Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Given our form under Emery, it might make it a bit easier to sell the aspiration of champions league football, as we would have been around 4th with emery's ppg over the whole season. Perhaps this is enough to convince some players like Felix who previous turned us down, as they wanted to go to a club in the CL. 

4 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Cash has barely played and has been injured. I'm not too worried about his ability, even after a bad half.  He played bloody well against Messi and Mbappe only a few months ago in the World Cup. The kid is mad capable for the £14m we spent on him and he's not far off 100 appearances for us.

I agree.

Cash did not play as well this year as last, but he had a World Cup and two injuries in the middle. His regression, to the extent he had one, was nowhere as bad as Targett's a few years ago, or even as bad as Konsa's last year. Players like Konsa, Watkins, and McGinn have had off years and bounced back. He'll be fine.

His defending is pretty solid. To the extent I've ever had a problem with his defending, it has been his concentration; he can get burned at the back post when the play is coming down the opposite flank. He does just fine when the attack is down his side.

Going forward, his last ball can be inconsistent, but if Emery continues with the current asymmetric formation, he doesn't have to attack as much as he used to.

Are there better right backs out there? Of course. But priority to replace? Not for me.

• Like 1

I want to make sure that I understand the transfer rules right...

The window opens June 14. However, the reason we signed Kamara early last year, and might be able to sign Asensio early this year, is this Premier League rule:

A Club shall be at liberty after the third Saturday in May in any year and before the subsequent 1 July to make such an approach to a Contract Player:

T.2.1.  who will become an Out of Contract Player on that 1 July; and

T.2.2.  who has received no offer from his Club under Rule V.17.2; or

T.2.3.  who has received but has declined such offer.

So...Asensio will be out of contract on 1 July, so we can make an offer to him if Real Madrid has not made him an offer or he has declined an offer.

Am I understanding that correctly? If so, tomorrow's announcement will probably be that he has declined RM's offer, meaning he can receive offers from anyone. It won't mean that he has necessarily accepted anyone else's offer.

28 minutes ago, TomC said:

I want to make sure that I understand the transfer rules right...

The window opens June 14. However, the reason we signed Kamara early last year, and might be able to sign Asensio early this year, is this Premier League rule:

So...Asensio will be out of contract on 1 July, so we can make an offer to him if Real Madrid has not made him an offer or he has declined an offer.

Am I understanding that correctly? If so, tomorrow's announcement will probably be that he has declined RM's offer, meaning he can receive offers from anyone. It won't mean that he has necessarily accepted anyone else's offer.

I thought if your contract ends in the summer you are allowed to talk to clubs in the January before your contract ends, now I'm not sure if that's from clubs abroad. So maybe we have been talking to Marc Asensio since January as we are a club outside of Spain 🇪🇸  

42 minutes ago, JW7494 said:

I have spent the last few days thinking about how i’d like the summer window to go. I’ve tried to be realistic with targets & fees.

I think the main positions & players we should be looking to improve on if we are to compete in the league, Europe & both domestic cups are:

A back up / cup goalkeeper:

I would go for Steffen from City. He’s available for around £10m and has experience and the ability to play out from the back having done so with City & Middlesbrough. We could offer him enough football with the 3 cup competitions to keep him happy.

A defensive right back:

Wan-Bissaka would be perfect for how Emery wants his right back to play. He’s probably the best 1 on 1 fullback in the league. Not great going forward but comfortable on the ball & solid defensively.

Left footed centre back:

A player we keep getting linked with, Pau Torres, would be brilliant. Has played under Emery before so wouldn’t take long to settle in. Would rotate with Mings & could push him to the next level. 

2x defensive midfielders:

I don’t think there are many players out there that I would replace Kamara & Luiz with in the middle. So they would have to be rotation players. I like Tyler Adams from Leeds. He would be decent back up to Kamara in the more defensive role, is comfortable at receiving the ball & is good defensively. 

The second for me would be Guendouzi. He’s obviously been heavily linked with us in January. I think he would do well in the Luiz box to box role. Again he is both good on the ball & good defensively.

A right midfielder:

Strong rumours of Asensio from Madrid. Would be the marquee name to kick off the European push.  Very talented player, hasn’t developed as he should have at Madrid but that’s more down to the big name competition he’s been up against. On a free too so would be a no brainer if he wanted to join.

The hybrid winger/striker:

Nico Williams would add pace and skill to the front line. He would create space for the other attacking players to cause havoc. Massive potential to develop into a world class player. 

That leaves us with…

Martinez

Steffen (£10m)

Cash

Wan Bissaka (£25m)

Konsa

Carlos

Mings

Pau Torres (£35m)

Moreno

Digne

Kamara

Adams (£20m)

Luiz

Guendouzi (£20m)

Asensio (Free)

Mcginn

Ramsey

Buendia

Williams (£40m)

Bailey

Watkins

Archer

OUT:

Olsen (Free)

Chambers (£5m)

Hause (Free)

Dendonker (£10m)

Sanson (£5m)

Traore (£5m)

Wesley (Free)

Philogene (£5m)

Coutinho (£7.5m)

Nakamba (£8m)

Loan Out:

Duran

Iroegbunam

A. Ramsey

Bit of a drastic overhaul imho. It's unlikely that we would make that many signings and there are plenty of talented youngsters that can play as part of the rotation. 

41 minutes ago, JW7494 said:

I have spent the last few days thinking about how i’d like the summer window to go. I’ve tried to be realistic with targets & fees.

