Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

16 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Ah, the old "every discussion on VT must have some reasonable basis in reality" error.  New here?

It was actually partially meant as a genuine question as he has been a hot topic of discussion on this thread many times, just curious to how it started.

My second paragraph, which is written in awful english, was basically me trying to say that I do not find him to be a realistic option, just an opinion. I was not trying to stop any discussion, feel free to continue the discussion if you like.

37 minutes ago, picicata said:

I reckon Unai would back himself to find an equal of AWB in the Spanish league for half the price. Or convert Konsa to a defensive right back

I like the Konsa idea to be fair.

As it may allow us to integrate Carlos into the side, as well as buy another young CB.

Konsa and Cash as RB options.

I worry about Konsas pace though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I like the Konsa idea to be fair.

As it may allow us to integrate Carlos into the side, as well as buy another young CB.

Konsa and Cash as RB options.

I worry about Konsas pace though.

I personally feel like konsa is a decent option to have at right back but that even though emery prefers that his right backs mainly defend, they do still sometimes attack and dribble/challenge the opposition, Konsa has basically nothing to offer in that department 

• Like 1

You can see the disparity in earnings and power, when the likes of Man U can casually pay Maguire 10 mill to piss off and Chelsea can have 300 players on books.

Whilst everyone else has to fight to balance FFP. lol

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

You're right.  Emery should just give up, pack his bags, and leave.  Messi, Mbappe, and Haaland won't join us at the Villa, so what's the point in managing us then?

We're talking about someone who managed Villarreal on a shoestring budget for years and kept them competitive with some really good players, not Pep who has only managed teams with the biggest budget in their respective leagues.  We might not be able to attract most top Champions League quality players this summer, but if we're persistent and continue to go after players who fit the project, we'll end up with more quality than we have.  Take Newcastle, for example.  The didn't even have European footy when they signed Guimaraes and Isak, but they have a lot of money and so do we.  You'd be surprised the pull we still have in the transfer market with Premier League footy, Premier League money, and an elite manager like Emery.  

It's the sum of the parts with us, as we don't have the financial muscle to compete with the established champions league teams. But, If anyone can get us overachieving, it's Emery. 

7 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

My thoughts on current squad - Seems Young not staying now though :( 

I wouldn’t have McGinn and Ramsey in the top category.  For me only Martinez, Kamara and Dougie are definites.  Mings and Moreno in a category just below and then McGinn, Konsa, Ollie and Ramsey in the next category

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

My thoughts on current squad - Seems Young not staying now though :( 

cool, is there a link where i can have a go at this?, or is this some internetz magic wizardry that you have done?

6 hours ago, Tayls said:

I still reckon Emery is going to get frustrated with the window if players do indeed turn us down and go elsewhere - which is what I think will happen with Asensio. Long way to go of course, but it does seem like we had this in January, and depending on what happens with Asensio, we will have it again this summer. 

I just doubt it tbh. Plus wasn’t the narrative that Emery didn’t want a big overhaul in January and wanted to wait till the summer? 

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wouldn’t have McGinn and Ramsey in the top category.  For me only Martinez, Kamara and Dougie are definites.  Mings and Moreno in a category just below and then McGinn, Konsa, Ollie and Ramsey in the next category

I mainly agree.  I mean it is difficult to do this without thinking about which players / positions we might be recruiting this summer.  So my views are probably clouded somewhat by that.

BTTA is Emi, Kamara and Luiz.  Mings has moved up a category for me this season so is just off the Build The Team Around Them group but above Regular Starter (but if I had to put him in one of those two I'd probably have to go BTTA).  Moreno is very different from anyone we have had playing that role but I'd probably have him in the Regular Starter group along with Ollie.  And then McGinn, Konsa and Ramsey would be in the ITS group.  Maybe because I am thinking that if play more of a 4-3-3 I think Ramsey and McGinn are likely to come off the bench a lot.  Regular Players but not necessarily Regular Starters.  And although Konsa has been excellent I am still not convinced that he is good enough on the ball for what we want to do - so again I can see him being first back-up and still getting lots of football but not necessarily being a Regular Starter. 

I would prefer there to be an options there - Regular Starter, Features Regularly and In The Squad to better differentiate between someone like McGinn who will probably play in most matches to Donks who is good to have in the squad but is going to see much less pitch time.  But it's a pretty good way of easily categorising our players.

3 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Would still look at a loan deal / option to buy for Joao Felix. Think he would join us.

Him and Nico Williams would transfer our attack and would be brilliant with Watkins.

I guess Joao would be a better signing than Asensio anyway. Our formation is the best for him. 

• Like 1