Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Feel reasonably confident he will get us over the line for CL  next season. Probably not Conference final if Rogers is badly injured. What an incredible achievement that would be.

If he’s fit, Zaniolo will be a good replacement for Rogers… he was doing well and brings something different.

Having Martinez and Tielemans back will be massive too. A few days rest for the others should do some good too…

• Like 2

On 02/05/2024 at 22:40, MaVilla said:

tbh it just shows how far we have come, so fast, but also how far we have to go.

Emery has wrung the neck out of this team and had them performing above their level, i guess at times, like other times in the season, their limitations show, especially with all the injuries, players not playing in their ideal positions etc.

Its a miracle what Emery has done here, and im honestly surprised the team has sustained the level of performance they have for the last 18 months.

Will be interesting to see who Emery brings in, in the summer, to strengthen.

Me too.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Something tells me that if we weren't 4th or don't finish 4th that won't be considered working miracles, it will very much be a stick to beat him with 

People still have this dream of playing the kids because of the United squads but rarely do you see any of the youth, who aren't absolute stars, playing in any of the UCL contender clubs.

Unai picked up on Rogers and started him right away to great impact. That Tim, who he has seen much more of, can't get any game time is not an indictment of playing him but an indictment of Unai's assessment of his potential.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Something tells me that if we weren't 4th or don't finish 4th that won't be considered working miracles, it will very much be a stick to beat him with 

I think he has worked a miracle....more because I don't believe in the balance of this squad, to have done what he has, is phenomenal. I now wait with baited breath, to see if we sign players to strengthen us....not just supply numbers.

During this season, I have seen some outrageously good games, and I have seen some very unconvincing ones too....Unai often talks about consistency as his target, and I get that....but where he has taken us to, I was not expecting.

I think it would be absurd to criticise him, for anything this season.....but some games, have been well below par, and when we go OTT on the good games, it makes the bad ones sour, and the comments selective.

Of course it's great to celebrate the double over Arsenal......but some of the home defeats, like Spurs and Chelsea in the cup, have been questionable......and I don't always see an appetite for a debate, as to why.

We can all talk tactics and our manager, is one of the best, but form is up and down, with players, quite separate from energy levels.....and the better ones hold on to it better.

I have watched every home game this season, Live...and all of the away games on the TV.......but despite the great games, I have also seen some games, where there is obvious room for improvement.....even to achieve what we have this season.

It is likely, Newcastle, Man U and Chelsea, will be a force, next season, so to stand still, we have to improve the strength of the team,and I don't mean, just cover for first teamers, I mean bringing players with weapons to improve our overall game....i.e players who can score from set pieces, players who can run for fun and show urgency.....we need to add attributes to our squad, to give UE proper options, to change games.

Its gone a bit sour, right now and I hope we can find something, to save us fizzing out.

but Finally, Unai, has changed the perception of Aston Villa, for the good.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 05/05/2024 at 16:08, sidcow said:

I'm sorry. Unai is not immune to criticism. 

He's got to understand that this squad of first team players is mentally and physically exhausted.  Injuries have ravaged us. He HAS to start playing some kids, even if they're less experienced and not of the same quality, you can't keep playing these first steamers relentlessly. 

And he's got to make subs earlier when we're clearly struggling. 

Hopefully we've still done enough to get the job done but we're playing with fire right now.

I’m fascinated by the tendency of some fans to regard Emery ask some sort of trainee manager who could do with a bit of coaching on how to run a team. Just pop over to Wikipedia and have a look at what he has achieved in his career.

And then reflect on the fact that we are fourth in the premier league with a squad not massively enhanced from the one that struggled to avoid being in the relegation zone for periods in the last two seasons. And one that has had a high level of long term injuries this season.

You know what? I think he probably knows the capabilities of his squad a bit better than any fan does.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rooster85 said:

5th best manager in the world right now according to FourFourTwo

Who the hell is better??

Well after Gerrard of course…

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Who the hell is better??

Well after Gerrard of course…

According to them, 1. Guardiola. 2. Klopp. 3. Xabi Alonso. 4. Ancelotti. 5. Unai.

You can argue the order, but they're all in the discussion, clearly.

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I’m fascinated by the tendency of some fans to regard Emery ask some sort of trainee manager who could do with a bit of coaching on how to run a team. Just pop over to Wikipedia and have a look at what he has achieved in his career.

And then reflect on the fact that we are fourth in the premier league with a squad not massively enhanced from the one that struggled to avoid being in the relegation zone for periods in the last two seasons. And one that has had a high level of long term injuries this season.

You know what? I think he probably knows the capabilities of his squad a bit better than any fan does.

Ah. OK, I was wrong. 

It seems he is immune from criticism. 

If Unai manages to get us through on Thursday night, it will be one of his and our greatest achievements I think.  I love the fact that he continues to speak positively and refuses to whinge.  

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

whats emery's record like in europe trailing going into the 2nd leg?

Had a quick look, has certainly overturned 2 and even a 3 goal deficit before I think but always bringing it home the second leg, never managed it away second leg after losing at home.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I agree.

But that does not exclude, fans from having an opinion.....and that opinion, could be non populist.

Personally, I am not of the opinion, he can save us, from every poor performance, and I am not of the opinion, when it happens, it's always his fault.

I think he is the best, we could possibly get......but quite apart from the energy sapping campaign, and the testing time of the injury list, not to mention, some unconvincing officiating.....We are WIP

I think the WIP element has nearly as much credence as our lack of energy.

I am not blaming UE for anything, but its clear to me we need strengthening, despite his monumental effort, to get us to where we are.

Some will say, how can we do better, than 4th, next season in view of where we have come from , in such a short time,....and under performing teams, preparing for a better season.

so what am I looking for next season?.....(UE talks constantly about consistency, the second half of the season in particular, has highlighted his view) to be more convincing and not be so easy to beat in certain games. I am looking to maintain our scoring record and reduce our goals against to a level that has us, difficult to play against. That might not have us finishing any higher, but more convincing will have us stronger.

UE is adamant, that he is not engaging in excuses, despite a fairly reasonable need to.....I like that style.

He knows we are WIP, and I am looking forward to the new recruits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Had a quick look, has certainly overturned 2 and even a 3 goal deficit before I think but always bringing it home the second leg, never managed it away second leg after losing at home.

It's fine, he's been breaking records like a taking candy from a kid since here. Believe.

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Not that it matters but didn’t his Seville team come back from a 2-0 1st leg loss vs Betis in the Europa league?

Might be wrong though! 

• Like 2

Â