Moussa Dembélé

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We had exactly what we needed in Watkins and Ings. Unfortunately in two players, not one.

If we could have mashed them together to make one player - perhaps a la Weird Science using Watkins and Ings action figures, some random electrical components and a Commodore 64 - we could have Watkings, superstriker. Knowing our luck he'd have Ings' pace and mobility and Watkins' finishing.

..and definitely wouldn't look like Kelly leBrock unfortunately 😔

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Salaries on FBRef aren't verified, they actually caught a lot of criticism for including starting to include this on the site a few months ago.

They are "verified" according to Capology, their source for their wage data. "A player's wage is considered 'verified' if it's been provided directly by the club or agent, and/or confirmed by multiple sources".

Dembele v Ings - I think Ings is probably a better finisher but Dembele might be a better all round fit for us. Better in the air from what I recall.

I haven’t seen Dembele play for a couple of seasons so don’t know if he’s got the pace he had when he was younger at Fulham. We’re definitely getting more strength and better aerial prowess with Dembele if we sign him. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Nobody is doing that. And since you quoted me a few times in the Duran thread where I said he simply isn't ready to the lead the line of a Premier League team yet, it's pretty ridiculous. Learn to actually read what is being posted rather than making it up in your head to attack fellow fans.

I've seen Dembele play multiple times and don't rate him on that basis.

The message board is rife with strong opinions on players and minimum actual knowledge—same with the world at large, of course. You weren't even nearly on my mind when I wrote that so I wouldn't worry about what I said too much! My frame of reference for suggesting plenty of people have really strong opinions on players they've barely seen play is decades, not a singular post on the Duran thread two days ago.

Edited by Rolta

11 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I agree that I wouldn't have sold Ings at this stage. And certainly not to replace him with Dembele. 

Hmmmmmmm.  I see your point.  But then on the other hand do you have a reputation for being one of the best managers in world football?  This site lends itself to anonymity.  So unless that really is you Sir Alex, I will side with Unai Emery on this one for the time being.

Just now, The_Steve said:

Strikers are a premium in any Jan window. If he comes in and scores a few goals that’s gets us up the table, he’s covered his fee and salary and then some. It’s a low risk move. 

He’s still ‘only’ 26. John Carew played everywhere before settling down with us maybe Dembele could do the same. Where did we sign Carew from again 🤔

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

He’s still ‘only’ 26. John Carew played everywhere before settling down with us maybe Dembele could do the same. Where did we sign Carew from again 🤔

Exactly!

This was realistically the only window we could shift Ings and Unai was kind enough to allow him to move rather than waste away. A younger, dynamic striker within a proven goal scoring record is exactly what we need. 

• Like 2

If it's £3m to bring him in now instead of the summer it makes sense to do that, otherwise we are pinning our hopes on Watkins staying injury free for the remainder of the season.

There's every chance that will happen, but we need to finished the season in as strong a position as possible to push on next season.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Not according to the post in the Duran thread that says Villa watched him for 6 months before agreeing to sign him. That's a Lange signing if anything.

If you read quotes on the Ings sale it is clear that transfers are Emery's decision - he decides. They may have watched Duran for 6 months, still Emery's decision in the end.

34 minutes ago, Nigel said:

The Barcelona version (being kind).

Player past his prime, motivation gone, offering nothing to the squad, sitting on massive wages.

Past his prime at 26? After scoring 22 goals last season? 

The comparison doesn't make sense at all. 

19 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Salaries on FBRef aren't verified, they actually caught a lot of criticism for including starting to include this on the site a few months ago.

That about Digne probably comes from Sky Germany reporter Florian Plettenberg (who's seen as fairly reliable). Someone writes something and then it spreads as fact.

• Like 1

Just a point to say that while as of today, Friday 20th January 2023, yes he is 26 years of age, he will turn 27 in July so therefore as per common VT practice, Moussa is already 27 years old. 

Essentially he’s already 30.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmmmmmmm.  I see your point.  But then on the other hand do you have a reputation for being one of the best managers in world football?  This site lends itself to anonymity.  So unless that really is you Sir Alex, I will side with Unai Emery on this one for the time being.

If the criteria for having an opinion is that you have to be Sir Alex then we may as well close the website down, along with every other football forum.

I'm not a manager, although I do work in football, watch football all over the world and one of my  partners is a PL agent so, whilst I am not Sir Alex, I do like to think I know a bit about football. And certainly enough to have an opinion.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â