Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

38 minutes ago, Thug said:

What if Emery wants Harvey Barnes?  Then what?  Is he good enough then?

People are entitled to think player from relegated team isn't good enough and after looking at his Fbref passing and off the ball defensive stats I'd put money on Emery not being interested. 

Also would be stupid English tax even though relegated. He's a mid table club player

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

People are entitled to think player from relegated team isn't good enough and after looking at his Fbref passing and off the ball defensive stats I'd put money on Emery not being interested. 

Also would be stupid English tax even though relegated. He's a mid table club player

People are absolutely entitled to think what they like.

Just like people are entitled to think that other people’s opinions are not well founded.

My actual point is that we would ONLY go for him if Emery is interested.  If he’s not interested then there’s nothing to ‘worry’ about.

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

People can think what they like. Doesn’t mean it’s not a ridiculous opinion - if it’s based purely on the bit in bold.

players that have been relegated:

1. Roy Keane

2. Paolo Di Canio

3. Jack Grealish 

4. Idrissa Gueye

5. Juninho

6. Adama Traore

7. Gareth Southgate

8. James Madison 

9. Youri Tielemans.

10. JWP

Off the top of my head in 2 minutes.

Probably hundreds more.

Englands no.1 keeper escaped by the skin of his teeth. Carlos Tevez and  Javier Mascherano escaped on last day.

Not long ago we survived on the last day.

who would have said no to Jack Grealish if we’d have gone down?  Mings, McGinn.

An utterly bizarre way to think. ‘…a player from a relegated team isn’t good enough..’

edit: Adding more:

Andy Robertson

Kieran Trippier

Georginio Wijnaldum

Xerdan Shaqiri

David James

Michael Owen

Rio Ferdinand

Kevin Phillips

Fabrizio Ravanelli

Harry Maguire

Scott Parker

James Milner

Joe Cole

Michael Carrick

Ian Harte

Mark Viduka

Trevor Sinclair

Edited by Thug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Thug said:

People can think what they like. Doesn’t mean it’s not a ridiculous opinion - if it’s based purely on the bit in bold.

1. Roy Keane

2. Paolo Di Canio

3. Jack Grealish 

4. Idrissa Gueye

5. Juninho

6. Adama Traore

7. Gareth Southgate

8. James Madison 

9. Youri Tielemans.

10. JWP

Probably hundreds more.

Englands no.1 keeper escaped by the skin of his teeth.

An utterly bizarre way to think. ‘…a player from a relegated team isn’t good enough..’

Pretty sure he said the player not good enough was also back up by stats indicating it

Also Adama Traore come on 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure he said the player not good enough was also back up by stats indicating it

Also Adama Traore come on 😂

Actually he didn’t.

He said a player from a relegated team isn’t good enough. And separately, that Unai Emery wouldn’t be interested due to his defensive stats.

Adama Traore was ‘good enough’ to play for Barcelona.  (He wasn’t, and isn’t, but he did.)

And what about the other players there? Gonna ignore them?

Edited by Thug

41 minutes ago, Thug said:

People are absolutely entitled to think what they like.

Just like people are entitled to think that other people’s opinions are not well founded.

My actual point is that we would ONLY go for him if Emery is interested.  If he’s not interested then there’s nothing to ‘worry’ about.

I like Barnes for the style of player he is but I don't think his style is what Unai will be looking for. Couple that with the assumption he would probably be our most expensive club signing ever, with all the pressure that brings for both player and manager, then I would back Unai and his team to find a more suitable player for a lot less money from the continent.

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

Actually he didn’t.

He said a player from a relegated team isn’t good enough. And separately, that Unai Emery wouldn’t be interested due to his defensive stats.

Adams Traore was ‘good enough’ to play for Barcelona.

Traore played for Barcelona B. He came on for 8 mins for 1 game for the main team

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Traore played for Barcelona B. He came on for 8 mins for 1 game for the main team

He made 11 appearance on loan to them from wolves in 2022.  Including the champions league and got 4 assists.

