Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

That's great end product though. Scores twice as often as he should and creates tonnes of scoring opportunities for others. 

Good end product is 15 goal involvements 

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

?

Who denied or spoke against this?

Of course they’re looking for potential and quality at the same time. No one said they weren’t.

Having a difference of opinion on one player or a certain approach does not either cover or discount these extra points you’ve made.

Why are you assuming we’re even interested in this guy? 

Erm… I’ve already stated multiple times that there is no better judge than Unai when it comes to bringing in players and he should get who he wants.

We have zero insight, just opinions and speculation and that’s what this thread is for mainly?

It’s fine to disagree but no need to stretch that to accusing those that do for having a FM or FIFA mentality…

We can have civilised debates rather than getting annoyed at each other…

Read your post again (although my statement is more generalised).  You are singling out our fan base as they don’t agree with you? 

You say they will look against your proposed criteria, I am saying they will look wherever they can identify talent and develop it.

You were the one getting touchy! 😁

8 minutes ago, macandally said:

Read your post again (although my statement is more generalised).  You are singling out our fan base as they don’t agree with you? 

You say they will look against your proposed criteria, I am saying they will look wherever they can identify talent and develop it.

You were the one getting touchy! 😁

I didn’t single out our whole fanbase, just commented on sections of it and how they can be a little unambitious or restricted in views - more of an analysis than a criticism. Not necessarily a fault.

There are much worse things that can be identified (something I addressed in an earlier comment).

It’s got nothing to do with agreeing with me, I’ve never forced anyone to do that. It’s an accusation I don’t appreciate frankly.

I can have an opinion or thought without forcing it on anyone or assuming it as fact. I am entitled to it. 

Look, if you want an argument you’re wasting your time. It’s completely pointless.

Not being touchy, you said what you said, I don’t appreciate the provocation.

Let’s just relax. SG’s gone now 🤣

Edited by Jas10

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I didn’t single out our whole fanbase, just commented on sections of it and how they can be a little unambitious or restricted in views - more of an analysis than a criticism. Not necessarily a fault.

There are much worse things that can be identified (something I addressed in an earlier comment).

It’s got nothing to do with agreeing with me, I’ve never forced anyone to do that. It’s an accusation I don’t appreciate frankly.

I can have an opinion or thought without forcing it on anyone or assuming it as fact. I am entitled to it. 

Look, if you want an argument you’re wasting your time. It’s completely pointless.

Not being touchy, you said what you said, I don’t appreciate the provocation.

Let’s just relax. SG’s gone now 🤣

I have no interest in arguments at my age!

I think we agree that the is is a forum full of opinions, but 95% if not more have no clue as to Monchi/Emery plan.  That’s why the get the big bucks and we don’t!

If Saudi buying Neves just to sell him to Newcastle in a years time I feel like they could have picked a better player, Neves is okay, but I don't think he would even get in our midfield ahead of Luiz or Kamara, there's a reason why he's going to Saudi, none of the top clubs he's constantly linked with actually want him, Wolves been trying to sell him last few summers as need the money and contract running down but no top teams have made a move, he's a good player but not elite level, if he was to go to Newcastle that wouldn't make me think wow they're really reaching the next level.

Anyway if Newcastle really wanted Neves they wouldn't need a club in Saudi to buy him first, he was in the last year of his contract at Wolves and could have been gotten at a much lower price than the Saudi team are paying for him and for lower wages too, if they wanted him they could just buy him themselves this summer.

I think the trick behind this transfer might be more related to Mendes than Newcastle, if Saudi pay over the top for Neves, as part of the deal maybe Mendes will agree to send them some more players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Don't know much about Brennan Johnson, however have seen rave reviews about him.

The fact that Brentford seem to be after him as well is a good indicator for me.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Brenan Johnson is rubbish, but he isn't a player good enough to play consistently for a team in the top half of the table.

Brentford are shopping at five ways, we are shopping in the bullring!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, macandally said:

I have no interest in arguments at my age!

I think we agree that the is is a forum full of opinions, but 95% if not more have no clue as to Monchi/Emery plan.  That’s why the get the big bucks and we don’t!

Well, there’s one thing we can agree on.

Look, if Unai actually wants Brennan Johnson, Harvey Barnes or whoever else, and signs them, most of us will endorse and back that because he has gained our trust and faith.

But none of us even know if he is even interested in these players and comment as though he is…

We’re just speculating, theorising and sharing thoughts and opinions. No need to get annoyed or frustrated with each other for having opposing or differing views. Some of us are just explaining why we have the view we do.

Just because you like one player and I or another poster doesn’t or doesn’t rate them as highly, it doesn’t mean we have to hate each other 🤣

You accused me of trying to force my opinion on others, weren’t you at least as guilty of that (if there’s even any truth to that, which there isn’t)?

