Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

9 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Buendia comes very deep, far deeper than any of Newcastles wide forwards

No idea regards Newcastle's forwards beyond what I can see in the stats (apart from being well aware that Joelinton has been used at centre mid a fair bit), but Buendia coming "very deep" doesn't seem right at all. How many times have we seen him chasing the ball round the oppo's back line, pressing further forward and with more intensity than Watkins or Bailey? This happens alot. And statistically he attempts more tackles that any of the players we are talking about in the final third, which kinda back's this up.

I think we've strayed some what from my original point on Newcastle, which is I think they show a reasonably similar path to what we might see. Apart from I think we are starting from a better place with a more experienced manager, so I don't think the volume of signings needs to be quite as great.

Mings is decent at playing out, but he isn't on the level of a Laporte, Dias, Pau Torres. But I'm happy with Mings currently. The right CB is far more of a priority. For me i believe in have 3 top quality CB's, and Carlos being able to play both sides effectively is perfect. But until his last season or two at Sevilla his ball playing was considered a weakness, and he is still rather conservative in that regard, also the pace and aggressionof the prem, combined with how many teams high press will be a real test of his ball playing. Carlos has made his name as primarily being a quick and robust defender.

Don't see it unless we are cashing in on Konsa, or Carlos is a disaster, which doesn't seem likely to me unless he ends up with another serious injury. I just don't see major outgoings given the current squad size, the way they are playing, or from the financial side of things. There's a whole bunch of players out on loan or unfancied that we'll be looking to shift first.

And a fit and well Carlos I'd assume the club consider to be a level above Mings. And if we aren't replacing Mings, which I'd say is pretty clear from his new contract, then Carlos isn't being dropped either. I think there's a pretty solid partnership to be built there for the next few seasons. Then we might be looking at who steps in next, whether that be Konsa, a new signing, or one of the highly rated youths has perhaps made great leaps.

Don't see the conservatism in Carlos' passing either. Stat seem to show a pretty varied passing range, 70-90 percentile for medium and long passes with decent conversion rates.

Both Carlos and Mings are turning 30 next season, so having a younger player on their level or higher for the RCB position makes so much sense to me. If I were to prioritise, I'd say, midfielder (in the right or left midfielder position),as we are a player light there, also I'm not convinced by Buendia in there. I feel McGinn is suited to us playing on the counter, I've always found he short passing rather inconsistent. JJ is still young and needs to develop, I believe Emery is trying to develop his defensive side first, which has mean his attacking output is suffering. I see Iroegbunam deserving of a chance to compete with Luiz. Kamara and Dendonker is good enough for the more defensive of the central midfielders. Right forward is on par in terms of importance to the wide central midfielder, but very hard to bring the required quality in.  Then right CB. If we can address these key areas you will see an improvement in style of play and ability to break down low blocks, which for me is a major weaknesses (the low block). At least two of the three is required at a minimum.

Buendia's defensive work is solid and his chance creation is good. Given we have him, Coutinho and Ramsey again I just don't see a priority here. McGinn short passing has always been an issue, hence why we should have never been playing him so deep under previous managers. But that's much less an issue further forward, as a 10 or in the role he's in now where he is excelling. Similar to Buendia he's got good defensive workrate for the press and can create chances at a good level.

For me it's the Bailey second striker role and right back as tier 1 priority, for similar reasons: minimal alternatives/squad depth and existing option, though good enough players, perhaps not best suited to the set up. They are the easiest positions where we can spend money to get high quality, more suitable players in, while still having squad space to retain the existing first choice players as alt/rotation options.

Then it's go big on 1/2 of three positions: right side AM, ST, DC. All of these I think we have good enough first choice and/or they are performing well under Emery. But there is capacity in the squad to bring in extra players and have the existing players in these positions still well involved. I say 1 or 2 because I think the likely budget and the likely spend to bring in significant improvements in these areas will be pretty well used up with 3/4 signings.

For any of the above positions it has to be bringing in to go into the first XI and improve what we already have. After this, there's maybe only one position we need a depth fill and would struggle to replace the current starters, which is centre mid. Like you say, I think Iroegbunam might be a good fit here if deemed ready and he would actually see minutes.

Anything beyond this is sell to buy and I wouldn't be pushing for any of them: GK DC DL MC AM.

