LB: Moreno, Digne

CB: Mings, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers

CM: Kamara, Luiz, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam

RW: McGinn, Bailey, Traore, JBP

LW: J.Ramsey, Coutinho, A.Ramsey

CAM: Buendia

ST: Watkins, Archer, Duran

—— 

I’d say the above is broadly the first team squad going into next year (bold = starters). Appreciate there is some positional flexibility amongst some of them.

I think J. Ramsey and Buendia are currently the weakest links in the first XI. A new LW and CAM would really help us kick on.

If we do make it into Europe, I also think we need better depth at CB, CM (Guendouzi?) and GK.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Guardian_Angel_M said:

Oscar Cortés is currently attracting a lot of interest from different clubs and this should only increase after the U20 WC. Very strong and direct player whom I find very similar to Luis Diaz, wouldn't surprise me if he went the Benfica/Porto route to Europe for £5-7 m 

Or Villatoria perhaps?!?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, burchy said:

Or Villatoria perhaps?!?

I hope! I'd love to have more Colombian players at the club, especially with Unai at the helm guiding them to fulfill their potential. Duran should know Cortes from the U20 NT so maybe selling him the idea to get to the PL via Vitoria could be a good career move.

1 hour ago, Cizzler said:

GK: Martinez, Olsen

RB: Cash, Young

LB: Moreno, Digne

CB: Mings, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers

CM: Kamara, Luiz, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam

RW: McGinn, Bailey, Traore, JBP

LW: J.Ramsey, Coutinho, A.Ramsey

CAM: Buendia

ST: Watkins, Archer, Duran

—— 

I’d say the above is broadly the first team squad going into next year (bold = starters). Appreciate there is some positional flexibility amongst some of them.

I think J. Ramsey and Buendia are currently the weakest links in the first XI. A new LW and CAM would really help us kick on.

If we do make it into Europe, I also think we need better depth at CB, CM (Guendouzi?) and GK.

Ramsey has the highest ceiling in the current squad though.

I think we all know we need 4 new players signed for the first team and departures depends on getting Europe or not.

Might go in for Felix again as his value continues to drop.  If ever there was a player who needed a manager like Unai its him  . All the ability in the world but no idea how to put it all together on the pitch.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Might go in for Felix again as his value continues to drop.  If ever there was a player who needed a manager like Unai its him  . All the ability in the world but no idea how to put it all together on the pitch.  

No thanks.

He had his chance, same with Chukwuemeka.

Leave the losers at Chelsea.

I think our main priorities in the summer should be the CVO and DR positions. 

If we get the Corrupt VAR Official and Dirty Referee positions right I think we’ll be a proper team next season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burchy said:

I think our main priorities in the summer should be the CVO and DR positions. 

If we get the Corrupt VAR Official and Dirty Referee positions right I think we’ll be a proper team next season 

What on earth is a CVO?

...OK, yeah, I should probably work on my attention span.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Confused 1

I've seen a couple of people mention Homegrown as a consideration for transfers, so I looked into the details.

The rules for the PL and Europa League appear to differ slightly in that the Europa League requires 4 of your HG players to have actually been trained by the club. Since I think we only really need to do much work on the squad if we make Europe, I'm going to go with those regulations. I'm also assuming Steer (Out of Contract) and all the senior guys out on loan will be sold\loaned again.

We have max 17 spots for non-UK trained players (currently 5 free spots)

We have max 21 max spots for non-Villa trained players (currently 3 free spots) (Euro squad only)

Ramsey and Sinisalo (and Archer if not loaned again) will be over-21 next year, so will occupy 2 (or 3) of the over 21 club trained spots, but all of the other youth players who would reasonably be in contention (except maybe Finn Azaz at a massive push) will still be U-21, as will Duran, so won't count against the squad. Since we're probably not going to sign Grealish\Chukwuemeka\Siegrist\Sarkic, if we sign any additional players beyond the 3 open squad positions, we would only be able to use them in domestic competition.

SUMMARY

Basically the Homegrown thing isn't a big concern as long as we're not tearing the whole squad down. We shouldn't sign more than 3 net new non-HG players (i.e. Over-21 Non-HG signings minus Over-21 Non-HG outgoings). If we sign more than 5 non-HG players, we definitely need to sell some non-HG players (like Olsen and Traore, arguably Bailey who are among the most likely to leave anyway).

We should sign some talented 18 year olds if possible, as they would eventually qualify to fill the club trained spots in future. Duran was born a month too early 😞.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

This...  Could be brilliant for us under Emery.  He's an incredible talent, but he'll have a lot of suitors this summer.  

3 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

I've seen a couple of people mention Homegrown as a consideration for transfers, so I looked into the details.

The rules for the PL and Europa League appear to differ slightly in that the Europa League requires 4 of your HG players to have actually been trained by the club. Since I think we only really need to do much work on the squad if we make Europe, I'm going to go with those regulations. I'm also assuming Steer (Out of Contract) and all the senior guys out on loan will be sold\loaned again.

We have max 17 spots for non-UK trained players (currently 5 free spots)

We have max 21 max spots for non-Villa trained players (currently 3 free spots) (Euro squad only)

Ramsey and Sinisalo (and Archer if not loaned again) will be over-21 next year, so will occupy 2 (or 3) of the over 21 club trained spots, but all of the other youth players who would reasonably be in contention (except maybe Finn Azaz at a massive push) will still be U-21, as will Duran, so won't count against the squad. Since we're probably not going to sign Grealish\Chukwuemeka\Siegrist\Sarkic, if we sign any additional players beyond the 3 open squad positions, we would only be able to use them in domestic competition.

SUMMARY

Basically the Homegrown thing isn't a big concern as long as we're not tearing the whole squad down. We shouldn't sign more than 3 net new non-HG players (i.e. Over-21 Non-HG signings minus Over-21 Non-HG outgoings). If we sign more than 5 non-HG players, we definitely need to sell some non-HG players (like Olsen and Traore, arguably Bailey who are among the most likely to leave anyway).

We should sign some talented 18 year olds if possible, as they would eventually qualify to fill the club trained spots in future. Duran was born a month too early 😞.

Ramsey?