Unai Emery

PeterSw

His transformation of Watkins is phenomenal. Going from a player most probably wouldn’t have minded if we sold for decent money in Summer, to a player matching Haaland for goals since WC break. Emery is truly elite.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just thinking this. 

One signing in the window that's actually playing, pretty much the same team Gerrard turned into a disaster. 

Without the likes of Kamara and Cash as well.

The man is creating a well oiled machine which doesn't stumble even when integral parts are missing.

It's almost as if they are even excelling further when faced with adversity.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Without the likes of Kamara and Cash as well.

The man is creating a well oiled machine which doesn't stumble even when integral parts are missing.

It's almost as if they are even excelling further when faced with adversity.

The Emery train is full steam ahead, nothing can derail it now.

3 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Concerned about his face, looks like he's got some sort of swelling around his jaw and cheeks? 

Aside from that, even if we'd have ended up not winning that today, my old man and I at HT in the Holte concourse both said if this is the mentality we're going to have under Unai, then sign us right up for the ride!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wedge said:

Concerned about his face, looks like he's got some sort of swelling around his jaw and cheeks? 

Aside from that, even if we'd have ended up not winning that today, my old man and I at HT in the Holte concourse both said if this is the mentality we're going to have under Unai, then sign us right up for the ride!

Does look a bit swollen, I didn’t notice it on TV

19 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I wasn’t around for the Saunders era. Is Emery our best ever tactical manager?

I wasn’t around then, I think it’s hard to compare a management style from 40 years ago. The game is just different.

That being said, my sense is that broadly speaking the answer probably would be yes. I think Emery sees the game differently to basically all our other previous managers. It’s like chess.

It’s funny, he’s another one who didn’t really pull up any trees as a player. Admittedly I don’t know much about his playing career, but looking at it on paper nothing grabs me as being in anyway spectacular. 

Not that I expect good players to be good managers (obviously not!). But I do find it interesting when players who never hit the big time go on to be class managers. Maybe it’s a case of being kinda slightly removed from it the circus of it all, observing and learning. Gaining what he can to have an impact in a different way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

He's still so underrated in England. He seems to be regarded as nothing more than decent when in reality he's probably closer to one of the top 5 managers in the world.

Who cares ? Let them carry on with this thought process 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

He's still so underrated in England. He seems to be regarded as nothing more than decent when in reality he's probably closer to one of the top 5 managers in the world.

Serious question though as I believe different managers at different levels require totally different skill sets including the very top table - does he have a skill set that lends itself better to Villa, villarreal, Sevilla etc than it does to PSG and arsenal? Is there something about him that makes him the greatest EL manager of all time but also means that he'll never win a CL?

Which means that in the next 5 years when we've won a few cups are playing CL... The heads start to wobble saying he'll go to real Madrid but the reality is that he won't because he can't get a seat at that table, which is obviously our massive gain

52 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I wasn’t around for the Saunders era. Is Emery our best ever tactical manager?

Considering we've pretty much had exclusively British managers since....yes.

Big Ron got us playing with swagger and style and he managed abroad and won stuff but early 90s wasn't really a tactical sophistication in the British game.

O'Neill got us some excellent wins but a very basic way of playing and as we know terrible rotating and always like for like subs.

DS..loved him but I always thought his in game management weakness was his biggest flaw in the premier league. So many games we'd lose control and be clinging on and he just wouldn't do anything in terms of slowing down/getting subs on for fresh legs and then we'd concede and points would be dropped. Actually interested how he does with 5 subs at Leicester as they do have options on the bench as shown with Iheanacho coming on and scoring.

Gerrard....lol. Was welded to a terrible style of play that was boring to watch and not effective for any of our forward players.

Little for 18 months was very good tactically. The 3-5-2 worked a treat until a few injuries and Collymore signing so I'd say he's only one even able to enter the conversation and his reign ended 25 years ago.

Emery simply has the air of someone who's managed in massive finals and club games so us being 2-0 up to in form Newcastle isn't going to faze him in the slightest. About time we had a manager who treats football matches like Chess matches rather than "get your boots on and be all blood and thunder." In the modern era that only gets you so far.

• Like 3

And this guy thinks he’s lucky to be here. Elite manager, even better human being. 

The best thing that’s happened to our club in my time as a fan. 

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Beside the immense joy Emery has given us since he took over we are also projected to make about £25m more from our current 6th placed league position compared to 17th when Gerrard was sacked.

That's shut up money right there.

That’s two Alex Moreno’s

• Shocked 1

Â