Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are so well set up under Emery, we won at a canter today, everyone knew exactly where to be. At one point Cash was covering Konsa at cb, we had ball and Konsa told him off and to go back to RB. It’s shows that the players are listening to him. 

3 hours ago, Farlz said:

Honestly, the best thing Unai has achieved is getting this fanbase to accept the style of play. 

Of course it can be slow at times as we look to build up and wait for a press or opening but the ball would go side to side today as we waited for the right time and I didn't hear a single person moan about it or shout get it forward and that's probably the biggest compliment I can give Emery. 

The football is hands down, a million miles clear of anything I've ever seen at this football club. Brilliant to watch. 

My dad moaned a bit at one point and I asked him 'have you not been watching this past year?!'

Dunno if this is completely irrational but found the BBC commentator greeting Unai Emery at 4pm for an interview with "well Unai congratulations, good evening, another 3 points..." a bit unnecessary. Unai responded saying good evening perfectly. Felt like he'd plucked the courage to say something another reporter dared him too a couple seconds too late but danced back to it anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

This is satire, right?

Tbf to OP he isn’t the only one who wrote off a lot of people on that list. A lot of them could have been considered mid table at best. Now most are certified ballers. 

Edited by Spoony

Ultimately you gotta win some silverware to be in the conversation of best manager. 

I suppose if a manager was in charge of a club for 10 years, finishing second every year but winning no trophies could/would be considered better than a manager who finished midtable for a couple of seasons and fluking a league cup. It’s possible I suppose.

But while I think Emery is better than Atkinson and Little, I think we need a trophy to balance out their league cup win + 2nd and 4th league finishes, respectively.

He probably needs to win the league or multiple cups to overtake Saunders.

And as for poor old George Ramsey, the lesson there is it doesn’t matter whether you’ve won the club the majority of its trophies, you have to avoid being born in the Victorian era because obviously it isn’t going to count. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

Players I had written off before Emery came in:

Mings

Watkins

Konsa

Cash

Digne

Luiz

Bailey

McGinn

Buendia

Thank you Unai! 

More than half that list had been class under Smith.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Ultimately you gotta win some silverware to be in the conversation of best manager. 

I suppose if a manager was in charge of a club for 10 years, finishing second every year but winning no trophies could/would be considered better than a manager who finished midtable for a couple of seasons and fluking a league cup. It’s possible I suppose.

But while I think Emery is better than Atkinson and Little, I think we need a trophy to balance out their league cup win + 2nd and 4th league finishes, respectively.

And as for poor old George Ramsey, the lesson there is it doesn’t matter whether you’ve won the club the majority of its trophies, you have to avoid being born in the Victorian era because obviously it isn’t going to count. 

Let's put it this way, David Moyes has just won a trophy with the kit stealers. They think he's shit and want him gone.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Saunders managed in a time where there wasn't such a big disparity between the finances of big clubs and the rest. I'm not knocking his achievements, but the league was more even and many teams had a chance at silverware.

The fact Emery is doing what he is with us inspite of this massive disadvantage is a greater achievement. Winning silverware and titles in the modern era is next to impossible unless you are one of the select few money clubs. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Saunders managed in a time where there wasn't such a big disparity between the finances of big clubs and the rest. I'm not knocking his achievements, but the league was more even and many teams had a chance at silverware. The fact Emery is doing what he is with us inspite of this massive disadvantage is a greater achievement. Winning silverware and titles in the modern era is next to impossible unless you are one of the select few money clubs. 

Yeah I’m of a similar thought but as I wasn’t alive then I don’t feel qualified to be too dismissive of winning stuff back then. 

My somewhat sarcastic George Ramsey comment is me trying to allude to the futility of comparing different eras. He won loads, but there’s no one alive who remembers it so it doesn’t count. 

And one day, let’s say 50 years from now, this era will be looked back upon as kinda quaint and not as good as what football will be in 50 years time. It’ll be “Unai Emery? Oh sure he was probably good for that time, very good even. But come on, they were still pissing about with VAR back then, it doesn’t compare to the modern game.”

Ultimately, we can have the debate, but it’s kinda pointless. 

• Like 1

For me Unai Emery will be our greatest manager. I also agree silverware will not be my determining factor it's the overall package of results,style of play and feel.good factor.

Personally I'd take an eternity of this style of football with the risk of no silverware over an inferior manager winning a cup but playing dull football and a team with no identity. It's  simple play and win games and you can certainly be in the mix for trophies.

I actually think emery will deliver a trophy but everything he has done is to a disadvantage over certain clubs and the money others spend. Everything we are seeing is down to emerys ability to actually manage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skarroki said:

Dunno if this is completely irrational but found the BBC commentator greeting Unai Emery at 4pm for an interview with "well Unai congratulations, good evening, another 3 points..." a bit unnecessary. Unai responded saying good evening perfectly. Felt like he'd plucked the courage to say something another reporter dared him too a couple seconds too late but danced back to it anyway. 

I just listened to it and it seems like reporter is just saying it as a polite and friendly greeting probably in response to Emery being polite and friendly to him in previous conversations 

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 1

Â