Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

10 hours ago, supermon said:

Barnes is what I thought Bailey was going to be, albeit on different wings but Barnes was a constant menace. His pace is something that's be so useful for us.

Took the words straight out of my mouth.

as you say....That is pace.

He is also quick thinking, he was quick off the mark for that late penalty claim.

I think they would have to go down, to have a chance for him.

I had a look Foxestalk and they were talking about Barnes in exactly the same way people on here talk about Traore and in the past have talked about the likes of Trezeguet and El Ghazi. Besides I don't think we will be going tor these names like Mount, Abraham, Gallagher, Barnes and so on that are getting talked about, doesn't really seem like Emery's style. Nico Williams more likely.

• Like 2

Just now, useless said:

I had a look Foxestalk and they were talking about Barnes in exactly the same way people on here talk about Traore and in the past have talked about the likes of Trezeguet and El Ghazi. Besides I don't think we will be going tor these names like Mount, Abraham, Gallagher, Barnes and so on that are getting talked about, doesn't really seem like Emery's style. Nico Williams more likely.

Yep, La Liga is where we'll be shopping.  A lot of technically gifted players able to pass under pressure, quickly in tight spaces.  We should be able to poach a lot of talent from there outside Real/Barca.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lexicon said:

From what I've heard, Barnes is quite inconsistent and we might have an unrealistic view of him as he always seems to turn up against us. That said, Leicester are a basket case at the moment and if he can reach those levels, then who better than Emery to get something out of him regularly? 

Always turns it on against us. Get him in a Villa shirt and he'll turn it on all the time.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

(All comps)

2022/23 - 10 goals 3 assists (33 games)

2021/22 - 11 goals 14 assists (48 games)

2020/21 - 13 goals 4 assists (34 games)

2019/20 - 7 goals 9 assists (42 games)

If that's inconsistency then sign him up immediately. 

Great stats! He's always impressed me but then I only watch Leicester when they play us. My opinion is a bit skewed. Matt Elliott is, in my head, one of the all time great goalscoring centre backs for example.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

(All comps)

100% agree with this. He's always struck me as a great player. Dont see it happening because he is a LW and he'd be getting in way of Moreno in our system. 

If we were really big time (eg in CL) and wanted to have option of switching up system so we could have a really attacking RB too and Barnes too maybe it could work. 

Dont see that as a this summer thing. My guess is we'll be going all out on a LW/forward and a 10. 

I think Emery likes Buendia but 1 assist all season isn't great reading for someone in his position. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

(All comps)

It's possible to have decent goal contribution stats and still be inconsistent. I think what Lexicon is implying is that Barnes is streaky, he'll pop up with at goal contribution and then disappears, just like El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Traore do. 

I think we need wingers that are more consistent and visible throughout the game, wingers that participate in keeping possession, build ups and overall play, who also have to be defensively solid to, rather than wingers that pop up with goals here and there and then disappear. 

I personally have not seen much of Barnes, can't say if he's good or not. I though wasn't overly impressed by his overall game yesterday, altough his goal was very impressive

Edited by Chicken Field

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

This run of form, if it continues, should help us in the summer, with recruitment.

If this run continues, will we even need to recruit? 😅

Besides a replacement for Olsen, obviously. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

It's possible to have decent goal contribution stats and still be inconsistent. I think what Lexicon is implying is that Barnes is streaky, he'll pop up with at goal contribution and then disapears, just like El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Traore do. 

I think we need wingers that are more consistent and visible throughout the game, wingers that participate in keeping possession, build ups and overall play, who also have to be defensively solid to, rather than wingers that pop up with goals here and there and then disapear. 

Wingers by definition are inconsistent.

To get them to do all the things you suggest, is hard.

I would even be happy with one, who is just offensive, that would be novel.

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If we qualify for Europe a bigger squad is needed.  And even if we don't get Europe this season, we should be pushing for CL next season so maybe need 2-3 quality additions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Wingers by definition are inconsistent.

To get them to do all the things you suggest, is hard.

I would even be happy with one, who is just offensive, that would be novel.

Agreed, they'd be 100 million a player if they could do everything :) My point was just that I'm very certain that Emery looks at more than just goal contributions, as they need to contribute in other ways for the rest of the game, hence why he has deployed players like Buendia, coutinho and Ramsey on the wings, they contribute in build up and general play, rather than traditional explosive wingers. 

Baena and Pino who were typically the wing players for Villareal do not have the most impressive goal contribution stats, but are very effective in general play. 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yes, I think so, because, despite this fantastic run, there are still some weak points.

When we are turning in these, great results, no one wants to be picky.....but when you watch the game carefully, there are still things we need to improve on.

There is no static in this game, you are either moving forward or moveing backwards....to keep the momentum, we need to recruit, but not upset the harmony, by signing too many....we now need quality, not quantity, albeit, we will be in more competitions at this rate.

Winning football is great, but it can so easily turn.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If we qualify for Europe a bigger squad is needed.  And even if we don't get Europe this season, we should be pushing for CL next season so maybe need 2-3 quality additions.

Just now, TRO said:

Yes, I think so, because, despite this fantastic run, there are still some weak points.

When we are turning in these, great results, no one wants to be picky.....but when you watch the game carefully, there are still things we need to improve on.

There is no static in this game, you are either moving forward or moveing backwards....to keep the momentum, we need to recruit, but not upset the harmony, by signing too many....we now need quality, not quantity, albeit, we will be in more competitions at this rate.

Winning football is great, but it can so easily turn.

Serious answers for an unserious question, lads 😅

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Serious answers for an unserious question, lads 😅

sorry....I did kinda get the jest, but wanted to answer like I did.

I think there can be a danger, when we are on such a great run, that we have arrived.....but we still have to improve.

I have no doubt UE is on that.

Guezdouzi still makes all the sense in the world to me if it can be done. Quality player, good relationship with Emery, athletic and can play in either the central midfield position or the more advanced role on the right as he has done at times for Marseilles.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Guezdouzi still makes all the sense in the world to me if it can be done. Quality player, good relationship with Emery, athletic and can play in either the central midfield position or the more advanced role on the right as he has done at times for Marseilles.

Was looking the other day and his goal contribution not great 2G 3A and last game scored 2nd goal from pen then got subbed off after 60 odd minutes. What was surprising otherwise and shows how out of touch with foreign football I am is that 34 year old Alexis Shanchez is their leading goal scorer on 12 goals

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Was looking the other day and his goal contribution not great 2G 3A and last game scored 2nd goal from pen then got subbed off after 60 odd minutes. What was surprising otherwise and shows how out of touch with foreign football I am is that 34 year old Alexis Shanchez is their leading goal scorer on 12 goals

I think last season he was more advanced and put up double figures for G+A, this season he seems to be playing deeper or at least as a more conventional midfielder and most of his best work has been carrying the ball from deep, his range of passing etc.