World Cup: Matches

Genie

Ok so potential corruption aside, and giving the benefit of the doubt for a second, I’m still struggling to see how that was offside. When the ball was played he was a mile on. When he received the ball he was offside according to that graphic but I don’t get why that’s the moment they’ve chosen? Have I totally missed another touch from another Ecuador player between him and the goalie? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Woah, has the offside rule changed?

Edit: I guess it wasn't the ball in that was the cause of the offside, it was wehn the ball was headed upwards and the player's leg was just ahead of the defender.

I’m really confused about this, why is the player playing the ball shown as offside?

Edit: I see it now, although very ambiguous 

Edited by Genie

Just now, Spoony said:

Ok so potential corruption aside, and giving the benefit of the doubt for a second, I’m still struggling to see how that was offside. When the ball was played he was a mile on. When he received the ball he was offside according to that graphic but I don’t get why that’s the moment they’ve chosen? Have I totally missed another touch from another Ecuador player between him and the goalie? 

I'm wondering if it wasn't the ball in from the free kick. The moment that is freeze framed is when the ball is headed upwards and that is when his leg was offside. Perhaps.

Even with this explained, I get that the extended foot may have been beyond the nearest Qatar defender, but was it really beyond the keeper? It looks pretty level with the keeper to me. I'm guessing the keeper wasn't the second-to-last player and that the geometry of the situation isn't clear from this picture. 

4 hours ago, messi11 said:

Put my life saving on Qatar. No way do they lose this match. They've bribed everyone. Easy money.

Can anyone borrow me any money please?

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

This game has gone downhill fast. 

Ecuador have declared. They know they are far superior to Qatar, take the points and conserve themselves for the days ahead.   If another goal comes then it comes and they’ve got another gear to go into in the unlikely event Qatar do score.  It’s the classic professional away performance.  

• Like 1