Five Things a Real Villa Supporter Must Do Before They Die ...

Marka Ragnos

Topic is what it says on the tin -- however you interpret that. I think I'll always be an outsider supporter because it just isn't possible for me to get to Villa Park very often, living overseas. That always strikes me as something "real Villa fans" would consider a starting place for any self-respecting Villa supporter. But I may be wrong about that. But what would be five things that, for you, distinguish the real Villa fan from not? Some kinds of things I envision but could be utter nonsense:

• Achieve a certain number of visits to Villa Park?
  • Be born Villa to a Villa family?
  • Get a Villa tattoo?
  • Own the home kit?
  • Buy a season ticketer?
  • Go to such and such  a pub?
  • Wrestle a Bluenose?
  • Learn at least four Villa songs by heart?
  • Be on Villa Talk at least 10 years.
  • etc etc

I know we don't get as many plastics as some clubs, so I reckon your lists of five things would be very different from other clubs or maybe alike in some ways, but what do I know? I want read about your notions, not mine.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Yeah ... I am not an absolutely passionate Villa supporter. I think the answer is, be infected with the Villa meme.  Only four Villa games for me.

1st October1960 was the day I was infected. Effectively have lived 43 years abroad now to minimize symptoms. Currently in YCG for the last thirty-five. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

My bucket list item was getting to VP. I hesitate to say real Villa fans “have to” get there, because many may not have the means to do so. 

I will say that if you have the opportunity and financial ability to get to Villa Park, I highly, highly recommend doing so. It’s made my support of Villa feel so much more real.

Getting to Villa Park was very high on my bucket list, and I managed to achieve that in 2019.

Being so antipodean it wasn't easy, but well well worth it. It was a bit of a bummer that we lost 4 - 1 to Leicester though, but I was just very happy to be there.

I truly envy the "purebloods" that get to see Villa every week. 

I think the difference between plastics and fans like us is that a plastic will choose their club. For fans like you, me, and alot of others, Villa chose us.

• Like 2

• Criticise in game management
  • Demand all signings are over 6 foot tall
  • Find a scapegoat
  • Hound out a manager
  • Be terrified our best players will leave on the back of a good performance
  • Bonus: always remember to complain that every other team has more elite players than us 

😛

• Like 4

1) experience the fear of knowing your best players will br poached by a Manchester club for much less money that you would need to replace their impact. 

2) never say things like...."he deserves a chance to win something." Or "we had good times while he was here but he was always going to go eventually." When number 1 happens. 

3) loath anyone who says something like number 2, when number 1 happens. 

4) fail to get a pint at half time despite leaving your seat 10mins before half time. 

5) know deep in your bones that 2.0 up with 10mons to go is a fragole lead. 

6) travel with optimism despite all the above Home and away because you have for the last 30 years. Its the hope that kills you. 

7) travel to Wembley for intermittent, long spread out appearances knowing that man City or whatever sky6 club you happen to be playing will turn you over. Jowevrr badly they play, whilst also thinking 6. 

😎 stand in awe everytime you first catch the view of the back of the hole as you walk to the ground. Everytime. Despite going for 30 years. Everytime. 

Edited by tommytenjobs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Topic is what it says on the tin -- however you interpret that. I think I'll always be an outsider supporter because it just isn't possible for me to get to Villa Park very often, living overseas. That always strikes me as something "real Villa fans" would consider a starting place for any self-respecting Villa supporter. But I may be wrong about that. But what would be five things that, for you, distinguish the real Villa fan from not? Some kinds of things I envision but could be utter nonsense:

• Achieve a certain number of visits to Villa Park?
  • Get a Villa tattoo?
  • Own the home kit?
  • Buy a season ticketer?
  • Go to such and such  a pub?
  • Wrestle a Bluenose?
  • Learn at least four Villa songs by heart?
  • Be on Villa Talk at least 10 years.
  • etc etc

I know we don't get as many plastics as some clubs, so I reckon your lists of five things would be very different from other clubs or maybe alike in some ways, but what do I know? I want read about your notions, not mine.  

And by the way, never, EVER, wrestle a bluenose. Their short, dumpy, rotund physique (particularly the females) makes throwing manoeuvres impossible. Their extra digits gives them the advantage in the grapple. If you get into an altercation with one, just wave a bottle of shower gel around, they react like a vampire would to garlic.

• Haha 2

For me there are various things but wearing the colours when in a foreign land or different city and spreading the gospel is my favourite.

Been all over the world sometimes on my own and wearing a Villa top is always a conversation starter.

The colours the name it draws people.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This is an unusual suggestion for a “things to do before you die” list. You don’t have any control of it from the outset, so achieving it before you die is neither here nor there. You either accomplish that at birth or you don’t.

Baby comes out immediately thinking “Right, I reckon if we pushed McGinn into a more forward role…” then the baby opens it’s eyes and sees the dad with a “KRO” tattoo and thinks “Ah bollocks, I definitely can’t tick that one off Ragnos’ list…”

• Haha 1

As someone who has had the pleasure of going to Villa Park since the 60's, I have already been rather spoilt. I've seen us win almost everything and felt the delight of numerous wins, along with the pain of too many defeats. Despite having seen so many games at home and away, like Oliver Twist, I still want more. More wins, more cups, more European ventures and more good times. Of Marka's list, the only thing I haven't done and have no plans to do, is to get a tattoo. I have had some great times following the club with my family and friends. I hope those of you that are not as long in the tooth, have as many, if not more, before in the fullness of time, we all become HEITS. There is something about being a Villa fan, standing or sitting in that stadium, where so many have stood before us and cheering on our current team, in the same way that so many past teams have been supported. All of us that follow the club at home or further afield, are as MNVillan has said, "chosen to do so" and whatever our respective bucket lists, may or may not include, it will be a claret & blue bucket!;)   

Edited by John
  • Like 4

Â