Unai Emery

PeterSw

I don’t think it is overthinking at all from Emery’s side, he is just running out of options to change things and there are too many times where we are  putting square pegs in round holes, or in some cases ran out of pegs completely. 

The plan is as working, but when Tielemans got injured he had two options, Diaby who is much more attacking, and Tim who is much more defensive. Whichever one he picked was going to change the game plan significantly.

Kamara/Ramsey/Buendia/Zaniolo  all would have been better in that scenario I think.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Been dealing with a injury ravaged season all season.

Chelsea close to a fully fit team.

Players look tired and it's understandable

Chelsea had 12 injuries tonight?

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I don't think Chelsea fans would agree 🤣

image.png.5953d46e785dda8ddd59ac20c8c68381.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think he set us up to play on the break, just as he did against Spurs. I can understand why he did it in these games, but when it doesn’t work he leaves himself open to the accusation of being too defensive / meek / passive.

Just watched his interview on TNT - don’t think I’ve ever seen him that angry! 
Assuming he’s expressed this to the players!

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

This, not sure what people expect tbh , anyone that know our injuries and then watch 2 of our best players go off injured and expect us to perform at our best. A point was a great result for us in the end, disappointing but hard won. Emery made subs at the right time and set us up as strong as he could with the players he had available. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Their squad is huge and ours injuries are first team players.

Edited by tinker
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Some context here..

Sterling was shite before his injury. Chillwell only player on there that improves them imo

Also shows how ridiculously deep their squad is 

8 minutes ago, villanmac said:

We aren't able to though. We massively struggle against pace and physicality which those two teams have in abundance. In those games we've rarely looked like winning man for man battles.

This is it for me.. Just back from the game and what is abundantly clear is quick physical teams can take us apart too easily. Newcastle, Spuds, Chelsea. We were very lucky to get anything out of that game tonight. Absolutely atrocious performance just getting bullied all over the park. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Some context here..

Sterling was shite before his injury. Chillwell only player on there that improves them imo

Also shows how ridiculously deep their squad is 

Nkunku would be the best attacking option if he ever got fit, him and Palmer has potential to be extremely good.  Gusto has been their best defender in past month I heard from their fans as well. Sanchez is a much better keeper than this Petrovic guy, Rogers goal was saveable for good keeper imo.  Enzo is world class but Gallagher and Caicedo run the midfield today even without him lol 

Edited by Alakagom
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Nkunku would be the best attacking option if he ever got fit, him and Palmer has potential to be extremely good.  Gusto has been their best defender in past month I heard from their fans as well. Sanchez is a much better keeper than this Petrovic guy, Rogers goal was saveable for good keeper imo.  Enzo is world class but Gallagher and Caicedo run the midfield today even without him lol 

Wrong forum ...mate.

29 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

This is it for me.. Just back from the game and what is abundantly clear is quick physical teams can take us apart too easily. Newcastle, Spuds, Chelsea. We were very lucky to get anything out of that game tonight. Absolutely atrocious performance just getting bullied all over the park. 

Yes all the teams that have outplayed us are very similar in types of personnel. 

The way Unai sets us up to play leaves us on lots of 1v1s all over the pitch. When we’re better, like Bournemouth or Arsenal, we have them for the taking. 

But Chelsea, for all their dysfunctions, have a lot of athletic players and hunted us down whenever we tried to escape. 

Morgan was part of this plan to help but he is only one player. Maybe a Zaniolo, a Kamara, a Buendia could have helped when the game becomes duels all over the pitch. 

But we’re just getting over the line right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alakagom said:

Just correcting people making false statements. 

Your giving your opinion a Chelsea players and ignoring our huge injury list to first team player's,  we have took  4 points of Chelsea this season despite them spending £1bn, maybe we can pick some bargains up in the Chelsea fire sale....lol 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Said before the game that sometimes teams just have another team’s number. A bit like us with Arsenal maybe. 

All 3 previous games against Chelsea this season they’ve felt like the better team, despite our contrasting fortunes overall. 

Tonight felt like more of the same. Whatever it is, Chelsea just know how to play against us this season

Spot on.

Let's be fair, Chelsea absolutely played us off the park at Stamford Bridge in the cup, Palmer in particular was absolutely superb. 

The plan today, IMO, was to keep it compact, stop Palmer and Gallagher playing their game, and hit them on the break. It worked for the first half, there weren't many moans about the setup and selection at half time.

I do feel like he could've brought Duran on a bit earlier, to at least give us someone to hold the ball up, but Oli is as good as anyone at that and he had one of his worst games of the season tonight unfortunately.

At the start of the season, would we have taken a point against Chelsea? Yeah, I think I would have. At the end of the day, it's 1pt closer to Champs League than we had yesterday.

49 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Chelsea had 12 injuries tonight?

Chelsea have a squad of 632 players. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â