Who in your opinion is the GOAT?

leighavfc

2 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Messi. 

You can't really compare era's but modern day, they play a hell of a lot more football and to constantly do what he's done is unreal really. 

Plus, the goals he has scored are just perfection at times. Gliding past 5 or 6 players before finishing it, it's just a joy to watch. 

Besides the obvious candidates, there is 1 player I'd pay money to have watched alone - Xavi. He was brilliant. 

Xavi was absolute class.  Saw him play twice in the flesh.  He was absolutely superb.  Never got the limelight in those Spain/Barcelona teams, but was the actual reason why they were so dominant. 

• Like 2

Wasn't around to witness Maradona/Pele, but I reckon the modern game is a lot more demanding than the past.  Players fitness and diets etc are just so well managed that to really stand out at an elite level is more remarkable now than it ever has been before.

Messi is the greatest player I've ever seen and it's not really that close in terms what of what he can actually do on a football pitch.  Ronaldo is an ambassador for physical conditioning and his goalscoring at Real Madrid was utterly insane, but he's just not as good at football as Messi - no-one is.  Zidane or Ronaldinho probably the closest to it IMO.

Not that he should be in the overall conversation, but Rivaldo at Barcelona was utterly insane as well.  Just a small shout out.

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Wasn't around to witness Maradona/Pele, but I reckon the modern game is a lot more demanding than the past.  Players fitness and diets etc are just so well managed that to really stand out at an elite level is more remarkable now than it ever has been before.

Messi is the greatest player I've ever seen and it's not really that close in terms what of what he can actually do on a football pitch.  Ronaldo is an ambassador for physical conditioning and his goalscoring at Real Madrid was utterly insane, but he's just not as good at football as Messi - no-one is.  Zidane or Ronaldinho probably the closest to it IMO.

Not that he should be in the overall conversation, but Rivaldo at Barcelona was utterly insane as well.  Just a small shout out.

It's interesting as I feel Ronaldo would be world class anywhere on the pitch, CB etc whereas Messi wouldn't. 

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's interesting as I feel Ronaldo would be world class anywhere on the pitch, CB etc whereas Messi wouldn't. 

im the opposite 

he couldnt do CB because of his height obviously but if Barca didnt have iniesta or xavi so put him in that central midfield role he would be every bit as good a central midfielder as them 2

ronaldo doesnt have anywhere near the passing range or vision, not even close

I wouldn't disregard CR7 that quickly. I feel like he and an example of a player who wasn't as naturally gifted as Messi, Maradona or Brazilian Ronaldo. On the other hand, he really worked hard to be where he is. He prepared his body to 100% and if the was a vote for the greatest footballing athlete, he would be up there.

He made up some of his natural shortfallings through excellent preparation, second to none. 

But I would vote Zidane for GOAT. 

I think if we look at career longevity and overall achievements, it has to be Messi/Cristiano Ronaldo, and you can take your pick from those two really.

If we’re talking ability at their prime (eg over a 2 or 3 year period) then it opens up a lot more players.

Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldo 9 and Ronaldinho were mesmerising at their peaks. I think there’s a good argument for Ronaldo 9 being the most complete attacking player ever.

Also there’s a bias towards attacking players whenever people do these GOAT lists.

Players like Beckenbauer, Matthaus, Gullit, Rijkaard, Sergio Ramos, Busquets, etc don’t really get enough credit for the enormous value they brought to any side in their primes.

Edited by KentVillan

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think if we look at career longevity and overall achievements, it has to be Messi/Cristiano Ronaldo, and you can take your pick from those two really.

If we’re talking ability at their prime (eg over a 2 or 3 year period) then it opens up a lot more players.

Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldo 9 and Ronaldinho were mesmerising at their peaks. I think there’s a good argument for Ronaldo 9 being the most complete attacking player ever.

Also there’s a bias towards attacking players whenever people do these GOAT lists.

Players like Beckenbauer, Matthaus, Gullit, Rijkaard, Sergio Ramos, Busquets, etc don’t really get enough credit for the enormous value they brought to any side in their primes.