Ok, let’s leave it be. Apologies for any misunderstanding or offence.

I just didn’t agree with you  🤣

49 minutes ago, macandally said:

You can coach that, you cannot coach MGW to do the 100m in 12 seconds.

If you want to know how any elite sports academy works, that is the thought process. Technique can be taught, size and pace cannot 

Thanks didn’t know that. 

I'm a patient optimist, so I'm sat back enjoying the warm glow of being a Villa fan at this moment in time, and dreaming about quiet approaches being made for players such as Jonathan David and Pedro Goncalves, while adding up the goals that those two and Ollie Watkins would score for us next season. I can dream!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Exactly, we’re not going to majorly progress as a team unless we bring in a higher calibre of player. We need enhancements and upgrades, not to be wasting money on squad filler or the “same sorts”. Tbh, I’m usually underwhelmed by suggestions from a lot of people in our fan base and it often smacks of a lack of ambition or knowledge.

Said it before, but Unai (and Monchi) have a wealth of knowledge and experience, played against and watched so many players around the globe, they’re not going to restrict themselves to British based and overrated, overpriced players when they can go out and sign some genuine stars and gems… and get value while they’re at it. Monchi knows how to do that…

We managed 1.96 ppg for 24 matches.....that is going to be hard to get players in who can match that.

Our lads have turned their careers around, thanks to the maestro......its going to be hard to get in that quailty and personality, to even equal that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I see Newcastle linked to Josh Griffiths, he's someone I've wondered that we might looked at as potential new No.2 as our academy coaches openly rate him very highly and presumably first team coaches will be aware too.

I guess depends how highly we rate our own young keepers, James Wright seems to be doing very well, academy player of the year and made the bench towards the end of the season, he seems to have overtaken Marschall and Zych, if Sinisalo goes out on loan, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wright as third choice.

2 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Patchy? These are his combined goal contributions for the last 3 years 

22/23 - 19

21/22 - 30

20/21 - 21

If that’s patchy, I’ll take patchy! 

His record is decent but he seemed go missing when Leicester needed him that he even got dropped for a game im the run in

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Bull!

In a striker partnership each player has to occupy different spaces and offer the team different qualities. Both player want to stay high up, work the channels, and get in behind. This doesn't work!

The best strike partnerships have two strikers of differing strengths and one at least has a very good footballing brain. Shearer and Sherrigham. Shearer lead the line, Sheringham dropped off and linked things up. Yorke and Cole. Cole ran in behind was the poacher. Yorke dropped off linked up, carried the ball, and shot from range. Carew and Gabby. Carew held it up and won the aerial battles. Gabby was fast as f**k down the channels and in behind.

The only way a like for like partnership can work is if the two in question both can create and link up, work the channels, and get in behind, but had an opposite stronger foot, and played as wide striker on opposite flanks, both cutting inside with a no 10 between them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

We managed 1.96 ppg for 24 matches.....that is going to be hard to get players in who can match that.

Our lads have turned their careers around, thanks to the maestro......its going to be hard to get in that quailty and personality, to even equal that.

So… we shouldn’t bother and we can’t improve?

Hard disagree there.

What’s your point?

If Unai can elevate our current crop then just imagine what he can do with a higher standard of player added to that… surely that’s how we progress and improve?

You get better by bringing in or adding better players…

Do we want to ignore the impact Moreno had?

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

No issues with the rest of your post but just pointing out Mings has said he can’t play left back any more - his body doesn’t suit it and he blames it for the injury problems earlier in his career. So I don’t think we will ever see this option.

Yes but would be playing a hybrid role of LCB of a 3, and a defensive fullback. Which means he wouldn't have to bomb up and down the flanks so much. Also it wouldn't be something he would be asked to do all the time.

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Bull!

In a striker partnership each player has to occupy different spaces and offer the team different qualities. Both player want to stay high up, work the channels, and get in behind. This doesn't work!

The best strike partnerships have two strikers of differing strengths and one at least has a very good footballing brain. Shearer and Sherrigham. Shearer lead the line, Sheringham dropped off and linked things up. Yorke and Cole. Cole ran in behind was the poacher. Yorke dropped off linked up, carried the ball, and shot from range. Carew and Gabby. Carew held it up and won the aerial battles. Gabby was fast as f**k down the channels and in behind.

The only way a like for like partnership can work is if the two in question both can create and link up, work the channels, and get in behind, but had an opposite stronger foot, and played as wide striker on opposite flanks, both cutting inside with a no 10 between them.

🤷‍♂️

just shared it as someone else’s suggestion.

Personally, I’d prefer a Goncalves or Felix type up there supporting Ollie.

I expect better from Buendia too, his ability to play killer through balls and send the CF through on goal can be exceptional…