12 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

No idea regards Newcastle's forwards beyond what I can see in the stats (apart from being well aware that Joelinton has been used at centre mid a fair bit), but Buendia coming "very deep" doesn't seem right at all. How many times have we seen him chasing the ball round the oppo's back line, pressing further forward and with more intensity than Watkins or Bailey? This happens alot. And statistically he attempts more tackles that any of the players we are talking about in the final third, which kinda back's this up.

I think we've strayed some what from my original point on Newcastle, which is I think they show a reasonably similar path to what we might see. Apart from I think we are starting from a better place with a more experienced manager, so I don't think the volume of signings needs to be quite as great.

Don't see it unless we are cashing in on Konsa, or Carlos is a disaster, which doesn't seem likely to me unless he ends up with another serious injury. I just don't see major outgoings given the current squad size, the way they are playing, or from the financial side of things. There's a whole bunch of players out on loan or unfancied that we'll be looking to shift first.

And a fit and well Carlos I'd assume the club consider to be a level above Mings. And if we aren't replacing Mings, which I'd say is pretty clear from his new contract, then Carlos isn't being dropped either. I think there's a pretty solid partnership to be built there for the next few seasons. Then we might be looking at who steps in next, whether that be Konsa, a new signing, or one of the highly rated youths has perhaps made great leaps.

Don't see the conservatism in Carlos' passing either. Stat seem to show a pretty varied passing range, 70-90 percentile for medium and long passes with decent conversion rates.

Buendia's defensive work is solid and his chance creation is good. Given we have him, Coutinho and Ramsey again I just don't see a priority here. McGinn short passing has always been an issue, hence why we should have never been playing him so deep under previous managers. But that's much less an issue further forward, as a 10 or in the role he's in now where he is excelling. Similar to Buendia he's got good defensive workrate for the press and can create chances at a good level.

For me it's the Bailey second striker role and right back as tier 1 priority, for similar reasons: minimal alternatives/squad depth and existing option, though good enough players, perhaps not best suited to the set up. They are the easiest positions where we can spend money to get high quality, more suitable players in, while still having squad space to retain the existing first choice players as alt/rotation options.

Then it's go big on 1/2 of three positions: right side AM, ST, DC. All of these I think we have good enough first choice and/or they are performing well under Emery. But there is capacity in the squad to bring in extra players and have the existing players in these positions still well involved. I say 1 or 2 because I think the likely budget and the likely spend to bring in significant improvements in these areas will be pretty well used up with 3/4 signings.

For any of the above positions it has to be bringing in to go into the first XI and improve what we already have. After this, there's maybe only one position we need a depth fill and would struggle to replace the current starters, which is centre mid. Like you say, I think Iroegbunam might be a good fit here if deemed ready and he would actually see minutes.

Anything beyond this is sell to buy and I wouldn't be pushing for any of them: GK DC DL MC AM.

Buendia doesn't play as high up as Bailey for example. Almiron, ASM, and Murphy all play high up and look to get in behind and work their respective channels. Buendia doesn't play like this because he hasn't got the pace for it. He is similar to McGinn in that he follows the play, always trying to be 'in the thick of things.' As a result he does indeed get through a lot of work. He is constantly making challenges, but what is his tackle success rate? With Buendia I don't doubt the work he puts in, but the effectiveness of that work.

If you look at Newcastle the attack is Joelinton, Almiron, and Wilson, all players Howe inherited. The midfield includes Willock and Longstaff also inherited. Their defence however has been almost completely rebuilt from Goalie to DM. The path Emery has to take is different. Also Newcastle have achieved nothing yet. They can still drop out of the top 6.

Howe has more prem experience and is a very bright young manager, probably the best English manager out there. I listened to the long interview he did and was very impressed with his man management, and his commitment to coaching and developing his players. I have since been impressed with the defense he has forged and the quality of the press he has implemented. Which is a different approach to the one he had at Bournemouth. This is a coach that's still developing himself.

The DM and Goalie Emery has are top class. With two high quality CB'S, and in Cash and Digne very good fullbacks. The back four can all but improved on but not by much, and not easily. It's not about a total rebuild, but a remodeling to suit the change in approach. For me a proper ball player is needed at centre back, and maybe a RB that can defend really well in addition to having composure and ability to play out. Ultimately the situations are similar in that a few well chosen acquisitions can revitalise the team, however the nature of those acquisitions are rather different, and the style of play also.

