Mattéo Guendouzi

JayVTID

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We can't extrapolate what will happen in the rest of this season based on just these stretch of games.

Oh I agree, but I didn’t start along the extrapolation road. I’m not the biggest extrapolator around here. 😇

Edited by DaveAV1

like I said before, even if we sign nobody, I’m relaxed - write the season off and get the players we want in the summer.

obviously would be happier if we bought some, but not the end of the world for me.

In it for the long game for once.

• Like 2

Just now, Thug said:

like I said before, even if we sign nobody, I’m relaxed - write the season off and get the players we want in the summer.

obviously would be happier if we bought some, but not the end of the world for me.

It’s a shame to “write off the season” when we are so close to Europe with 18 games to go, with Liverpool and Chelsea on the wobble and Brighton, Fulham and Brentford we can match them.  I don’t think, even if we fail to sign anybody else, it will be a write off but I think it’ll be a missed opportunity to strengthen for the second half of the season to give us a better chance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s a shame to “write off the season” when we are so close to Europe with 18 games to go, with Liverpool and Chelsea on the wobble and Brighton, Fulham and Brentford we can match them.  I don’t think, even if we fail to sign anybody else, it will be a write off but I think it’ll be a missed opportunity to strengthen for the second half of the season to give us a better chance.

I can’t disagree with you, but I’m just looking at it in the longer term.  We need to get the players we want rather than panic buying.

I really hope we pull off a couple of deals before the deadline, but I want them to be prime targets.  We’ve been stuck with average players before, so no more of that please.  If we bring in players, they need to be better than what we let go, or just not bother.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Thug said:

Bizarre to write the season off when you look at the state of Liverpool and Chelsea.

So we have to wait until next season when both will probably start the season with 6 wins out of 7?

I do find it bizarre there seems to be this idea there is no inbetween in terms of player we can sign. They either have to be Kamara standard or not bother at all.

Two years back West Ham were starting to slip and they signed Lingard mid season. He'd barely played for 12 months yet came in and had a terrific impact and they finished comfortably 6th in the end. 

That sort of signing would be greeted with derision on here but that was a short term fix that got West Ham where they wanted to be.

I'm not buying there isn't a striker in europe who for four months could provide a decent alternative to Ollie and also play wide when needs be. I'd be happy with Dembele tbh. Would also help Duran settle in more especially as he is here for the long term. Currently he's going to be the saviour off the bench at VP if we're losing to Leicester with 20 minutes left so let's see if he's up to it.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But if we can't get first choice options, why settle for others just for the slim chance we might get European football this season. 

Its a long term plan.

But what makes us think we’ll get our first choices in the summer.

I doubt also it’s just one first choice per position, we’ll have a list of players because sometimes there are many reasons.  

Let’s just say Guendouzi was our first choice but either doesn’t want to come to us or will only come if we are in Europe, do we never get another midfielder.  

You have a couple of options that are the same level to choose from, plan your window and then have four weeks to get one of those players.  

Yes there are reasons why some deals still don’t come off but we are low on numbers with our releases, have barely touched the team and have a number of positions needing addressing.  

It can’t be that all those deals have failed, then you start to question the recruitment team.  

We still have a few days to go so not an issue at the moment but if we are in the same place after the window shuts then an issue.  Yes, we are in a long term plan, nobody is arguing with that.

• Like 1

Just now, Adman said:

If we can't get our preferred targets, surely two loans aren't out of the question?

As long as their not loans like Bednarek and Augustinson, if they don’t improve the team it’s pointless.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thug said:

I can’t disagree with you, but I’m just looking at it in the longer term.  We need to get the players we want rather than panic buying.

I really hope we pull off a couple of deals before the deadline, but I want them to be prime targets.  We’ve been stuck with average players before, so no more of that please.  If we bring in players, they need to be better than what we let go, or just not bother.

Nobody is saying panic buying, i just can’t believe we only pick one player for each specific target (or a poor 2nd target).  They will have a couple of options for each type of player they want in the group A, then second level…I’m not saying get a second level or like what we have.  Anyway it’s all academic because the club will do what they do.  I hope we see some business the next few days.

• Like 1

Just now, gwi1890 said:

As long as their not loans like Bednarek and Augustinson, if they don’t improve the team it’s pointless.

We all agree were short of cover up front.  To loan a backup and not need them is better than to not loan and need one (injury to Watkins) etc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But what makes us think we’ll get our first choices in the summer.

I doubt also it’s just one first choice per position, we’ll have a list of players because sometimes there are many reasons.  

Let’s just say Guendouzi was our first choice but either doesn’t want to come to us or will only come if we are in Europe, do we never get another midfielder.  

You have a couple of options that are the same level to choose from, plan your window and then have four weeks to get one of those players.  

Yes there are reasons why some deals still don’t come off but we are low on numbers with our releases, have barely touched the team and have a number of positions needing addressing.  

