Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Emery has been the best thing to happen to the club since appointing Dean Smith. It’s why I want the club to go out and get him 4/5 first team players this Summer and really back him. I don’t care what anyone says, I don’t think our squad is all that great but he has players like Mings and Luiz playing like prime Beckenbaeur and Scholes. 

He is our shot at the big time. We HAVE to go for it this Summer. 

Yeah exactly you look at our matchday sqaud and most the time your not that convinced but then you see us play and we are a TEAM, it isn’t particularly the players we have but its how we orchestrate ourselves and players knowing their exact role in Unai’s system, sides may have better players than we have but not a better TEAM.

Now its time for the professor to strategically sign the players we need to progress and look more of a threat on paper and on the field. We need two forward players playing just off watkins that can get 10 goals each ideally that would be the grand plan.

Mcginn is priceless at the moment and I remember around November saying i never want him to play again now im singing his name out loud.

Guaranteed Starters

Emi Martinez

Tyrone Mings

Alex Moreno

John Mcginn

Douglas Luiz

Boubacar Kamara

Ollie Watkins

All other positions can be improved, but none of the above should lose there spot for next season unless form drops.

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 2

Just now, MaVilla said:

ye, fair points, i know everyone has their own opinions :)

I put Konsa at 13m, i thought that was correct, maybe not.

Yeah sorry I was looking at Cash and for some reason read Konsa, have amended my post.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Yeah exactly you look at our matchday sqaud and most the time your not that convinced but then you see us play and we are a TEAM, it isn’t particularly the players we have but its how we orchestrate ourselves and players knowing their exact role in Unai’s system, sides may have better players than we have but not a better TEAM.

Now its time for the professor to strategically sign the players we need to progress and look more of a threat on paper and on the field. We need two forward players playing just off watkins that can get 10 goals each ideally that would be the grand plan.

Mcginn is priceless at the moment and I remember around November saying i never want him to play again now im singing his name out loud.

Guaranteed Starters

Emi Martinez

Tyrone Mings

Alex Moreno

John Mcginn

Douglas Luiz

Boubacar Kamara

Ollie Watkins

All other positions can be improved, but none of the above should lose there spot for next season unless form drops.

I think John and Dougie are at least due some decent competition to come in and will most likely be rotated next year more than they have this year. 

I have to admit I thought the RM slot was a dead sort for a new player but with McGinn’s form the second half of the season I’d be happy going into next season with him being the starter and someone like Arda Guler or Habib Diarra being the backup squad option.

Don’t get me wrong I’d love us to go big but I’m not sure it’s as much a priority as is was a while back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

completely agree, i hope Emery gets exactly what "he" wants, and not what Lange or someone else wants.

I had a little shot at rating our signings since promotion.........im gonna get some crying/raging i think from some :P

For me at least, we have spent 200m+ on average or poor transfers since promotion, we wasted a lot of money i think.

image.png.d37730f6a54fccb42292410cf54e5f49.png

This is pretty harsh I think. Hause was a fantastic signing for the money, never let us down as a fourth-choice centre back. Heaton was the first solid keeper we have had in years until injury ruined it. Trezeguet and El Ghazi, for signings around £6-8m, could fairly be called at least ‘average’ not poor.

I don’t think we would have got from the Championship to the cusp of Europe with only 8 ‘good’ or ‘excellent’ signings - that surely wouldn’t be possible in anyone’s book?

Equally I’d have a couple more than you have in ‘terrible’ so swings and roundabouts I guess.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Can't see why everyone seems to want to sell Dendonker. Apart from one error against Stevenage (with help from Olsen he's been a very good squad and he's been very  good every time he plays. He's also a very good professional who's a very player to have on the bench given the variety of positions he can play in.

Some posters won't shut up about how much they don't like certain players. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Can't see why everyone seems to want to sell Dendonker. Apart from one error against Stevenage (with help from Olsen he's been a very good squad and he's been very  good every time he plays. He's also a very good professional who's a very player to have on the bench given the variety of positions he can play in.

He is a decent squad player, but if you want top 6 you need another player that is on a level with Kamara.

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

He is a decent squad player, but if you want top 6 you need another player that is on a level with Kamara.

We do, Luiz. Luiz and Kamara will be first choice. We're not spending mega millions on someone in that position as back up/rotation. We are top 6  under Emery. Why don't people discount the Gerrard 11 games?

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Emery has been the best thing to happen to the club since appointing Dean Smith. It’s why I want the club to go out and get him 4/5 first team players this Summer and really back him. I don’t care what anyone says, I don’t think our squad is all that great but he has players like Mings and Luiz playing like prime Beckenbaeur and Scholes. 

He is our shot at the big time. We HAVE to go for it this Summer. 

Very little chance we will have 4/5 new starting 11 come the start of the season. That's half the outfield presuming you are happy with Emi in goal. 2/3 new starters at most I'd say providing we don't see all our better players moving on.

42 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We do, Luiz. Luiz and Kamara will be first choice. We're not spending mega millions on someone in that position as back up/rotation. We are top 6  under Emery. Why don't people discount the Gerrard 11 games?