I think the main positions & players we should be looking to improve on if we are to compete in the league, Europe & both domestic cups are:

I would go for Steffen from City. He’s available for around £10m and has experience and the ability to play out from the back having done so with City & Middlesbrough. We could offer him enough football with the 3 cup competitions to keep him happy.

A defensive right back:

Wan-Bissaka would be perfect for how Emery wants his right back to play. He’s probably the best 1 on 1 fullback in the league. Not great going forward but comfortable on the ball & solid defensively.

Left footed centre back:

A player we keep getting linked with, Pau Torres, would be brilliant. Has played under Emery before so wouldn’t take long to settle in. Would rotate with Mings & could push him to the next level. 

I don’t think there are many players out there that I would replace Kamara & Luiz with in the middle. So they would have to be rotation players. I like Tyler Adams from Leeds. He would be decent back up to Kamara in the more defensive role, is comfortable at receiving the ball & is good defensively. 

The second for me would be Guendouzi. He’s obviously been heavily linked with us in January. I think he would do well in the Luiz box to box role. Again he is both good on the ball & good defensively.

A right midfielder:

Strong rumours of Asensio from Madrid. Would be the marquee name to kick off the European push.  Very talented player, hasn’t developed as he should have at Madrid but that’s more down to the big name competition he’s been up against. On a free too so would be a no brainer if he wanted to join.

Nico Williams would add pace and skill to the front line. He would create space for the other attacking players to cause havoc. Massive potential to develop into a world class player. 

That leaves us with…

Martinez

Steffen (£10m)

Cash

Wan Bissaka (£25m)

Konsa

Carlos

Mings

Pau Torres (£35m)

Moreno

Digne

Kamara

Adams (£20m)

Luiz

Guendouzi (£20m)

Asensio (Free)

Mcginn

Ramsey

Buendia

Williams (£40m)

Bailey

Watkins

Archer

OUT:

Olsen (Free)

Chambers (£5m)

Hause (Free)

Dendonker (£10m)

Sanson (£5m)

Traore (£5m)

Wesley (Free)

Philogene (£5m)

Coutinho (£7.5m)

Nakamba (£8m)

Loan Out:

Duran

Iroegbunam

A. Ramsey

I'd keep Dendonker, Chambers and Young as back-up and emergency options as they are all versatile to play multiple positions.  Don't think we need two more CDM's. One is enough with Dendonker, McGinn and Timmy all able to play that position at a good level.

55 minutes ago, JW7494 said:

A defensive right back:

Left footed centre back:

A right midfielder:

That leaves us with…

Martinez

Steffen (£10m)

Cash

Wan Bissaka (£25m)

Konsa

Carlos

Mings

Pau Torres (£35m)

Moreno

Digne

Kamara

Adams (£20m)

Luiz

Guendouzi (£20m)

Asensio (Free)

Mcginn

Ramsey

Buendia

Williams (£40m)

Bailey

Watkins

Archer

OUT:

Olsen (Free)

Chambers (£5m)

Hause (Free)

Dendonker (£10m)

Sanson (£5m)

Traore (£5m)

Wesley (Free)

Philogene (£5m)

Coutinho (£7.5m)

Nakamba (£8m)

Loan Out:

Duran

Iroegbunam

A. Ramsey

As others have said, looks like too big an overhaul. I'd reckon 3/4 first team players tops: a RB/CB, a two-way midfielder and two differing wide/forward options. Also not sure we are getting that much for the players listed to sell, which makes spending £150m less likely. And I think those loans out could be contributing by staying given the extra games.

Not sure how people can think we'll only see minor changes this summer - we've barely got enough players to fill our bench! We could play up to 54 matches next season, excluding friendlies, replays and any international fixtures our players might be involved in. It could be a very busy season.

Emery made decisions in Jan to send players off on loan and only the youngsters (Archer, Ramsey, Tim, Philogene) have a real chance of coming back into the fold. The others (Wesley, Sanson etc.) aren't up to the right standard (especially with the higher expectations now) and clearly don't fit into his system/plans. Emery was also publicly frustrated by only getting two players in during the Jan window which, when combined with the number of players he's bought at other clubs, makes for a very busy and exciting summer!

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Why replace Dendoncker? He’s a good back-up for Luiz and Kamara.  We could probably do with 1 more who can play there on top of Dendoncker if Chambers is to go. 

I wouldn't necessarily. However I don't want a situation whereby we bring players in and can't give others game time. If we've room in the squad fine but we will need to shift a couple to make room or upgrade. i'm just thinking aloud that's all.

1 hour ago, JW7494 said:

A defensive right back:

Left footed centre back:

A right midfielder:

That leaves us with…

Martinez

Steffen (£10m)

Cash

Wan Bissaka (£25m)

Konsa

Carlos

Mings

Pau Torres (£35m)

Moreno

Digne

Kamara

Adams (£20m)

Luiz

Guendouzi (£20m)

Asensio (Free)

Mcginn

Ramsey

Buendia

Williams (£40m)

Bailey

Watkins

Archer

OUT:

Olsen (Free)

Chambers (£5m)

Hause (Free)

Dendonker (£10m)

Sanson (£5m)

Traore (£5m)

Wesley (Free)

Philogene (£5m)

Coutinho (£7.5m)

Nakamba (£8m)

Loan Out:

Duran

Iroegbunam

A. Ramsey

Could've changed the font size ffs. It's like reading Janet and John all over again.

• Haha 2