Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Will be reduced if Forest get relegated.

Maddison is getting linked to Newcastle for 40m regardless of whether Leicester stay up and this is far more proven top level player.

I think you could get Johnson for similar fee that we paid for Bailey/Buendia.

Didn't we pay £35m for Buendia?  That's not much of a drop from £40m.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Didn't we pay £35m for Buendia?  That's not much of a drop from £40m.

i think it was 34m, with add ons that could take it to 38m.

not exactly sure tho.

6 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Linked to 21 year old Feyenoord Mexican Striker Santiago Giménez. 22 goals in 41 games. Firing Feyenoord to the top of the Shteeve Mclaren league.

Not being funny I would want a higher ratio of goals from that league.

Alves has entered the chat 

14 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Linked to 21 year old Feyenoord Mexican Striker Santiago Giménez. 22 goals in 41 games. Firing Feyenoord to the top of the Shteeve Mclaren league.

interesting link. I'd also look at Pepi if this is the profile of attacker we are looking at. Though i don't know if another striker really fits when we have Ollie/Duran/Archer to come back

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Not being funny I would want a higher ratio of goals from that league.

Alves has entered the chat 

Luis Saurez only got 10 in 29 in his first season in Holland. He managed to go on and have a passable career.

22 goals from 41 in his first season in a new country, league and team where you don't know the language or any of the teammates is pretty good for a 21 y.o imo.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Luis Saurez only got 10 in 29 in his first season in Holland. He managed to go on and have a passable career.

22 goals from 41 in his first season in a new country, league and team where you don't know the language or any of the teammates is pretty good for a 21 y.o imo.

Top scorer in Eredivise is only 13 goals so far, so 9 from Giménez isn't that bad.

Joint top scorer is Xavi Simons for PSV, was very highly rated coming through Barcelona before going to PSG.  Only 19, seems to be tearing the Dutch league up.  Will probably move in the summer, could be a long term upgrade on Buendia.

1 hour ago, SecretVillaScout said:

The Dutch league deserves a bit more respect than that 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rich192 said:

I really don't get the fascination with Johnson, he's bang average. Scored a few goals, and now people rate him highly. Don't see it. 

I thought he looked good in their promotion year too, he also looks comfortable playing international football, but its down to who UE wants, at the end of the day. 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Will be reduced if Forest get relegated.

Maddison is getting linked to Newcastle for 40m regardless of whether Leicester stay up and this is far more proven top level player.

I think you could get Johnson for similar fee that we paid for Bailey/Buendia.

We will have him too then. ;)

1 hour ago, John said:

I thought he looked good in their promotion year too, he also looks comfortable playing international football, but its down to who UE wants, at the end of the day. 

I wasnt convinced last season either. But he is always in the thick of things this season still. Doesnt go missing.  But he is still 21 years of age. And he is quick   really quick. Lots of potential still but also now a proven premier league player . See how he gets on against Moreno tomorrow . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Joint top scorer is Xavi Simons for PSV, was very highly rated coming through Barcelona before going to PSG.  Only 19, seems to be tearing the Dutch league up.  Will probably move in the summer, could be a long term upgrade on Buendia.

Would love Simons here as he’d be great on the left cutting in. I’d go big on him now as he’ll be worth about 40m more in 2 years time

Of all these basic mainstream English names that keep getting mentioned like Maddison, Bowen, Mount, Abraham, Brennan Johnson and so on, Johnson is the only one I could see us being interested in, as something about him that makes me think he's Aston Villa style player, the others just don't seem Emery's style, all the kind of players we would have targetted with past head honchos Bruce and Smith at the helm.

Nico Williams, Pedro Goncalves, Luiz Henrique, Samuel Chukwueze, Alberto Moleiro, Lee Kang-in are more they type of players we will be targeting I suspect, might not be those ones in particular, but players of a similar profile.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, useless said:

Of all these basic mainstream English names that keep getting mentioned like Maddison, Bowen, Mount, Abraham, Brennan Johnson and so on, Johnson is the only one I could see us being interested in, as something about him that makes me think he's Aston Villa style player, the others just don't seem Emery's style, all the kind of players we would have targetted with past head honchos Bruce and Smith at the helm.

Nico Williams, Pedro Goncalves, Luiz Henrique, Samuel Chukwueze, Alberto Moleiro, Lee Kang-in are more they type of players we will be targeting I suspect, might not be those ones in particular, but players of a similar profile.

Can’t agree, some of the players you mention in the first paragraph do seem like Emery’s style to me.  Not saying we are interested or after them but their attributes are very much in Emery’s style.

Regarding Johnson, I had a look on FBref and WhoScored, and I’m doubling down on my stance about him being bang average:

C5F2951A-D17E-41E2-8FBD-5EE0DEA5BEA1.thumb.jpeg.b1c6634b1fcc619146bebcdf9eadb384.jpeg

And has a 6.54 rating in the league this season. 

We can, and will attract far better. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1