I'll throw another name in to that bevause he never gets the recognition he deserves - Gerd Muller - he's not the Goat, from what I can tell he was a ferocious scrappy fox in the box but his goal scoring exploits are pretty insane

398 goals in 453 games for bayern

68 goals in 62 games for germany

I genuinely don't know the answer to this but is he probably the only player to score in a world cup, euros and European Cup final? Funny how things like "messi isn't the goat unless he wins the world cup" is thrown out (and is bollocks) and this guy won the lot

Also his bundesliga scoring record stood for 40 years before Lewandowski broke it

• Like 1

What your average football fan often neglects about Messi is that, besides being one of the top goalscorers in history, he is actually top for all-time number of assists. By some distance.

Player Team (current) Assists
Lionel Messi Paris Saint-Germain 377
Thomas Muller Bayern Munich 292
Luis Suarez Atletico Madrid 283
Angel di Maria Juventus 272
Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United 265

So yeah it's clearly Messi. I'm surprised Ronaldo has provided so many - didn't realise that about him - but I still agree with people who find him boring. Even just for variety and ingenuity of goals scored, Lewandowski is more glorious to watch.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, bobzy said:

Of course the other side of that is we now live in the era of the Superclub where players like Messi will be backed by 10 world class team mates with another 5 on the bench and, for the most part, be up against opposition significantly weaker than they are.  We get to see incredible things but they are facilitated by mismatches and that's why we end up with certain clubs just dominating leagues (Bayern 10 in a row, Juve 9 in a row,  PSG winning 8 in 10, the Barcelona/Real Madrid duopoly) as the game has gone global. Players scoring 35-40 goals a season is a relatively common thing.   It never used to be like that which is why the concept behind "of all time" just doesn't work in a game which changes as much as football.   In the current era, I don't think anybody can sensibly say that Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo don't deserve to sit at the same table as guys like Pele, Maradona or Zidane but I just can't see how you can make a straight comparison.   What Maradona did in Italy was truly incredible but we will never see a player of his stature move to a middle ranking club and drag them to a couple of league titles (in arguably the most competitive league the world has ever seen) ever again.  The finances of the game just don't work like that any more.  

One thing I will say about a guy who had the bulk of his career before my time is that Johan Cruyff is probably the single most important figure in football.  He was absolutely the best player in the world during his prime years, a guy so good that he's a legendary figure at two of the biggest clubs in Europe and you could make the argument that to this very day that Barcelona are a club whose ethos and playing identity are based on the values and ideas championed by Cruyff.  His influence on the game is almost certainly beyond compare. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Of course the other side of that is we now live in the era of the Superclub where players like Messi will be backed by 10 world class team mates with another 5 on the bench and, for the most part, be up against opposition significantly weaker than they are.  We get to see incredible things but they are facilitated by mismatches and that's why we end up with certain clubs just dominating leagues (Bayern 10 in a row, Juve 9 in a row,  PSG winning 8 in 10, the Barcelona/Real Madrid duopoly) as the game has gone global. Players scoring 35-40 goals a season is a relatively common thing.   It never used to be like that which is why the concept behind "of all time" just doesn't work in a game which changes as much as football.   In the current era, I don't think anybody can sensibly say that Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo don't deserve to sit at the same table as guys like Pele, Maradona or Zidane but I just can't see how you can make a straight comparison.   What Maradona did in Italy was truly incredible but we will never see a player of his stature move to a middle ranking club and drag them to a couple of league titles (in arguably the most competitive league the world has ever seen) ever again.  The finances of the game just don't work like that any more.  

One thing I will say about a guy who had the bulk of his career before my time is that Johan Cruyff is probably the single most important figure in football.  He was absolutely the best player in the world during his prime years, a guy so good that he's a legendary figure at two of the biggest clubs in Europe and you could make the argument that to this very day that Barcelona are a club whose ethos and playing identity are based on the values and ideas championed by Cruyff.  His influence on the game is almost certainly beyond compare. 

Could argue that Kante pretty much did a Maradona at Leicester. Especially as he’s gone on to win another league title, Champions League and World Cup.

It takes time to really appreciate the greatness of players.

Also, I’d say players from the big nations tend to be slightly overrated and those from weaker nations underrated because of lack of World Cup action.

Best, Dalglish, Hagi, Litmanen, Keane, Giggs, Bale, Ibrahimovic, now Haaland would likely all have international honours if they were French or Brazilian. Maybe chuck Luis Suarez into that mix as well.

Â