The midfield is light a player, Coutinho has been used as a 10, not as a wide midfielder, Buendia can be used as both. However Coutinho's injury record, and Emery's apparent desire for two pacy forwards (including the striker) suggests that we are light in both the wide midfielder and wide forward position. The only way a wide midfielder isn't needed is if Emery decides he wants three in midfield, rather than 4.

I'm suggesting 4 signings which is 3 first team improvements, and a back up Goalie. However if he has faith any of the 4 young keepers we have that's great. Bare in mind Newcastle have bought 8 or 9 players under Howe. I'm proposing a total in the region of 6 (including the two we have already signed), plus possible replacements for a couple first team squad players that may (or may not) be moving on. Maybe a bonus pacy left wide forward would be nice too, but that's an icing on the cake type thing!

Essentially I agree with in you in regards to numbers, and the right forward position. However I feel the AM position is light in numbers (unless Aaron Ramsey returns and impresses) so needs to be looked at as being a priority also. The CB position is important from a stylistic point of view and how much the right player here could improve us. For me Konsa isn't a top 6 starting CB. Carlos has question marks, and Mings is always one mistake away from calamity. It makes sense to bring in a real top draw player here to build the defense around for the next 5 to 10 years.

In regards to Carlos, his passing statistics (like Mings) is boosted by his long passes (in terms of distance). What I'm specifically talking about is short passing and movement. Mings likes that ball to the left channel for Watkins. Carlos likes to switch the play. These aren't particularly nimble pass and move the ball players. One of the reasons Pep's Barca always played Mascherano as CB was to have a player that could link up with Danny Alves and carry the ball out of defense to Xavi and Messi. I suspect Emery wants to do something along those lines on one of our flanks. (But with a proper centre back, unless he decides to put Kamara there). 

We currently have 4 centre backs, but Chambers for me is poor at centre back. Also Chambers is extremely versatile, so having him as a 5th centre back aswell as a third right back, and third DM gives the squad a lot of depth. An additional centre back for me makes too much sense not to look at it. 

As you say all those players like Sanson, Hause, and so on need to be moved on for the benefit of all parties. Do we extend Youngs contract (I'm not convinced), is Digne content to fight for his place? These all need to be addressed. But the fullback positions are 100% if one comes in one has to go out.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sne said:

Any chance we might be interested in Reiss Nelson? He's out of contract in the summer and apparently Emery was a fan when he was manager at Arsenal.

It'd be a smart signing but he might prefer to stay in London and join any of the 9749 southern teams in the league. These London kids almost always do.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, est1874 said:

It'd be a smart signing but he might prefer to stay in London and join any of the 9749 southern teams in the league. These London kids almost always do.

I'd like to sign him 

But screams like a West Ham signing, or Palace to me...

13 hours ago, sne said:

Any chance we might be interested in Reiss Nelson? He's out of contract in the summer and apparently Emery was a fan when he was manager at Arsenal.

I was going to suggest the same.

14 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Buendia doesn't play as high up as Bailey for example. Almiron, ASM, and Murphy all play high up and look to get in behind and work their respective channels. Buendia doesn't play like this because he hasn't got the pace for it. He is similar to McGinn in that he follows the play, always trying to be 'in the thick of things.' As a result he does indeed get through a lot of work. He is constantly making challenges, but what is his tackle success rate? With Buendia I don't doubt the work he puts in, but the effectiveness of that work.

If you look at Newcastle the attack is Joelinton, Almiron, and Wilson, all players Howe inherited. The midfield includes Willock and Longstaff also inherited. Their defence however has been almost completely rebuilt from Goalie to DM. The path Emery has to take is different. Also Newcastle have achieved nothing yet. They can still drop out of the top 6.

Howe has more prem experience and is a very bright young manager, probably the best English manager out there. I listened to the long interview he did and was very impressed with his man management, and his commitment to coaching and developing his players. I have since been impressed with the defense he has forged and the quality of the press he has implemented. Which is a different approach to the one he had at Bournemouth. This is a coach that's still developing himself.

The DM and Goalie Emery has are top class. With two high quality CB'S, and in Cash and Digne very good fullbacks. The back four can all but improved on but not by much, and not easily. It's not about a total rebuild, but a remodeling to suit the change in approach. For me a proper ball player is needed at centre back, and maybe a RB that can defend really well in addition to having composure and ability to play out. Ultimately the situations are similar in that a few well chosen acquisitions can revitalise the team, however the nature of those acquisitions are rather different, and the style of play also.

