Unai Emery

PeterSw

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think this guy see's things many don't.....Thats why he is Elite.

The next thing will be hanging on to him.

Don’t worry about that tro , he’s here and in it for the long term 100%

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Wow, Emery got seventy points in his first season with Arse. And they thought he was a failure?

Arteta has never got 70 points with Arsenal until this season, his 4th season and how many transfer windows to take the crap Emery inherited to where they are now.

• Like 1

Who was the last Villa manager to have basically universal approval this far into their reign? All of the ones in the past decade, even better ones like Smith, had at least some disapproval from some quarters 4/5 months into their tenure.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Question:

Rewind to the day after Deano was sacked. Would you accept the Gerrard appointment, the dreadful performances, the arrogance, the nastiness, the Mings debacle and the very likely relegation battle...

... if you knew you'd have Unai in the not too distant future?

Unai wasn't ready to leave Villarreal at that point - as Newcastle publicly found out.

It's not impossible that he was first choice then, wouldn't move, and we opted to take a punt on Gerrard in the knowledge that if it didn't work out they could go back for Emery.

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Why Emery is clearly a genius is he sees that for different opponents you need different team and different set up. Away to Spurs and home to Palace are different games with a different approach. 

The thing that has always been our achilles heel has been breaking down the low block when we are a counter attacking team. The layers we've seen added are the most pleasing. Wolves, Leeds, Leicester - 4 points from 3 home games and we didn't play great in them. We're better now

Key to playing those low blocks is essentially a mix of what Brighton and De Zerbi have been doing. Unless you have the most expensive talents of the world like the big 6 - you cannot just camp out in their own half and try crosses and cutbacks with 11 opponents in the box. Emery wants to lure them out into our half of the pitch so, ironically, a team that is somewhat suited to counter-attacking - has space to attack when the ball is accelerated into the final third.

But that is dependent on the match being level or having the lead - which is probably why Unai was so apoplectic during the Wolves and Leicester games. You can't lure out an opponent who has the lead. And as Moyes showed, if you have no interest in leaving your own half when you don't have the ball, we are missing some elite wing play to break down those teams too.

Edited by DJBOB

49 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Who was the last Villa manager to have basically universal approval this far into their reign? All of the ones in the past decade, even better ones like Smith, had at least some disapproval from some quarters 4/5 months into their tenure.

I guess it was MON?

46 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If you dig deep enough there's probably a few that will find summat to groan about. Some folks just never happy. Deano was a Villa fan that some said wasn't experienced enough. He got us promoted again.

Emery was supposedly poor at Arsenal but it turns out he wasn't, but if you listen to some Arsenal fans he was like Mccleish. 

57 minutes ago, Mantis said:

MON

Emery leaving Villa would probably only happen when he feels he's taken us as far as he can. He would only move to a team where he feels like they want to give him time, the PSG/Arsenal runs he had they never gave him the time needed. 

So I could see Emery leaving for a club like City or United or Liverpool. Not a Spurs or Chelsea and probably never back to Arsenal.

12 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

If you dig deep enough there's probably a few that will find summat to groan about. Some folks just never happy. Deano was a Villa fan that some said wasn't experienced enough. He got us promoted again.

Emery was supposedly poor at Arsenal but it turns out he wasn't, but if you listen to some Arsenal fans he was like Mccleish. 

Of course there's always one or two but by this point in Smith's tenure there were already quite a few grumbles (from myself included) as we went through a pretty rough period of form. Credit to him he turned it around though.

Emery though seems to have near unanimous adoration or at least approval. He's come in and not only drastically improved results over a relatively sustained period of time but also noticeably started implementing his philosophy too, all the while coming across as a genuinely likeable man (in stark contrast to the last guy).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

If we’re talking at the equivalent point in their respective Villa manager tenure, then it has to be Gregory?

We won 9 of the first 11 league games, memorable night v Atletico Madrid, topped the league for the first couple of months of the following season, including a club record unbeaten start to that season.

Didn’t maintain that of course, but approval ratings must have been through the roof at the time.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No people didnt want him either and some even wanted him sacked in summer 2009

For another discussion, but the club would've been in a better place had we recruited a better coach than O'Neill way back when. It would've taken some out of the box thinking but a continental approach and model (DOF etc would've helped Randy better utilise his cash)... 

Unai, what a signing! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, duke313 said:

We've only played 27 games, wouldn't it be 26pts ÷ 14 games in charge x 27 games this season = 50pts?  Still amazing like.

Had we beat Leicester on the ratio of taking this form from the beginning of the season we'd be on 58 points and projection of 79 points.

55 minutes ago, Dale said:

For another discussion, but the club would've been in a better place had we recruited a better coach than O'Neill way back when. It would've taken some out of the box thinking but a continental approach and model (DOF etc would've helped Randy better utilise his cash)... 

Unai, what a signing! 

I thought hiring mon was exactly what we needed then, the problem was that football was developing an moving at a million miles an hour back then and mon failed to develop with the football

The one issue I have with unai is that I have nothing to complain about at the moment, what a manager and i am really looking forward to next season!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Thinking I should maybe turn on him now so if he ends up getting fired in a few years I can claim I was the genius who was right all along. All a bit weird with people agreeing.

• Haha 1

I said whilst Gerrard was manager that if we get Emery he will get us in the top 10 this season and Europe next season.

I am extremely delighted that we have this man in charge, with his backroom staff, his footballing brain and high level coaching ability..

IF we are able to get Antonio Cordon as Sporting Director then I think we all will need to hold on tight because we'll be on one hell of a ride.

The most  impressive thing about Unai is that he has our players adopting his style and gameplan, just imagine if he has the resources and a full pre season.. 

I honestly cannot see how this can possibly go left..

Exciting times ahead!

Â