Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

A shake-up of the right-hand side and we'll be fine.

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/mateu-alemany-paso-firmar-aston-86980558

Mateu Alemany will have full powers at Aston Villa to sign players, with a budget that could be close to 200 million euros: a real challenge to make a qualitative leap and try to be among the top four in the Premier. 

20 hours ago, maqroll said:

The Vlahovic link is intriguing, but I worry about unsettling Watkins all over again. In a way I kind of want Watkins-Archer-Duran, and we can focus on other positions.

I disagree hugely.  Despite his recent form Watkins isn't a good enough forward for us to base our entire system around or to worry about upsetting if we change things.  I think most of the issue with Ings is that neither Smith nor Gerrard knew how to play Ings and Watkins together and in many ways they didn't really complement each other very well.  It was also more about neither of them really knowing what the manager was expecting them each to do or what position / role they were supposed to be playing.  One week Ollie would start up top, the next he would start down the wing, then he'd be doing half of both roles.  If we did end up with another goalscorer in the side then I think Emery will be much better at explaining to them both what he wants them to do and how he wants the partnership to work.  In that scenario if Ollie were to become unsettled / throw his toys out the pram (and just to be clear - I don't think he would) then it would make no sense to rip up Emery's plans just to accommodate him.  If it became a straight choice between Ollie and Emery then Emery wins every time (again I really don't think that that will be necessary).  Whilst I know plenty disagree - I can see Vlahovic and Ollie working as a partnership.  Although that is kind of irrelevant.  If we are interested then it will be because Emery thinks that there is a way that he can get them both to perform within the way he wants us to be playing - and at the end of the day that is all that matters.  We build the system that Emery wants - end of.

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

I really don’t see how us failing to qualify for the Conference League will have any impact on the quality of player we will sign. I’m sure Alemany  and Emery will be able to sell the vision easily enough.

Probably not, but it will be good experience for our squad to get some European matches under their belt (and even have a chance of winning a trophy). 

2 hours ago, WHY said:

Need 4 starters, won’t be easy but is what is needed. 

Honest I think two if we push konsa out to this RB who plays CB role that Emery likes

From today's team Carlos in for young, kamara in for Ramsey, new signing in for Buendia new signing in for traore

Just need those 2 signings to be absolute top quality

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our weaknesses have been obvious from day one. Wide midfielder and support striker. Get them right and we’ll fly. 

I am sure Emery knows what he needs to add (and improve) our squad but if he had any reservations all should be clear now. Wide midfielder and support striker yes, but we need additional squad members in midfield plus a right back of course.

2 hours ago, WHY said:

Need 4 starters, won’t be easy but is what is needed. 

I have a feeling the club may think similar to be fair, even before this result or relative " fall off "

In essence, Emery has had this squad overperforming, fair play to him.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I really don’t see how us failing to qualify for the Conference League will have any impact on the quality of player we will sign. I’m sure Alemany  and Emery will be able to sell the vision easily enough.

I agree.

We managed to sign Kamara without any European football while we were in a shit position.

As you say, we've these two power houses selling the club to potential new signings we might actually suprise ourselves and majority of fans who is will to come on board project Emery.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

It won’t. But would have been nice for some Euro footy on a Thursday night.

• Like 1

Iling-Junior is a good player, one of most highly rated England players in his year group, but not sure how much signing him would make sense to us, as could get in way of Aaron Ramsey's route into the squad.

Also if we did sign him he wouldn't be the only winger we sign, as we need one good enough to come straight into the first team and automatically improve upon what we already have, and he's not that player yet, still more of a prospect, so would be more of a squad option.

As it stands we have Bailey, Traore, Buendia, and Coutinho as options, and I think it's inevitable that we sign a clear upgrade on those, someone like Nico Williams or whoever, which would make five options, I think us then bringing in yet another additional option like Illing-Junior or Reiss Nelson would depend on what happens with Bailey, Traore, and Coutinho in the summer, as won't be siging forty million plus first team winger and squad winger without one or more of the current wingers leaving.

Basically if we sign two wide forwards then I think two from Coutinho, Bailey, and Traore will have to leave.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Iling-Junior is a good player, one of most highly rated England players in his year group, but not sure how much signing him would make sense to us, as could get in way of Aaron Ramsey's route into the squad.

