Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

29 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think it’s interesting how Neves (only 26) is off to Saudi… previously we only really saw older players who had been exceptionally good in their hay day. Neves could’ve probably got a move to a CL team, not a PL one, but abroad I’m sure. But chose to take the money and essentially give up on the prime years of his career. 

It would so hard to turn down that much money though.  Football is such a short career especially the years players are likely to earn big money, which is generally only the prime years for most players.  Then thinking about your family and the rest of your life, taking advantage of that kind of money is only logical if you think about it over potential of some medals.  We glorify medals and trophies but these players also have to think of the rest of their lives, long after we have forgotten them.  I don’t agree with what is happening but I understand players taking advantage of the money (obviously this is before we discuss the political/human issues of these countries).

• Like 1

Just now, alreadyexists said:

Ahhh, is it all a big scam!? 

Same owners of both clubs so feels that way. Only time will tell. Does seem a bit too blatant though.  Hopefully for the sake of football he is playing out his contract there for the money.

• Like 1

this sums it up very well. Talks about the Saudi PIF owning Saudi clubs as well as a stake in Chelsea.. and now Chelsea just happen to be selling 3 High earners to said clubs. FFP in the gutter

• Like 1

I suppose in some respects you could say many players from South America only come to Europe for the money. They come to play in relegation battles or lower leagues rather than play for titles in their home countries.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

8 hours ago, the_eristic said:

We've been playing a kind of double pivot + two "8"s in the wide positions, if we stick with that we'll definitely need another mid, if we shift to three in the middle + the wide mids and/or let almost anyone leave we'll probably need two. We don't have any cover for the JJ and SJM roles on the flanks as Dougie, Kamara, Youri and The Donck are all pretty strictly central and not the quickest, and putting Bailey or Bert out there changes the system. Guess Buendia could be shifted back out wide like at Norwich but he hasn't been used that way much for us.

Well worth consideration imo. 

14 hours ago, macandally said:

I think the raw materials are there, but there is a lot of work to do (aka Nico Williams).  

in effect it’s our investment in the future

Nico Williams has better technique. Get his head up more, and is younger. Higher ceiling then Johnson.

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I suppose in some respects you could say many players from South America only come to Europe for the money. They come to play in relegation battles or lower leagues rather than play for titles in their home countries.

I think there is a slight difference.

European football is the highest level of football with the longest and most prestigious heritage.

Players all around the world dream to play in Madrid, Milan, Munich, or in England.

A transfer to a lower European side is a step in that direction. 

Going to Saudi is career ending, while can be very financially rewarding. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mic09 said:

I think there is a slight difference.

European football is the highest level of football with the longest and most prestigious heritage.

Players all around the world dream to play in Madrid, Milan, Munich, or in England.

A transfer to a lower European side is a step in that direction. 

Going to Saudi is career ending, while can be very financially rewarding. 

True. It is now yes. What if in 50 years the Middle East will have the most prosperous leagues in the world and all the Europeans dream to play there? 

Anyway better get back on topic.  I think we’re going to sign Harvey Barnes.

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thw lying football insiders claim we are closing on pau torres therfore i assume the deal is dead

I think they will only be jumping on the bandwagon of what has already been heavily stated already in other media outlets just so they can say "told you".

44 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

this sums it up very well. Talks about the Saudi PIF owning Saudi clubs as well as a stake in Chelsea.. and now Chelsea just happen to be selling 3 High earners to said clubs. FFP in the gutter

If I were villa I would just ignore it then and when they try and crack down just point out this blatant cheating 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Saudi will continue to throw money at it...

They have limitless funds which will help the Barcodes and Chelsea over the next few years.

After those three the battle every season will be for fourth place.

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Saudi will continue to throw money at it...

They have limitless funds which will help the Barcodes and Chelsea over the next few years.

After those three the battle every season will be for fourth place.

Chelsea have proved this season that money isn't enough, you need a proper setup.  Take City for example, they have more than just money, they have an unbelievable football setup from management all the way down to youth coaches.  We are putting a similar setup in place, which will be a lot more effective than just throwing money at it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They come to Europe to earn life changing money South Americans and African players live in third world conditions it’s a case of not lifting just themselves out of poverty but family and extended family and in some cases entire communities. Established Multi millionaire players heading to the Saudi league is a different thing all together.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Chelsea have proved this season that money isn't enough, you need a proper setup.  Take City for example, they have more than just money, they have an unbelievable football setup from management all the way down to youth coaches.  We are putting a similar setup in place, which will be a lot more effective than just throwing money at it.

Yeah but they will just poach our setup if successful 

The need to stop this shit from happening saudis are literally killing this game

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Chelsea already have the set-up, their reach is far greater than Villa.

Chelsea had a one season blip, I expect they will be back in top four contention next season.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but they will just poach our setup if successful 

The need to stop this shit from happening saudis are literally killing this game

It didn't work when they tried to poach Brighton's setup.

Just now, duke313 said:

It didn't work when they tried to poach Brighton's setup.

Wasnt that within thw last 12 months and also didnt newcastleget carabao cup final and CL football?

I would say thats a success

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Chelsea already have the set-up, their reach is far greater than Villa.

Chelsea had a one season blip, I expect they will be back in top four contention next season.

Only reason is because the saudis are helping them. Without them are nothing as shown this year