The midfield is light a player, Coutinho has been used as a 10, not as a wide midfielder, Buendia can be used as both. However Coutinho's injury record, and Emery's apparent desire for two pacy forwards (including the striker) suggests that we are light in both the wide midfielder and wide forward position. The only way a wide midfielder isn't needed is if Emery decides he wants three in midfield, rather than 4.

I'm suggesting 4 signings which is 3 first team improvements, and a back up Goalie. However if he has faith any of the 4 young keepers we have that's great. Bare in mind Newcastle have bought 8 or 9 players under Howe. I'm proposing a total in the region of 6 (including the two we have already signed), plus possible replacements for a couple first team squad players that may (or may not) be moving on. Maybe a bonus pacy left wide forward would be nice too, but that's an icing on the cake type thing!

Essentially I agree with in you in regards to numbers, and the right forward position. However I feel the AM position is light in numbers (unless Aaron Ramsey returns and impresses) so needs to be looked at as being a priority also. The CB position is important from a stylistic point of view and how much the right player here could improve us. For me Konsa isn't a top 6 starting CB. Carlos has question marks, and Mings is always one mistake away from calamity. It makes sense to bring in a real top draw player here to build the defense around for the next 5 to 10 years.

In regards to Carlos, his passing statistics (like Mings) is boosted by his long passes (in terms of distance). What I'm specifically talking about is short passing and movement. Mings likes that ball to the left channel for Watkins. Carlos likes to switch the play. These aren't particularly nimble pass and move the ball players. One of the reasons Pep's Barca always played Mascherano as CB was to have a player that could link up with Danny Alves and carry the ball out of defense to Xavi and Messi. I suspect Emery wants to do something along those lines on one of our flanks. (But with a proper centre back, unless he decides to put Kamara there). 

We currently have 4 centre backs, but Chambers for me is poor at centre back. Also Chambers is extremely versatile, so having him as a 5th centre back aswell as a third right back, and third DM gives the squad a lot of depth. An additional centre back for me makes too much sense not to look at it. 

As you say all those players like Sanson, Hause, and so on need to be moved on for the benefit of all parties. Do we extend Youngs contract (I'm not convinced), is Digne content to fight for his place? These all need to be addressed. But the fullback positions are 100% if one comes in one has to go out.

I think there is a danger, we over rate some of our players....UE is working wonders, but we still lack quality in certain positions....He has to have better players, for him to succeed.

There is some really good points in there, but we won't move forward unless we are ascertive, in our recruitment...as an example, how many wingers have we signed who can't beat a man?....how many full backs have we signed, who can't stop a cross.

This summer, will be a big indication, if we have the Nous, to move it on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trillvillan said:

I'd like to sign him 

But screams like a West Ham signing, or Palace to me...

Does he want to play in the Championship thou :D 

• Haha 1

I have no idea who we’re looking at bringing in, I know who I want and I’m sure all of you do too. I think there will be some surprises in there and we’ll all be like Whooooooo?!?

For me though, whoever we bring in they’ll need to have a bit of guile about them.

They’ll need to be technical, skilful and an upgrade on what we have obviously but they’ll need to have fight and be willing to graft too. Too many of players in the best haven’t had that. 

Plus as I’ve said before we need a beard in the team. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's not playing the wing system many on here seem to want and neither are some of the top teams. We're 5th in form table since Emery joined with allegedly over rated players. Every signing is a potential gamble especially coming from another league. Salah and KDB flopped at first PL club. I think Emery is more important than any potential future signing.

Well, unless my eyes are deceiving me, Traore was playing in a right wing position. and he can't beat a man any more than Bailey can...and he seems to default to the wing.

I agree that UE has made a huge improvement in our ability to be harder to play against, but he needs the players to move us on....He might be Elite, but he is not a miracle worker.

I don't think we can pick manager or players, we need both to succeed....its not as simple as saying one or the other....UE needs the tools.

I also think its foolish to get carried away, its not long ago, we conceded 11 goals in 3 games and In my opinion, despite some misses by us, they could have scored 3/4 with more clinical finishing...Bowen was causing us problems, that could have resulted in a worse scenario.

Every signing is a gamble, but we have bought too many, who have failed to raise our profile to top ten....A number of teams, with better recruitment performance recently have made the top ten. "Every signing is a gamble" is a cop out, we have to do better in terms of balance and output.....Danny Ings showed on Sunday, just how much his work rate and pressing was sub standard, for what we want....He was Passive, bar from his grappling with Buendia.

