Jhon Durán

PieFacE

14 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

OK well that's the point of a forum. Different opinions. I don't think he will go on to be one of the best strikers in the Prem and his stats to date don't support that he will either. Time will tell.

A goal every 0.53 mins at the age 18 you think is rubbish stats? What drugs are you on?

He's played 1364 mins. You clearly need to relook at the stats and do your maths. I wish you all the luck in the world 

Edited by messi11

49 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

The problem is, we are desperate for the finished article in order to get into the top half. Do you think the likes of Newcastle, Chelsea or Spurs will be buying such players? 

This signing worries me in so many ways. It just looks like we either have no money to compete, no desire to compete or that we are screwed with FFP. Whichever it is, it doesn't bode well.

Another way to look at it, if we can afford this much on a youth player, maybe we're very comfortable from an FFP perspective.  Also beat any of Man Utd, Liverpool or Benfica to his signature depending on which media outlet you believe.  Regardless of that, there's plenty of media hype around the player.

Maybe they don't think we need to spend 60m on a striker, but do need to spend close to that on a midfielder/winger.

Maybe the fact we have Ings on a huge salary means we would logically want to sell him (or watkins) before we can look to sign a more finished forward article. Can't have three first team strikers in a team that plays only 1.

Watkins is injured and looks better under Emery already. We can't spunk 60m on a new striker, it leaves us no room to negotiate on getting Ings/Watkins out the door which we'd have to do if we signed one.

• Like 2

He's only just turned nineteen, of course he doesn't look the finished article in his higlights, as an eighteen year old as he was during his spell at Chicago Fire, he's not expected to be the complete striker, he's going to look a little raw in certain aspects of his game, he's still a youngster developing, but it's impressive enough that he's been as good as he has been at his age,  if we had an eighteen year old forward from our academy on loan in the MLS doing what he's done we would be raving about the potential.

Initially I think he will come into the squad as Archer's replacement, a young forward to come off the bench.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, messi11 said:

A goal every 0.53 mins at the age 18 you think is rubbish stats? What drugs are you on?

He's played 1364 mins. You clearly need to relook at the stats and do your maths. I wish you all the luck in the world 

I'd  definitely want us to sign a striker with a hit rate of a goal every 0.53 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, useless said:

He's only just turned nineteen, of course he doesn't look the finished article in his higlights, as an eighteen year old as he was during his spell at Chicago Fire, he's not expected to be the complete striker, he's going to look a little raw in certain aspects of his game, he's still a youngster developing, but it's impressive enough that he's been as good as he has been at his age,  if we had an eighteen year old forward from our academy on loan in the MLS doing what he's done we would be raving about the potential.

Initially I think he will come into the squad as Archer's replacement, a young forward to come off the bench.

Agreed. And my concern is that we have spent millions effectively replacing Archer, when what we really need is a first 11 striker. That's all I am saying.

15 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Not being able to break down a League 2 team absolutely proves that we need another striker yes. I think it's clear we need one. Not a rookie with a 1 in 4 record ina terrible league, but a proper solid, proven striker. Maybe we will buy one. I hope we do.

Going out and signing a player after one game is a bit mad don’t you think? Something current Chelsea owner would do.

Goals haven’t been an issue under Emery. 

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Going out and signing a player after one game is a bit mad don’t you think? Something current Chelsea owner would do.

Goals haven’t been an issue under Emery. 

One game? I have thought we need an upgrade on Watkins since last season.

12 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

One game? I have thought we need an upgrade on Watkins since last season.

You keep moving the goalposts.

First you said Newcastle wouldn’t sign a young, raw player. They did (from a league even worse than the MLS).

Then you said, but Newcastle score more goals. They don’t (not since Emery came in).

Then you mentioned the only 4 games we didn’t outscore the opposition to try and prove a point (2 of which were against big 6 teams).

Would it be nice to get a top class striker? Yes.  Is it necessary to spend money just for the sake of it? No.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I mean, a goal every 0.53 minutes works out at 169 goals per game so not too shabby all things considered 

And we got him for £18 mil? Up yours City and Haaland!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Agreed. And my concern is that we have spent millions effectively replacing Archer, when what we really need is a first 11 striker. That's all I am saying.

well, im not saying one way or the other if Duran will come good, but.....

