Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

#AnyWingerButBailey

#SummerTransfers2023

If Bailey had never joined us, he'd be near the top of the list of players we'd be looking to sign based on his stats at Leverkusen. A goalscoring winger with pace. He'd be perfect!

That's the big risk with spending big on a guy like Nico Williams. He might not really be suited to the supporting striker role either. Bailey was more prolific than Williams has been to this point. 

On the flip side, if we wait until Williams has actually shown the ability to do that, we'll never be able to sign him (might be too late already even).

Whoever we do sign, the same fans that are constantly denigrating Watkins/Mings/McGinn and have completely written off Bailey/Buendia/Coutinho/Dendonker and want to start Archer, Iroegbunam, three Ramseys, Luke, Stefan and Kobei Moore, and any Cowans in the academy, will immediately be on their back unless they score every time they touch the ball anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

If Bailey had never joined us, he'd be near the top of the list of players we'd be looking to sign based on his stats at Leverkusen. A goalscoring winger with pace. He'd be perfect!

That's the big risk with spending big on a guy like Nico Williams. He might not really be suited to the supporting striker role either. Bailey was more prolific than Williams has been to this point. 

On the flip side, if we wait until Williams has actually shown the ability to do that, we'll never be able to sign him (might be too late already even).

Whoever we do sign, the same fans that are constantly denigrating Watkins/Mings/McGinn and have completely written off Bailey/Buendia/Coutinho/Dendonker and want to start Archer, Iroegbunam, three Ramseys, Luke, Stefan and Kobei Moore, and any Cowans in the academy, will immediately be on their back unless they score every time they touch the ball anyway.

I don't blame the club for signing Bailey. I really wanted him based on what I'd seen. 

I was wrong. He's crap. Maybe it was the injury, maybe it wasn't.

• Like 1

My personal feeling is that neither Bailey, or Buendia have been good enough on a consistent basis. They have both had very impressive moments, and matches, but mostly they give the ball away the majority of the time. Coutinho for me is the most intelligent of our 3 creative player, and thus I consider him to be better than Bailey and Buendia.

The thing with Bailey is he is the only one with genuine pace. And Coutinho and Buendia have similar games, when on the ball. So we have to get an alternative to Bailey at least as Traore is obviously not favoured.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think we should raid Sheffield United if they somehow don't get promoted- sounds odd to say but they have at least 2 real quality players in Anel Ahmedhodzic and Iliman Ndiaye. The latter being who i think can play anywhere across the front 3 and even drop into the midfield for emergency purposes. Sander Berge is good and could do a job, but not a necessity. 

Ludovic Blas is a player who if we're looking for a versatile winger I'd have an eye on...

5 hours ago, Philosopher said:

My personal feeling is that neither Bailey, or Buendia have been good enough on a consistent basis. They have both had very impressive moments, and matches, but mostly they give the ball away the majority of the time. Coutinho for me is the most intelligent of our 3 creative player, and thus I consider him to be better than Bailey and Buendia.

The thing with Bailey is he is the only one with genuine pace. And Coutinho and Buendia have similar games, when on the ball. So we have to get an alternative to Bailey at least as Traore is obviously not favoured.

Totally agree on Buendia, when we signed him he was literally their talisman, the guy who puts in a 9/10 every week and he hasn’t been anything like that for us. Maybe stick him in the Brighton team or Arsenal and he could thrive again but I don’t think we’ve ever played the style of football to really suit him.

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Totally agree on Buendia, when we signed him he was literally their talisman, the guy who puts in a 9/10 every week and he hasn’t been anything like that for us. Maybe stick him in the Brighton team or Arsenal and he could thrive again but I don’t think we’ve ever played the style of football to really suit him.

In the Championship.

On 06/03/2023 at 18:50, VillaParkAvenue said:

Goncalves is in the Coutinho mould - small and lightweight. We have an abundance of that sort, and don’t tiny technical 10s tend to struggle in the Prem?

yes...its ok to have players like that, as long as there are some chaperones of stature......it needs the mix, to be right.....all the top teams have the mix right.

Too many too small or too tall, get the mix wrong and the balance is lost.

5 hours ago, Philosopher said:

watching Bailey in a foot race with ( not sure who it was) against Crystal Palace, his pace was mediocre and he was beaten....I was led to believe this guy was a speedy Gonzales......Not so.

I don't know where some of the judgments come from on some of the players we buy.

10 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

If Bailey had never joined us, he'd be near the top of the list of players we'd be looking to sign based on his stats at Leverkusen. A goalscoring winger with pace. He'd be perfect

I dunno, I'm still wondering how we went to leverkusen to scout a winger and came with Bailey and not Diaby 

He will leave this summer 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I see a slight difference between the 2......Buendia, has a go,he is tenacious,  but is a bit lightweight, a good player imo, would work better with a more robust player close to him, like Bernado Silva has a few around him like Rodri, De Bruyne and Gundogan.

Bailey, should be able to beat his man, but Can't, but to compound this, he doesn't track back like Bryan Mbeumo does......He then renders himself a passenger.

If Leon Bailey was stripping his opponents, and creating goal scoring opportunities, more regular....he would be forgiven for not tracking back....I can think of some top class wingers, who didn't track back, but they did their prime function with aplomb.

You cannot get away at this level with being mediocre at attacking and defending....I don't want to dig the guy out, but he has to do better, with at least one.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno, I'm still wondering how we went to leverkusen to scout a winger and came with Bailey and not Diaby 

when you see our recruitment as a whole, over a period of time, do you really wonder?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, TRO said:

I see a slight difference between the 2......Buendia, has a go,he is tenacious,  but is a bit lightweight, a good player imo, would work better with a more robust player close to him, like Bernado Silva has a few around him like Rodri, De Bruyne and Gundogan.

Bailey, should be able to beat his man, but Can't, but to compound this, he doesn't track back like Bryan Mbeumo does......He then renders himself a passenger.

If Leon Bailey was stripping his opponents, and creating goal scoring opportunities, more regular....he would be forgiven for not tracking back....I can think of some top class wingers, who didn't track back, but they did their prime function with aplomb.

You cannot get away at this level with being mediocre at attacking and defending....I don't want to dig the guy out, but he has to do better, with at least one.

But Bailey isn't being used in that way. Bailey is being asked to stay up and be a threat with his pace, which he does have. His teammates have said so themselves.  Buendia is slow so has to play deeper. 

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Bailey had the better previous season and track record

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In the Championship.

Top 3 for chances created per 90 in PL with Norwich behind De Bruyne and Grealish and 1st for chances created not converted. Players not on his wavelength is the problem. He's been instrumental in our good form under Emery 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Top 3 for chances created per 90 in PL with Norwich behind De Bruyne and Grealish and 1st for chances created not converted. Players not on his wavelength is the problem. He's been instrumental in our good form under Emery 

Case in point: That peach of a ball he played into Watkins that should have seen him score 6 in 6.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Case in point: That peach of a ball he played into Watkins that should have seen him score 6 in 6.

Or if McGinn could finish the nice cross Bailey provided with his wrong foot!

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Yeah - Aaron Ramsey has 5 goals, 3 assists in the Championship in 22 games. That comes out to around 10 & 6 over an entire season.

Being the player of the season and really standing out in the Championship is still quite the feat though. Its a grind of a league as we know and keeping such a high level when you are playing 3 times a week is impressive.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's been instrumental in our good form under Emery 

Pretty much all his creative stats per90 have dropped under Emery when compared with earlier in the season under Gerrard/Danks. Some, like xG, shot creating actions, key passes and passes into attacking areas have almost (or in some cases more than) halved.