Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

5 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Would be surprised if he does. I think an attacking full back on one side and a defensive one on the other is pretty much Emery's hallmark at this stage. I think the big signing this summer will be a right winger. Whoever plays at right back will be defensive minded as opposed to a right sided version of Moreno.

I was about to say that. It seems that it is one side or the other when going forward.....

I guess a better question is, does he want a full back with the same attributes on the right hand side?

So one goes forward the other tucks in? Personally I have no idea.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

I was about to say that. It seems that it is one side or the other when going forward.....

I guess a better question is, does he want a full back with the same attributes on the right hand side?

Not really. Would be good if they could to mix it up a bit maybe but generally it's attacking LB defensive RB

32 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Not really. Would be good if they could to mix it up a bit maybe but generally it's attacking LB defensive RB

Well this is my point, surely it will become too one dimensional if it is ALWAYS the left hand side as we specifically have chosen a defensive right back?

They can't both go forward under the system I understand that, but we could vary which of the two goes forward if they both had a similar skillset.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Would be surprised if he does. I think an attacking full back on one side and a defensive one on the other is pretty much Emery's hallmark at this stage. I think the big signing this summer will be a right winger. Whoever plays at right back will be defensive minded as opposed to a right sided version of Moreno.

I agree in the short term. In the long term, as other teams figure out our tactics, he may want the option to play differently.

5 hours ago, TomC said:

I agree in the short term. In the long term, as other teams figure out our tactics, he may want the option to play differently.

I don’t think it’s a case of clubs figuring out our tactics. All managers will know how we want to play.  Emery sets us up with 5 in the midfield so if they focus on defending the side our full back attacks it will leave more space for our right sided attacking player. A position where I think we will spend very big this summer. 

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

So given that he is one of our best attacking outlets do we think he will get doubled up on like Jack did? If I were about to play us, I would definitely try and target him.

Especially as virtually all of our width comes from him as our Ash can't really play as high up on the right side. 

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

So given that he is one of our best attacking outlets do we think he will get doubled up on like Jack did? If I were about to play us, I would definitely try and target him.

Maybe, but if someone tries to double mark our left back there will be a lot of room somewhere else.

Him arriving from deep is crucial to how effective he is. Plus his super positive, aggressive running.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

but that leaves others free...and when you have collective commitment, it poses a problem for the opposition.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did anybody see Sky sport social? I caught the end and they had a team of season excluding Arsenal and City and it looked like a Villa player at left back.  Or was it somebody else ?

It was him

• Thanks 1

On 18/04/2023 at 23:24, paul514 said:

I don’t think so. The second striker acts as the width on the right and Moreno bombs on to add the width on the left. This allows the right midfielder to play a little more centrally and the right back to form a 3 man defensive unit so we don’t get done on transition. 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2023 at 16:42, WallisFrizz said:

Difficult to double up on full backs though isn’t it, as they’re constantly marauding up and down the wing, that’s probably why they have become so important in the modern game. Can certainly see teams dropping deeper on that side though but as others have said it’s for us to come up with ways to tactically outwit the opponents in other areas of the pitch instead 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Difficult to double up on full backs though isn’t it, as they’re constantly marauding up and down the wing, that’s probably why they have become so important in the modern game. Can certainly see teams dropping deeper on that side though but as others have said it’s for us to come up with ways to tactically outwit the opponents in other areas of the pitch instead 

yep doubling up would leave a ridiculous amount of space then for Ramsey to run into on the left. Would take a brave kamikaze manager to do that

Pity we arent playing Chelsea soon 😛 

Â