World Cup: Matches

Genie

Just now, Genie said:

England looking far less flashy against an organised side

And the pressing is the US… it’s not going to be like playing Iran again. They’re well drilled and energetic. I think England will win but doubt we’ll score until the second half

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m not quite sure what you mean by this so sorry if I take it the wrong way, but if you’re having a go at me for basing my view of our country’s support on the knobs on twitter then I’d usually agree that it’s not representative and an echo chamber for knobheads, however in England’s case it IS pretty representative of what our fans are like now. You don’t have to look much further than the numerous examples of how we acted during the Euros. We really are the pits and it’s completely embarrassing. Constantly referring to wars, mocking crying children, booing anthems, tearing up places and generally just being aggressive drunken scum. I hate being associated with it. We have a team to be pretty proud of but rather than watching football our fans have to cause carnage and abuse everyone. Even if it’s a minority it’s a very large, very loud and very active minority. 

Far from it, I agree. Nothing irritates me more than moronic jingoism. 

I do like the tension that comes with us playing Germany or Argentina but strictly in a football sense, I know there's a history that produces that tension, but you can embrace that competitive edge without resorting to bigoted chanting. 

• Like 2