Jhon Durán

PieFacE

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

True, but he needs match minutes and preferably as a starter, to develop him. That’s not going to be in a Villa team chasing top 4, so a loan makes perfect sense. Gives him time to grow up a little, too. The opportunity to do it for us will come if Emery thinks he’s earned it.

Don't disagree with that at all, my point was more around his attitude and the supposed falling out. 

Agree the minutes on load would help him grow up. 

• Like 1

I’d look for a loan for Durán next season, maybe at Vitoria in Portugal who we’re partnered with (and likely to have European competition too) but not this January as we’re highly unlikely to find a suitable replacement in this window.

I think he’s developing nicely but regular first team football would progress him more.

for the remainder of the season, Duran still has a big part to play and hopefully gets his chance in the FA Cup next weekend. 

It’d be a shame for us to see him leave on a permanent, but even more of a shame for him I think…

Obv it may all be rumours and gossip but Emery’s work with high level strikers speaks for itself 

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I’d look for a loan for Durán next season, maybe at Vitoria in Portugal who we’re partnered with (and likely to have European competition too) but not this January as we’re highly unlikely to find a suitable replacement in this window.

I think he’s developing nicely but regular first team football would progress him more.

for the remainder of the season, Duran still has a big part to play and hopefully gets his chance in the FA Cup next weekend. 

UEFA banned us doing business with Vitoria until January 2025

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MSvillain said:

It’d be a shame for us to see him leave on a permanent, but even more of a shame for him I think…

Obv it may all be rumours and gossip but Emery’s work with high level strikers speaks for itself 

Can't dismiss those rumours like Emery had fallen out with Martinez and wanted to sell him last January 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Duran being our back up striker is one of the main reasons I think we will finish 5th instead of 4th or even 3rd.

I wouldnt want him as a Championship side, never mind a PL club. Not at this stage anyway. He has shown nothing at all that makes me want to keep him as understudy to Ollie.

Nothing.

Not terrible as an inpact sub but if we ever have to start him, we sre in trouble.

EDIT: Said the same about Davis and Delfouneso and got laughed at so expect to again. Until he gets replaced and ends up back in the US or in the Championship or a midtable La Liga side and then people will conveniently forget they mocked someone for being right.

He’s literally scoring the most goals per 90 minutes in the entire league - it’s impossible to improve on that as a sub. 

I think he’s fantastic. A complete enigma who probably doesn’t know what he’s doing half of the time and brings guaranteed energy and challenge to any defence. 

Also it’s important to remember he is 6 months younger than Louie Barry and is dealing with a big international move etc etc. he’s obviously going to have some growing and adjustment pains and I’m sure that Emery and the club are giving him the right combination of support, encouragement and hard line messages to continue his development as we all want. 

Big call from Emery is needed as to whether he needs to keep him close by to ensure his development is on track - he’ll get plenty of game time - or whether a loan with all the dangers that could bring is the right solution.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Duran being our back up striker is one of the main reasons I think we will finish 5th instead of 4th or even 3rd.

I wouldnt want him as a Championship side, never mind a PL club. Not at this stage anyway. He has shown nothing at all that makes me want to keep him as understudy to Ollie.

Nothing.

Not terrible as an inpact sub but if we ever have to start him, we sre in trouble.

EDIT: Said the same about Davis and Delfouneso and got laughed at so expect to again. Until he gets replaced and ends up back in the US or in the Championship or a midtable La Liga side and then people will conveniently forget they mocked someone for being right.

Take it you missed the Crystal Palace game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

The latest media rants are Arsenal are struggling because they don't have a striker. I posted this several times last few months along with other top clubs not having decent striker see Spurs,  Manure, City bar Haaland. The point being loads of teams are not playing system that is striker reliant. We've been scoring goals not from Watkins see City and Arsenal game albeit he's been involved in build up. Emery rant recently "Who is this striker? Does he exist?" People can worry all they want about Watkins getting injured just like what happens to Liverpool if Salah gets injured or Son from Spurs and so on and so on...

I'm less worried about potential hypothetical injuries more than I ever have before because of Emery being able to come up with a plan better than many managers out there

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Nothing.

That's a really bad take for my money, Global. 

I also don't believe that you were 'laughed at' for saying that neither Davis nor Delfouneso would make the grade because neither of them really showed us much in the prem. Duran's goal against Palace alone was something to be impressed by. 

I take it that if Duran is a success, you'll be completely humble and admit you were completely wrong too?

• Like 3

Nothing.

Is it hard work carrying that chip around?

21 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

He got clipped, but it wasn't as significant as his rolling around made you believe. If you look at the highlights he must have rolled about 500m! I think that is what made the ref's mind up. Bit of a soft pen but definitely not a dive. 

It was absolutely 100% a dive

• Like 1

Nothing.

I wouldn't word it as harshly as you, but I do worry about a Watkins injury. 

Duran is not good enough yet to lead the line for us for a 4-6 game stretch. We'd miss Ollie immensely and I do worry that not having a reliable back up will haunt us if we are missing Ollie for a few weeks

If that happens hopefully Jhon can really step up

He’s already got us 10% of our points total through his contributions v palace and Burnley as well as good contributions in other games. He’s had a little wobble but seems to have come through that. 

He just needs to tone down the exuberance and the yellow cards because there’s not a defender in the league that will look forward to playing against him. 

If he stays at the club for the rest of the season then he’s definitely going to make some further key contributions. I just hope they’re all goals and there aren’t any red cards 😂

• Like 2

Â