Christmas Dinner

sidcow

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

image.jpeg.b08d0b11e0258758389ccbf100613a71.jpeg

brought myself one of these little beauties for Christmas carvings as well. Will probably end up taking a few fingers off.

Wrap them up in bacon, serve them to the in-laws. 

Edited by TreeVillan
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Yep, I much prefer them undercooked if anything. I had some at a carvery and they were balls of vile mush.

Seriously, try steaming them in a microwave, the texture and taste is so much better. No mush or vile taste and so much easier on the washing up too

You can even buy a bag of prepared sprouts in M&S that you just stick a hole in the bag and bung 'em in the microwave and job done

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The best thing you can do for Christmas dinner is move away from Turkey.

And I don't mean as a veggie. Even if you eat meat, remove the shackles of having to have the shittest of all the meats and move to something that actually tastes nice

A beef Wellington has been our go to for the past couple of years, however we do grab a turkey crown for sarnies and Boxing Day buffet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Has to be lunch. So in about 3 hours you can then have a mound of turkey sandwiches and other associated crap. Followed by cheese, chocolates and liqueurs. And then a food coma.

Do you participate in a prawn ring?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

Seriously, try steaming them in a microwave, the texture and taste is so much better. No mush or vile taste and so much easier on the washing up too

You can even buy a bag of prepared sprouts in M&S that you just stick a hole in the bag and bung 'em in the microwave and job done

It’s a good method, I do the same with things like mange tout and tenderstem broccoli, much better than boiling water. Will try with sprouts when the missus is out, I wouldn’t want to interfere with her work. 

• Like 1

Sprouts, definitely feel like I've been Stockholm syndromed over decades to conclude that I like them. About 4 or 5 years ago after tolerating them as a tradition, I decided to start thinking I liked them. Anytime I try and step back from that thought process and focus on the taste it doesn't make sense, yet now when people ask this question, it appears that I like them and must have at least 6 or 7. Still drown them in sauce or gravy mind.

My wife is a Yorkshire pud addict and will insist on that being part of proceedings too. Doesn't sit right with me, but still, I eat the bustards with relish.

Edited by Rodders

15 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Sprouts, definitely feel like I've been Stockholm syndromed over decades to conclude that I like them. About 4 or 5 years ago after tolerating them as a tradition, I decided to start thinking I liked them.

He gazed up at the enormous cruciferae. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of flavour was hidden beneath the dark leaves. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved sprouts.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Always cook a Turkey crown and Beef joint for the Christmas lunch, which I then take to the in-laws. The in-laws do all the veg and trimmings. Usually get two little pigs on the plate.

I actually prefer to have sausage meat on the plate, so I cook that and have a couple of slices.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

So what is the minimum acceptance number of Pigs in Blankets and other musings. 

I'll kick off with I don't want any cranberry sauce near my dinner. 

100% agree on cranberry being nowhere near my plate...and i'll add bread sauce to that too.

normally start with 3/4 pigs in blanket on the plate, but then graze on them once we've finished. so at least 7 or 8 for me i reckon

Â