Mattéo Guendouzi

JayVTID

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Again, we've lost a lot of goals this window. Top 7 ppg by the end of the season is, unfortunately, a fantasy, and I'm happy to donate £50 if we retain a top 7 ppg by season end. It just won't happen without more up top.

Sure Emery is a great coach but the squad is weaker than it was, and you cannot expect better results than he's already had with a weaker squad. It's just logic.

Leicester won the league using 19 players all season. I’m sure we can cope with another 18 games. Obviously need a bit of a luck with injuries. 

Our squad is weaker in quantity. Not quality. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Think a lot of clubs might be hesitant to sell mid season and a lot of players will be hesitant to move mid season for various reasons. If players specifically doesn't want to move here then I guess it won't matter if it's January or in the summer.

Fair enough. But it seems as though it's the players turning us down not the clubs, and our targets will be the same in Summer as now, no? Our number 2, 3, 4 choice in the summer will have been our number 2,3,4 choice now. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It would make sense. Pulled off at half time is something that I don’t believe has happened to him this season before. (Apart from injury).

In before the Kenneth Williams gifs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Leicester won the league using 19 players all season. I’m sure we can cope with another 18 games. Obviously need a bit of a luck with injuries. 

Our squad is weaker in quantity. Not quality

That's not true though. We sold our top scorer.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It's half a season pretty much, and it's not just '18 games'—it's 18 games after the 20 games we've already played (but, to be fair, with a fairly good winter break).  And yer we sold Ings.

We've been lucky this season that Bailey hasn't got injured as we'd have nobody to play that role.

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Again, we've lost a lot of goals this window. Top 7 ppg by the end of the season is, unfortunately, a fantasy, and I'm happy to donate £50 if we retain a top 7 ppg by season end. It just won't happen without more up top.

Sure Emery is a great coach but the squad is weaker than it was, and you cannot expect better results than he's already had with a weaker squad. It's just logic.

So you think we aren't going to be in the top 7 in ppg since Emery took over? You believe suggesting this is "a fantasy". 

Who is suggesting we need or will get better results than he's already had? We are 2nd in ppg behind Arsenal since Emery took over. Second.

But suggesting top 7 in ppg is "a fantasy". Emery can probably average top 9 in ppg for rest of the season and we'll end up in the top 7 ppg under him. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

So you think we aren't going to be in the top 7 in ppg since Emery took over? You believe suggesting this is "a fantasy". 

Who is suggesting we need or will get better results than he's already had? We are 2nd in ppg behind Arsenal since Emery took over. Second.

But suggesting top 7 in ppg is "a fantasy". Emery can probably average top 9 in ppg for rest of the season and we'll end up in the top 7 ppg under him. 

Fair enough, well reasoned. Hope you don't think I'm being arsey here, just a friendly debate. 

Follow up question to your post above. Who is going to score us the goals to achieve the ppg?

I hope you are right, I really do, I just have some concerns about where our goals are coming from.

Asking Watkins to double his goal scoring rate is a massive stretch. Jhon has not played a minute of PL football and is 19, Bailey couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo now defences have sussed how one-footed he is. Coutinho has dropped sharply in level, Buendia is very much struggling at the moment. JJ is probably the most likely, but we can't be asking him to score all our goals. Dougie and Kamara are DMs. I just don’t see where our goals are consistently going to come from atm.

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s the kind of comment that sets us old farts off with, when we win the league……..🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Fair enough, well reasoned. Hope you don't think I'm being arsey here, just a friendly debate. 

Follow up question to your post above. Who is going to score us the goals to achieve the ppg?

I hope you are right, I really do, I just have some concerns about where our goals are coming from.

Asking Watkins to double his goal scoring rate is a massive stretch. Jhon has not played a minute of PL football and is 19, Bailey couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo now defences have sussed how one-footed he is. Coutinho has dropped sharply in level, Buendia is very much struggling at the moment. JJ is probably the most likely, but we can't be asking him to score all our goals. Dougie and Kamara are DMs. I just don’t see where our goals are consistently going to come from atm.

Watkins will score the goals he always does, his scoring rate to his xG is consitent, he's a 1 in 3 striker. He'll get double figures like he always does. Then we've Bailey, Buendia and Ramsey scoring too.

We're very defensively solid which is important. Ings only scored 4 non penalty goals. It's not the monumental loss people think it is. We also don't know how well Duran will do coming on instead of Ings. I also feel like there will at least be a loan signing to come in to help the attack. Ziyech for example had 0.51 xG+xA last season per 90 for Chelsea. A player like that being added along with the Moreno and Duran signings improves the team this window in attack. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Watkins will score the goals he always does, his scoring rate to his xG is consitent, he's a 1 in 3 striker. He'll get double figures like he always does. Then we've Bailey, Buendia and Ramsey scoring too.

We're very defensively solid which is important. Ings only scored 4 non penalty goals. It's not the monumental loss people think it is. We also don't know how well Duran will do coming on instead of Ings. I also feel like there will at least be a loan signing to come in to help the attack. Ziyech for example had 0.51 xG+xA last season per 90 for Chelsea. A player like that being added along with the Moreno and Duran signings improves the team this window in attack. 

Well if we make a signing yhen all bets are off, because that was the point.

All the above sounds a bit what if to me. Watkins may be a 1 in 3 striker but he's not been so far this season he's been more like 1 in 5. Maybe he becomes that, maybe he doesn't. If he does that's another 6 goals from him. Remember he's having to score not only his contribution, but Ings' as well. That was 7 in 20. Even as a 1:2 that won't pick up enough goals to replace him. Assume Watkins 1:2 and Jhon picks up 4 or 5, maybe. But we've never even seen him play.

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Well if we make a signing yhen all bets are off, because that was the point.

All the above sounds a bit what if to me. Watkins may be a 1 in 3 striker but he's not been so far this season he's been more like 1 in 5. Maybe he becomes that, maybe he doesn't. If he does that's another 6 goals from him. Remember he's having to score not only his contribution, but Ings' as well. That was 7 in 20. Even as a 1:2 that won't pick up enough goals to replace him. Assume Watkins 1:2 and Jhon picks up 4 or 5, maybe. But we've never even seen him play.

Football predictions of the future are all what if

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Football predictions of the future are all what if

OK, substitute that with 'unlikely'. How likely is it that all of our strikers and forward players improve to levels hitherto undemonstrated in their career to address the lack of goals. 

All that assumes the goal contributions of  everyone else in the team remains unchanged. 

And all of that still puts us mid table in terms of goal scored. Assume wizard Emery extracts more wins than expected from that goal tally, which he likely will. It follows that it will perhaps have us knocking on the door of top 10ppg. Expecting anything more with this squad imo is just a pipe dream. 

Â