World Cup: Matches

Genie

Most interesting thing for today's game is how many Iran players won't sign the anthem. Get the feeling there's some in their leadership hoping they won't score either as they'll be big repercussions if they make a political statement in celebration on world stage.

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

You say that, and yet it genuinely is a surprise that that waistcoat rocket polisher didn't pick him anyway. 

I don't think he understands or truly appreciates Grealish's game. I think the "he needs to move" stuff was just a convenient excuse not to pick him and it's proving to be just that.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Euro 96 wasn't.

There is so much legitimate Qatar bashing to do but this is a bit odd when many prem grounds would be half empty with 10 minutes left if home team were 2-3 down. Us v Spurs last season a prime example.

The opening game of your own World Cup is a little bit different to some random Prem game :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Alex Scott is wearing the One Love arm band 

She is almost the perfect hate figure for the Qatar regime. Good on her. 

Still wish she'd have some elocution lessons, though. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

It got him in the squad regardless of form. He wouldn’t be there if he was still at Villa, playing like he is for City.

To be fair, I don't think he would be playing as "bad" as he is for City as he would be if he was still here

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Most interesting thing for today's game is how many Iran players won't sign the anthem. Get the feeling there's some in their leadership hoping they won't score either as they'll be big repercussions if they make a political statement in celebration on world stage.

Saw some Iranians in London interviewed on Al Jazeera. They're not supporting the team because the team aren't supporting the people. The players are in a tight spot.