Best Villa Debut?

Follyfoot

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sorry I meant home debut…technically I’m wrong as debut but sod it, it’s his Villa Park debut and that counts right? 😉 you’re trying to ruin my lovely memory 😭😉

I was there mate, it was a glorious day at VP! 

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Carlton Cole actually had a good debut, I knew it was a one-off as I'd seen loads of him before he joined us.

Yep. I came away from that game convinced we were going to win the league and they’d award Carlton Cole the ballon d’Or that season.   Sadly it wasn’t meant to be. 

• Haha 2

We've had some very good debut performances down the years, but Dublin probably just shades it for me.  Notables:  Petrov, Didier Six, Benteke, Nillis, Cole, Baros.  I also seem to recall Mervyn Day getting off to a brilliant start with us.  He'd replaced Spinksy, who had been in an awful run of form and pulled off some great saves.  Like Baros, Heskey and others though, he quickly faded. 

Another interesting thread would be worst home debuts:  Tommy Craig.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

Remembered he had a few good games to start off with, but typically for us, he was there at the wrong time learning his trade mainly from Richard Numpty Dunne and James Collins, shame he would have been so much more if he was looking up to Mellberg/Laursen.

I recall O'Neill signed Dunne, Collins and Warnock the same week and threw them all in together at Small Heath away.  

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I don't want to go full Roy Keane but I dont really get impressed by strikers scoring on debut unless it's a youth player

Fair point.  Even Heskey scored on his debut at Portsmouth! 😂

4 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

We've had some very good debut performances down the years, but Dublin probably just shades it for me.  Notables:  Petrov, Didier Six, Benteke, Nillis, Cole, Baros.  I also seem to recall Mervyn Day getting off to a brilliant start with us.  He'd replaced Spinksy, who had been in an awful run of form and pulled off some great saves.  Like Baros, Heskey and others though, he quickly faded. 

Another interesting thread would be worst home debuts:  Tommy Craig.

200 K from Newcastle, if I remember. Quite a lot of money in those days.

I'd love big Dion in his prime up front for us now. I remember seeing him play in person from near the touchline, and his strength was phenomenal. Great heading ability and could score in or out of the box with his feet. Great player.

• Like 2

Aleksander Tonev

His debut was against Norwich on 21 September 2013 - a game which we won 1-0 away....

... but no thanks to Tonev. In fact, his debut was utterly shocking. Any and every time he received the ball he shot - no matter the angle or the distance or players in a better position - and each ended with the same result: The ball in orbit.

So why was this the best debut? Because we weren't sure if he was any good or not as he'd only made a couple of sub appearances before this match but all doubt was removed after his debut. What a stinker.

Some of the responses are funny, read on for a couple of pages from about halfway down here:

• Like 1

Was thinking Alan Thompson at home to Middlesbrough scoring from a free kick (I was working in the kitchen in the North Stand and remember Peter Withe holding the door tonone of the hospitality suites as I went through loaded up with  dishes) - but apparently  his debut was at Everton the week before, so totally  irrelevant. But the Boro game was I think Paul Merson's last for them, and he was pretty decent - rare example of us signing a player seemingly because he played well against us doing well, and he scored on debut for us too.

11 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Aleksander Tonev

His debut was against Norwich on 21 September 2013 - a game which we won 1-0 away....

... but no thanks to Tonev. In fact, his debut was utterly shocking. Any and every time he received the ball he shot - no matter the angle or the distance or players in a better position - and each ended with the same result: The ball in orbit.

So why was this the best debut? Because we weren't sure if he was any good or not as he'd only made a couple of sub appearances before this match but all doubt was removed after his debut. What a stinker.

Some of the responses are funny, read on for a couple of pages from about halfway down here:

Mention of Kozak in that thread - seem to remember  him having a pretty decent first few games for us before injuries

20 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Remember being told we had beaten Sheff Weds and that  there was a brilliant 16 year old at cente back called Gareth Barry who was nailed on to be great for us. Anyone at the game  remember how he played?

I can’t remember the game or how he played but I went to his non-first team games he played before his debut and you could tell he was a star.  Many of us were very excited about him moving to the first team.  We didn’t think it would happen so quickly but seeing the progression from his initial days has always put him in one of my favourites Villa players.  It was great to see his Villa career and not to be disappointed as so many youngsters do that never fulfil what was thought was their potential.  I think there was no doubt he was going to be a star but it was nice to be proved right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I can’t remember the game or how he played but I went to his non-first team games he played before his debut and you could tell he was a star.  Many of us were very excited about him moving to the first team.  We didn’t think it would happen so quickly but seeing the progression from his initial days has always put him in one of my favourites Villa players.  It was great to see his Villa career and not to be disappointed as so many youngsters do that never fulfil what was thought was their potential.  I think there was no doubt he was going to be a star but it was nice to be proved right.

He’s probably my favourite Villa player. While I’m sad that he left the club the way he did, he was the best player in the best side we’ve had in the last 20 years imo.

• Like 2

Â