It can’t be that all those deals have failed, then you start to question the recruitment team.  

We still have a few days to go so not an issue at the moment but if we are in the same place after the window shuts then an issue.  Yes, we are in a long term plan, nobody is arguing with that.

The summer window is always easier to get players. It's longer and we'll have more options. 

There's absolutely no need to panic and sign people just for the sake of it if we think we can do better in the summer. 

If in the summer window we then don't make strong signings, then it becomes an issue.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But if we can't get first choice options, why settle for others just for the slim chance we might get European football this season. 

Its a long term plan.

Correcto, which makes the spanking of cash on quick fixes under Gerrard to "cheat" our way into Europe all the more galling.

1 minute ago, Adman said:

We all agree were short of cover up front.  To loan a backup and not need them is better than to not loan and need one (injury to Watkins) etc

Wonder what Borja Baston is up to?

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The summer window is always easier to get players. It's longer and we'll have more options. 

There's absolutely no need to panic and sign people just for the sake of it if we think we can do better in the summer. 

If in the summer window we then don't make strong signings, then it becomes an issue.

Whose panicking? I’m not, just see the opportunity we have now and we have a prime window to do some business in this four week period and if  by mid week nothing has happened then it is missed and disappointing.  There is no panic! I’m sure the next few days we’ll see at least one signing in, if not we move on but I’ll have a question about our recruitment team and I’m sure Emery will.  He’s already said he’s demanding every day in Lange’s office so I’m sure he’ll be disappointed if we go with what we’ve got but like the rest of us we go on. Is Guendouzi the only option on that list in the top category, he’s a fine player but not every player out there is not as good.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Whose panicking? I’m not, just see the opportunity we have now and we have a prime window to do some business in this four week period and if  by mid week nothing has happened then it is missed and disappointing.  There is no panic! I’m sure the next few days we’ll see at least one signing in, if not we move on but I’ll have a question about our recruitment team and I’m sure Emery will.  He’s already said he’s demanding every day in Lange’s office so I’m sure he’ll be disappointed if we go with what we’ve got but like the rest of us we go on.

I’m not sure I agree with all of what you’ve said, but you raise some interesting points for sure. 

I did find that story odd earlier in the window that Emery was looking to work with a new sporting director. That’s like me going into work tomorrow and telling my boss I don’t fancy working with him anymore and I’ll handpick his replacement?!

Ive no issue with not signing anyone in Jan, but Lange and Purslow do make me a little nervous. The whole Gerrard saga probably set us back 2/3 years. 

It’s going to be an interesting Summer for sure. I’m expecting a few outs and at least 4 new first team players if we’ve any real chance of keeping up with the pack. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not sure I agree with all of what you’ve said, but you raise some interesting points for sure. 

I did find that story odd earlier in the window that Emery was looking to work with a new sporting director. That’s like me going into work tomorrow and telling my boss I don’t fancy working with him anymore and I’ll handpick his replacement?!

Ive no issue with not signing anyone in Jan, but Lange and Purslow do make me a little nervous. The whole Gerrard saga probably set us back 2/3 years. 

It’s going to be an interesting Summer for sure. I’m expecting a few outs and at least 4 new first team players if we’ve any real chance of keeping up with the pack. 

I don’t think he works for Lange, I think Emery works for Purslow.  Unusual I know and never made clear but events at the time of his appointment and since suggests Lange isn’t his boss.  Even googling now you can see a number of media outlets say he works alongside Lange but for Purslow…just one example is the theAthletic below.  Given Emery has been trying to get a sporting director in, suggests this may actually be the case because as you say it’s crazy to think he’s openly trying to replace his boss.

Anyway that’s just an answer to that as that is off topic to this thread but I just wanted to reply to it.

The manager, Emery, works alongside the sporting director, Johan Lange, and they both feed into the CEO Christian Purslow, who is a minority investor in the club alongside Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens.

https://theathletic.com/4001387/2022/12/26/aston-villa-january-transfer-window-plans/

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Whose panicking? I’m not, just see the opportunity we have now and we have a prime window to do some business in this four week period and if  by mid week nothing has happened then it is missed and disappointing.  There is no panic! I’m sure the next few days we’ll see at least one signing in, if not we move on but I’ll have a question about our recruitment team and I’m sure Emery will.  He’s already said he’s demanding every day in Lange’s office so I’m sure he’ll be disappointed if we go with what we’ve got but like the rest of us we go on.

It is what it is...

But Momentum has to be capitalised on.

I will be disappointed, if we don't strengthen.....and see it as a missed opportunity, to move forward.

I am not, necessarily sold on the idea of the next window.....its always the next window......manana,manana.

I have no idea, what the procrastination is caused by.....but hopefully by Wednesday, it will all be unfounded.

• Like 3

Â