I think we need a third, kamara or Luiz injury and we’re back to dendonker for however long. Don’t think dendonker should be sold but I think we’ll be still be looking for a signing in that area. The ugarte links could be that signing. 

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

completely agree, i hope Emery gets exactly what "he" wants, and not what Lange or someone else wants.

I had a little shot at rating our signings since promotion.........im gonna get some crying/raging i think from some :P

For me at least, we have spent 200m+ on average or poor transfers since promotion, we wasted a lot of money i think.

Stopped reading at Heaton: average

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

This is pretty harsh I think. Hause was a fantastic signing for the money, never let us down as a fourth-choice centre back. Heaton was the first solid keeper we have had in years until injury ruined it. Trezeguet and El Ghazi, for signings around £6-8m, could fairly be called at least ‘average’ not poor.

I don’t think we would have got from the Championship to the cusp of Europe with only 8 ‘good’ or ‘excellent’ signings - that surely wouldn’t be possible in anyone’s book?

Equally I’d have a couple more than you have in ‘terrible’ so swings and roundabouts I guess.

The bolded here puts it succinctly. 

However good Emery is - and I do acknowledge he can get more out of average players - I don’t think we would be in with a chance of Europe or consistently going toe to toe with the better teams in the league if nearly three quarters of our signings over the past four years were at best “average”.

I think we’d probably have to redefine what average is across the league if that was case.

But I appreciate the effort/willingness by  @MaVilla to state how they’ve seen the transfers on a case by case basis. So I won’t hammer anyone for that (well, not too much :P). I just think it’s erring on the negative side. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I'd have El-Ghazi as good mate. 

£9mill - he scored a goal in the playoff final, got some very important goals when we stayed in the Prem and for a small sum (in today's market) he did a great job for us IMO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I'd have El-Ghazi as good mate. 

£9mill - he scored a goal in the playoff final, got some very important goals when we stayed in the Prem and for a small sum (in today's market) he did a great job for us IMO. 

I would say he did a job for us. His loan when we were in the championship help us get promoted, but in the Premier league he wasn't particularly effective in my eyes. Flat track bully. When things got tough he disappeared! All in all I'd say add a mediocre bracket between good and bad, and toss him in there with Trezguet. 

While Trezguet was arguably even more mediocre than El-Ghazi, his goals kept us up, and he never went missing, always worked his butt off and always showed for the ball. A humble lad too.  I miss him, even if he isn't good enough to be a Villa player anymore.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

4 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think we need a third, kamara or Luiz injury and we’re back to dendonker for however long. Don’t think dendonker should be sold but I think we’ll be still be looking for a signing in that area. The ugarte links could be that signing. 

I really wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of players come in for the DM positions.  Perhaps one on a free, but still a high profile player.

Think is we need to get out of the mindset of us having a first XI and backups.  It's old mentality.

If we want to progress, we can't have a midfield pivot as good as Kamara and Luiz, which as soon as one of them picks up an injury or a ban, drops down in quality to the level of Dendonker.  Just a few weeks of Kamara being injured disrupted the side massively this season - Dendonker came in and did ok, but then in some games when he wasn't available McGinn was switched from his new role back to DM, it hampered us massively.  And that's just injuries, let alone having the option to rest players when they need it.

The ultimate aim has to be 2 players of top quality for every position.  After that then sure, have one or two Dendonkers or Chambers types who fit that 'utility' or 'backup' role, but not a full back-up XI.

11 hours ago, RicRic said:

Guaranteed Starters

Emi Martinez

Tyrone Mings

Alex Moreno

John Mcginn

Douglas Luiz

Boubacar Kamara

Ollie Watkins

I don’t agree with the phrase guaranteed starters because it completely excludes what could happen in the summer.  

Any one of these players might want to leave, Emery may get an opportunity to bring in an elite quality player or just somebody he prefers in that position.  

We have no idea what Emery is going to do and if there is anybody going the other way.

I agree these are likely starters but it certainly wouldn’t surprise me if one or two aren’t.  It’s the first major transfer window for Emery and we’ve heard the club want to go big.  

Just seeing some of the links recently you could see some of these players being displaced.

24 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I really wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of players come in for the DM positions.  Perhaps one on a free, but still a high profile player.

Think is we need to get out of the mindset of us having a first XI and backups.  It's old mentality.

If we want to progress, we can't have a midfield pivot as good as Kamara and Luiz, which as soon as one of them picks up an injury or a ban, drops down in quality to the level of Dendonker.  Just a few weeks of Kamara being injured disrupted the side massively this season - Dendonker came in and did ok, but then in some games when he wasn't available McGinn was switched from his new role back to DM, it hampered us massively.  And that's just injuries, let alone having the option to rest players when they need it.

The ultimate aim has to be 2 players of top quality for every position.  After that then sure, have one or two Dendonkers or Chambers types who fit that 'utility' or 'backup' role, but not a full back-up XI.

When Kamara was not in the squad under Emery we won 5 drew 2 and lost 1. We didn't fare that badly. Most teams outside of Man City don't have this luxury of 2 top quality players for every position. It's pipe dream nonsense

Edited by Kiwivillan