Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Did Idrissa Gueye get relegated? Must have somehow managed to erase that completely from my memory. Was he in a really bad team?

Yh.

Villa 2015-2016.

I think we all erased that from our memory

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

This is the perfect example of a highlights reel. This is literally every highlight. Ever.

Give me Albert Adoma any day 😉

Just to be clear, I didn’t post that as some kind of support to say he’s good - he’s not.

That was just as video evidence that he did, in fact, play more that just 8 minutes of first team football for Barcelona.

Give me El Ghazi and trez any day.

Asencio done ✍is what Im seeing 👀 well this is the signing which will have every team and their fans sit up and know we are not playing second fiddle, id prefer we got williams in that position and ferran on the left side but its okay definitely not turning up my nose.. he is a quality player no doubts, my only concern was lack of pace 

Edited by RicRic

Just now, RicRic said:

Asencio done ✍is what Im seeing 👀 well this is the signing which will have every team and their fans sit up and know we are not playing second fiddle, id prefer we got williams in that position and ferran on the left side but its okay definitely not turning up my nose 

I don't think this precludes signing Nico Williams at all. Williams could play in that second striker/right sided striker or winger role. I don't think Asensio is as plausible an option on the wing as he's not so good 1v1 and I have questions about his defensive contribution which that wide midfield role is required to put in.

You could line up like this quite easily:

-------------------- Watkins ----------- Asensio --------------------

Ramsey ------- D. Luiz -----------  Kamara ------- Williams

NOTE: This is just an example, I'm not saying this should be our starting XI, or our best XI, or anything like that - it's just an example!

Whether we have the budget and so forth to achieve all that is another matter. They may have other targets in mind, such as a Luiz Henrique.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Asencio done ✍is what Im seeing 👀

What you see and what we get could be two drastically different things my man. 

PS: Ascensio is on a different planet to Ferran Torres or Williams (albeit Williams is super young and could reach his level)

5 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Barnes has better defensive numbers on FBREF than Asensio, I know who I'd rather.

image.png.fdf73104705ee2f026f501df90fdbabe.png

image.png.646835aae1131db3bbd67e3372752e72.png

Asensio is the bottom one. And you'd be forgiven if you didn't realise given that he averages more tackles and interceptions per 90 despite his team having the ball about 50% more than Barnes'. The only think Barnes is really better at is aerial duels.

Hard to rack up lots of blocks when your team barely defends. 

17 minutes ago, Wes said:

I don't think this precludes signing Nico Williams at all. Williams could play in that second striker/right sided striker or winger role. I don't think Asensio is as plausible an option on the wing as he's not so good 1v1 and I have questions about his defensive contribution which that wide midfield role is required to put in.

You could line up like this quite easily:

-------------------- Watkins ----------- Asensio --------------------

Ramsey ------- D. Luiz -----------  Kamara ------- Williams

NOTE: This is just an example, I'm not saying this should be our starting XI, or our best XI, or anything like that - it's just an example!

Whether we have the budget and so forth to achieve all that is another matter. They may have other targets in mind, such as a Luiz Henrique.

I agree and If we get the right players, they’ll be plenty of times where Unai will step away from 4-4-2. He’s used 4-4-2 this season because it was the best fit for our current squad. I expect much more flexibility in formation next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Asensio is the bottom one. And you'd be forgiven if you didn't realise given that he averages more tackles and interceptions per 90 despite his team having the ball about 50% more than Barnes'. The only think Barnes is really better at is aerial duels.

Hard to rack up lots of blocks when your team barely defends. 

I was only having a laugh man. If Asensio signs I'm having a summer of watching highlight videos and dreaming of him belting in 25-yarders, not quivering at the idea of him not putting up enough middle third pressures per 90.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

What you see and what we get could be two drastically different things my man. 

PS: Ascensio is on a different planet to Ferran Torres or Williams (albeit Williams is super young and could reach his level)

Is he ? And yeah things can change very quickly i could be wrong which i don't mind being

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don’t even like Niko Williams that much.

bring on the hate

Actually he's named Nico not Niko

Insert Hermione gif

36 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I would also add that the first player we sign doesn't dictate what our whole strategy is, just because we are linked with Barnes doesn't mean we are solely looking in that market, or that we lack ambition. The time to review a transfer window is really quite a long time after it has closed and you then begin to get a picture of the work that's been done.

I think we need to understand that Emery will look and see potential in players that we aren't convinced by, he'll see attributes he can use and fit into his system, attributes that are maybe being wasted in somebody else's system.

100%. I would add that I expect an evolution of the current system we've used since Emery came in to offer more flexibility to counter different opposition, so players coming in may not obviously fit what we have seen so far. Teams will treat us differently next season and we need ways to break down packed defences that won't be drawn onto us. I'm sure the incoming players will give Unai many more options to change things up and we'll see more horses-for-courses rotation next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

I love the opinions stated as fact and the FBREF are the messiahs of all football stats. Some of y’all are in the wrong professions as you should be in football as scouts lol. 

The club have a whole data analytics department and will use deeper and a ton more data points in judging a player but yeah let’s write someone off based on FBREF or some form of superiority complex. Trust the process 

I can guarantee current management examine Fbref or something similar than average punter eye test and xG is bollocks crowd