Edited by Thug
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, picicata said:

Couple that with the assumption he would probably be our most expensive club signing ever…

Not at all, on the other thread I was reliably informed that Barnes is only worth £15m.

21 minutes ago, picicata said:

I like Barnes for the style of player he is but I don't think his style is what Unai will be looking for. Couple that with the assumption he would probably be our most expensive club signing ever, with all the pressure that brings for both player and manager, then I would back Unai and his team to find a more suitable player for a lot less money from the continent.

Agreed.

BUT, if we DID buy him.. then I would trust that he he was the best available option out there taking everything into account.  

1 hour ago, Thug said:

1. Roy Keane

2. Paolo Di Canio

3. Jack Grealish 

4. Idrissa Gueye

5. Juninho

6. Adama Traore

7. Gareth Southgate

8. James Madison 

9. Youri Tielemans.

10. JWP

Probably hundreds more.

Englands no.1 keeper escaped by the skin of his teeth.

Did Idrissa Gueye get relegated? Must have somehow managed to erase that completely from my memory. Was he in a really bad team?

12 minutes ago, Thug said:

Agreed.

BUT, if we DID buy him.. then I would trust that he he was the best available option out there taking everything into account.  

I can't speak for any of the other posters who are not convinced by Barnes - but there are two massive assumptions here (1) that we are even looking at the player and (2) that we decide to buy him.  Under previous regimes I would have been surprised / disappointed if both were true and would be asking why we weren't looking at a higher standard of player.  Under the current regime the first half of that statement would be true but I'd be more likely to think that Emery and the team have spotted something that I can't see.  I don't think Barnes will suit us, I don't think he is good enough for where we want to be, I don't think he is capable of playing the variety of roles that we need, I worry that he and Moreno will be running into / occupying the same spaces, I don't think he contributes enough to the team off the ball and I don't think his defending is strong enough for the way that we play.   If he was our first signing of the summer then my immediate impressions would be (first) that we aren't as ambitious as we've been led to believe {although subsequent signings might change that view}  and then (second) that maybe Emery has seen something I haven't.  But the overall impression would still be slightly disappointed.  If he was our last signing and we'd already filled two or three key positions and it was clear that he was a different piece for a different part of the jigsaw I'd probably be slightly less worried - but I'd still be worried that he'd not get much game time and that his arrival might reduce the amount of time Ramsey plays and that JJ's ceiling is much higher.  I guess I'd see him more as a Donk type signing than a Kamara signing.

• Thanks 1

I love the opinions stated as fact and the FBREF are the messiahs of all football stats. Some of y’all are in the wrong professions as you should be in football as scouts lol. 

The club have a whole data analytics department and will use deeper and a ton more data points in judging a player but yeah let’s write someone off based on FBREF or some form of superiority complex. Trust the process 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Exactly. It’s amazing that this needs to be said. Players like that just aren’t at the level we’d be interested in. That’s all. 

He doesn't even impress within a pretty poor Leeds team - I'd be surprised if he was in the top 200 players we were considering.

59 minutes ago, Thug said:

He made 11 appearance on loan to them from wolves in 2022.  Including the champions league and got 4 assists.

This is the perfect example of a highlights reel. This is literally every highlight. Ever.

Give me Albert Adoma any day 😉

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I love the opinions stated as fact and the FBREF are the messiahs of all football stats. Some of y’all are in the wrong professions as you should be in football as scouts lol. 

The club have a whole data analytics department and will use deeper and a ton more data points in judging a player but yeah let’s write someone off based on FBREF or some form of superiority complex. Trust the process 

Yeah agreed, still think FBRef is a great resource but within a short period of time I've gone from loving it to wishing I'd never see it again lol. It's just become the basis for all judgements on players now when even the creators of such platforms would tell you that context is always key with stats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Yeah agreed, still think FBRef is a great resource but within a short period of time I've gone from loving it to wishing I'd never see it again lol. It's just become the basis for all judgements on players now when even the creators of such platforms would tell you that context is always key with stats.

I think fbref is a good resource for us lays people. The professionals will have a deeper understanding , resources and insight with a lot more data sets than fbref. 

• Like 1