaron Ramsey and Iroegbunam, both played on the left last season and did well, so could be squad players for us in that position if needed.

we were going to buy two more attackers anyway, a No.10 type to challenge Buendia and a winger to challenge Bailey.