Also if we did sign him he wouldn't be the only winger we sign, as we need one good enough to come straight into the first team and automatically improve upon what we already have, and he's not that player yet, still more of a prospect, so would be more of a squad option.

As it stands we have Bailey, Traore, Buendia, and Coutinho as options, and I think it's inevitable that we sign a clear upgrade on those, someone like Nico Williams or whoever, which would make five options, I think us then bringing in yet another additional option like Illing-Junior or Reiss Nelson would depend on what happens with Bailey, Traore, and Coutinho in the summer, as won't be siging forty million plus first team winger and squad winger without one or more of the current wingers leaving.

Basically if we sign two wide forwards then I think two from Coutinho, Bailey, and Traore will have to leave.

I have wondered about Reiss Nelson but I doubt he wants to join a team where he wouldn't reasonably be first choice.

If we want to improve on where we are we’re gonna need to splash the cash. If rumours are true the budget is €200m then I hope that’s net and not gross. 

We need players better than Buendia, JJ and McGinn. Improvements on these players is gonna cost us, at least upwards of £40m per position (if we really want to move forward)

A midfield four of…..

Goncalves, Luiz, Kamara, Otavio

supported by…..

JJ, Kokcu, Dendonker, McGinn

is where we need to get to. 

Chuck in a Jurrien Timber at RB/CB and a Dybala or Felix up top and we’d be cooking. 

Bring in a few young uns to boost the squad and get shot of those not up to it (Bailey, Traore, etc)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

100% this, Imagine a player turning down the best league in the world because he can’t play in the back arse of nowhere on a Thursday night. The Premier League is a much bigger pull for players than even the Champions League imo. 

• Like 2

Reiss Nelson when I first saw him linked to us I thought was younger as in U21 age, but was surprised to see that he's actually 23 and turns 24 later this year. So that link makes even less sense to me than Illing-Junior link, again unless we're having a big clearout of the current wingers/wide forwards, whether he would be a better back-up option than likes of Bailey and Traore I don't know, but must have something about him if Arsenal want to keep him.

I think going into next season with Williams, Buendia, Coutinho, Kang-in, and then Aaron Ramsey and Illng-Junior as younger options might not be a bad selection.

9 minutes ago, burchy said:

If we want to improve on where we are we’re gonna need to splash the cash. If rumours are true the budget is €200m then I hope that’s net and not gross. 

We need players better than Buendia, JJ and McGinn. Improvements on these players is gonna cost us, at least upwards of £40m per position (if we really want to move forward)

A midfield four of…..

Goncalves, Luiz, Kamara, Otavio

supported by…..

JJ, Kokcu, Dendonker, McGinn

is where we need to get to. 

Chuck in a Jurrien Timber at RB/CB and a Dybala or Felix up top and we’d be cooking. 

Bring in a few young uns to boost the squad and get shot of those not up to it (Bailey, Traore, etc)

That would be an ideal summer and see us improve greatly, but sadly villa rarely tend to do great summers and always feels we fall short.

Let's hope this one with the new DOF coming in things are different and we really go for it. Those sort of options next season would have us challenging.

22 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

That would be an ideal summer and see us improve greatly, but sadly villa rarely tend to do great summers and always feels we fall short.

Let's hope this one with the new DOF coming in things are different and we really go for it. Those sort of options next season would have us challenging.

I’d be open to offers for Buendia, McGinn and Dendonker in there and look to bring other younger players in as replacements (Guler, Ugochukwu, etc)

I’d love us to get Xavi Simons from PSV as a Buendia replacement (El Ghazi can put in a good word) as I think he’d be that player that can be the advanced LM, RM, AM and SS role if needed. He’ll end up back at PSG though I guess and Goncalves is probably who we’re interested in anyways.

I definitely don’t want us to become the Spanish version of Wolves though with the links to us doing most, if not all of our shopping in La Liga. 

Don’t get me wrong there are great players there but there are elsewhere too and I hope we scout other leagues as well as La Liga.

After all we are The real Villa and not Villareal (do you see what I did there?!?)