Christmas Dinner

sidcow

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah the type of fat doesn't bother me or give me that different results

I am however a believer in part boiling them and give them a bash (kw) in the colander to rough them up a bit and change the surface to get more crisp

textbook 

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I am however a believer in part boiling them and give them a bash (kw) in the colander to rough them up a bit and change the surface to get more crisp

Yes. I concur on all points. I'd further add: don't use fully round (uncut) potatoes. There should always be a round side and a flat side. The edges are where the crispness happens. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes. I concur on all points. I'd further add: don't use fully round (uncut) potatoes. There should always be a round side and a flat side. The edges are where the crispness happens. 

I do that purely out of the belief that they cook quicker when I cut them in to smaller pieces (not too small...) but yeah it makes sense

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

I might have asked this last year, but is a massive Christmas ham (with mustard and a bit of bread underneath to carry the load) just a nordic thing?

skinka1.jpg

Traditionally it's more of a Boxing Day thing (Day after Xmas). Supermarkets do sell much larger roast ham joints than they normally do at this time of year as a result. (At twice the price or more!)

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Parboiling! We can't let our standards slip.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Cost of living crisis.  Everything is going up - it's all pretty scary.

But for the LOVE OF GOD,  places only providing ONE pig in blanket with the Christmas dinner!

It's gone too far.  Too far.  Time for a proper rebellion.

that-wasnt-very-christmassy-peep-show.gi

THIS is a xmas dinner:

65A0AF70-9425-4D40-983D-82C15DEB235F.jpeg

Got served this at a work thing a couple of weeks ago. The meat is pork ribs. Now, this plate is not perfect. Needs more gravy, for one thing. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

Â