VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

Sad news about Bobby Charlton.

It’s a bit subjective but from the “classic football greats” from the sixties…is it just* Franz Beckenbauer left? After that are we into footballers who were mostly playing in the seventies?

*With apologies to Geoff Hurst.

• Like 1

I'm too young to have ever watched him play live, but from the way he's so revered and footage of him I have seen, I think we may have just lost the greatest English player we've seen.

True great, and football grows more soulless for every legend like him we lose.

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I hate to praise ManUre, but that Charlton/Best/Law team really was something else. And I saw Villa beat them in 1970. 

So did I. That semi Final under floodlights is still the most  exciting game I’ve ever experienced 

• Like 4

The word legend is overused nowadays, but Sir Bobby was definitely worthy of such a title. 

RIP. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, meregreen said:

So did I. That semi Final under floodlights is still the most  exciting game I’ve ever experienced 

It was incredible. Goals from Pat McMahon and Andy Lochhead, iirc. 

• Like 2

Charlton's tears was one of the most poignant moments in English football history.

He always said that his emotion arose from the criticism which followed England's defeat 3-6 by Hungary in 1953, but I suspect that he must have had other thoughts about those who died in the Munich air disaster, only eight years earlier, which he must have felt incredibly blessed to survive.

A fabulous player and the very definition of 'ambassador of the game'.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

First thing I thought was “I wonder who had him in the VT Deadpool”

I’m a bad person.👎

I used put him in the Deadpool thread every year. Didn’t do it this year

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I hate to praise ManUre, but that Charlton/Best/Law team really was something else. And I saw Villa beat them in 1970. 

Was that when Brian Kidd knocked the ball down with his hand to score and the Ref('natch) gave nothing ? 

40 minutes ago, veloman said:

Was that when Brian Kidd knocked the ball down with his hand to score and the Ref('natch) gave nothing ? 

That's the one. Some things never change.