He isnt replacing Archer, they are totally different profiles of player.

Duran in theory is a fast, big guy who can lead the line or drive from wide, hold the ball up, run the channels, cause trouble for the opposition, bring our own players in to the game (if he develops well).

Archer is more of the little guy causing a nuisance of himself and being a bit of a fox in the box, or running on to through balls etc, a totally different type of player, he certainly isnt a hold up player, or someone who bullies opponents, or someone who carries the ball and can hold off players until our other forwards join the attack.

As i say, i dont know if Duran will end up being the player we want, but i can totally see why Emery might want a player in the "Duran" mold to lead the line, especially as we are a little lightweight up front physically.

I can see a Duran type player causing physical trouble up front, with players like Bailey, Buendia, or other players we might buy running off and around him.

heck, i wonder if we are hoping Duran will be a better, less injury prone version of Davis.....

17 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Depending on how you view Football Manager as a scouting tool, his stats on that look pretty good for a 19 year old.

For the bum rep it gets, the game has a bigger scouting network than any club. I guess you do get the odd chancer reporting data to them or developer manipulating code, but it's definitely as good an indicator as the average person will get.

A club will obviously scout the player in more detail if they're interested but it's not completely without merit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

well, im not saying one way or the other if Duran will come good, but.....

He isnt replacing Archer, they are totally different profiles of player.

Duran in theory is a fast, big guy who can lead the line or drive from wide, hold the ball up, run the channels, cause trouble for the opposition, bring our own players in to the game (if he develops well).

Archer is more of the little guy causing a nuisance of himself and being a bit of a fox in the box, or running on to through balls etc, a totally different type of player, he certainly isnt a hold up player, or someone who bullies opponents, or someone who carries the ball and can hold off players until our other forwards join the attack.

As i say, i dont know if Duran will end up being the player we want, but i can totally see why Emery might want a player in the "Duran" mold to lead the line, especially as we are a little lightweight up front physically.

I can see a Duran type player causing physical trouble up front, with players like Bailey, Buendia, or other players we might buy running off and around him.

heck, i wonder if we are hoping Duran will be a better, less injury prone version of Davis.....

Agreed. Maybe Duran is cover for Watkins and Archer will replace Ings when the time is right

37 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You keep moving the goalposts.

First you said Newcastle wouldn’t sign a young, raw player. They did (from a league even worse than the MLS).

Then you said, but Newcastle score more goals. They don’t (not since Emery came in).

Then you mentioned the only 4 games we didn’t outscore the opposition to try and prove a point (2 of which were against big 6 teams).

Would it be nice to get a top class striker? Yes.  Is it necessary to spend money just for the sake of it? No.

No I don't. Stop straw-manning me. I said Newcastle don't need to score more goals. And they don't. Mainly because they don't concede an they have Isak coming back from injury to add to Callum Wilson. Also, Watkins missed a hatful in those games I mentioned. Finally, it is not spending money for the sake of it if I believe we NEED a striker.

Let's leave it there.

Edited by GlobalVillan

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

For the bum rep it gets, the game has a bigger scouting network than any club. I guess you do get the odd chancer reporting data to them or developer manipulating code, but it's definitely as good an indicator as the average person will get.

A club will obviously scout the player in more detail if they're interested but it's not completely without merit.

Yeah I'd say it's a very reliable measure of a player's actual attributes, just extrapolating them to how a player develops from there or in a different league is the unknown and where good management comes into play.

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

The problem is, we are desperate for the finished article in order to get into the top half. Do you think the likes of Newcastle, Chelsea or Spurs will be buying such players? 

This signing worries me in so many ways. It just looks like we either have no money to compete, no desire to compete or that we are screwed with FFP. Whichever it is, it doesn't bode well.

I agree with this, i'm absolutely fuming we haven't signed Chris Wood or Aubameyang if i'm honest

• Haha 1

Â