Whilst our record under UE is undoubtedly impressive, there is still much work to do.....we have conceded just a couple more goals than the bottom 2, so in the summer a few players who can defend to add to the squad, would be nifty.

This Summer is crucial to get right IMO.....and much depends on it, to get our much awaited progress on track.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, burchy said:

I have no idea who we’re looking at bringing in, I know who I want and I’m sure all of you do too. I think there will be some surprises in there and we’ll all be like Whooooooo?!?

For me though, whoever we bring in they’ll need to have a bit of guile about them.

They’ll need to be technical, skilful and an upgrade on what we have obviously but they’ll need to have fight and be willing to graft too. Too many of players in the best haven’t had that. 

Plus as I’ve said before we need a beard in the team. 

I want to see a few players come in,( to the squad) who find defending a natural trait....amongst ones, who can improve us offensively, too....we need a mix.

The squad is thin in any case, so I want to see, that rectified.

Players must have competition, and managers must have options, to change games.

Anyone who thinks our defence is ok, needs to think again ......we are keeping the lid shut with players predominately with Offensive qualities.

Edited by TRO

22 hours ago, est1874 said:

He's barely played for years.

Balogun would actually be a good pick up given he's scoring loads in France, Reims probably can't afford him full time and he needs to play somewhere every week and that won't be happening anytime soon at Arsenal.

I see us prioritising a RB, winger, versatile midfielder and a versatile centre back option and a striker. So potentially five major summer signings coming in, plus usual departures. Going to be an overwhelming clear out as we get more technical players who can play out from the back and have the mental fortitude Unai wants. 

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Players who shouldnt be starting for us next season if we have ambitions of europe.

Bailey

Konsa

Cash

Ramsey

Digne

Did i miss anyone?

I’m okay with Cash starting and Ramsey has ability.

Konsa and Digne can stay in the squad.

Bailey has got to go.

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Players who shouldnt be starting for us next season if we have ambitions of europe.

Bailey

Konsa

Cash

Ramsey

Digne

Did i miss anyone?

I think Ramsey, still has time on his side, but he needs to become more productive, in his play.

I too think we have a small group who are carrying us through to decent results.

23 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Bailey

Konsa

Cash

Ramsey

Digne

Did i miss anyone?

One of those doesn't start already (except as occasional rotation), and another is only starting due to injury to another player. Digne and Konsa already drop out through this. 

I think we could get Europe if we improved on Bailey and Cash alone.  We've been constantly in European form since Emery arrived with the squad we have currently anyway, so no way we need 3 new starters just to get 7th place (assuming we accept Digne and Konsa aren't starters next season based on who we already have).

Obviously, to maintain a whole season at that level we need better backups,  and improving our whole right hand side would probably turn a few of our draws and losses into more points as well. So those two improvements alone probably get us to 7th. Bailey completely ineffectual at the moment and has been for a while, Cash a bit of a weak link in that he's more likely to concede a penalty or a dangerous free kick than he is to assist or score. 

Digne presumably only starts when Moreno is rested and he's capable enough in that role. Costs too much to play a backup role, so if we can sell and then replace him I'd be happy, but not necessary to do so to qualify for Europe. 

Ramsey is off the boil at the moment but if he gets back to his best form (and finds a role that works for him in Emery's system) he could well play a key role in our push for Europe next season. Agree on current form he could be easily upgraded on, but it's not for me a necessity. 

Leaves Konsa who will be replaced by Carlos anyway and then he's kept around as a very capable back up. Assuming you want then a backup better than Konsa to come in to cover for any injuries then I don't think that's necessary for Europe either

Edited by MrBlack

So, based on my last post, what I'd like to see this summer regards to new first team starters:

A new right back (Cash becomes rotation/ backup. Konsa even a potential backup next season)

A new second striker (Bailey or Traore become the backup, the other is sold)

A new complete midfielder (Guendouzi type).

Then beyond that, anything else is a bonus.  I'd list the below in that category:

We need a backup gk we can rely on, but maybe one of the youths shows enough promise to take on that role.

A cheaper replacement for Digne to free up FFP funds for elsewhere

A more capable backup to Luiz/Kamara than either Donck or Chambers (Tim Iroegbunam may be this).

• Like 1