Unai Emery

PeterSw

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I am so glad we managed to get a coach of his class at Villa. Just imagine had we brought in Potter. Shudders.

In my head, Potter at Villa and Emery at Chelsea was always the far more likely outcome and we're living in the minority outcome where Emery came here and Potter went to Chelsea. Sort of like if we'd ended up with Ancelotti in 2011 instead of McLeish (not that I think Potter is as bad as McLeish).

I'm very glad things worked out the way they did. Potter isn't a bad manager, but while not a rookie charlatan like Gerrard, he's relatively untried at the top level. We have quite a bit of experience with those over the years and I'm not sure he would've been the right choice long-term.

The great thing about Emery is that he's got such an illustrious CV and comes across as such a nice guy that he's going to get far more patience than the average Villa manager. He'll have to be given time because unlike many previous managers there's absolutely no doubt that he's the best we can get, so the focus shifts a bit away from the manager and more towards long-term strategy.

Not that I think Emery will necessarily need a reserve bank of patience, as he's already shown us quite a lot of decent stuff.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The great thing about Emery is that he's got such an illustrious CV and comes across as such a nice guy that he's going to get far more patience than the average Villa manager. He'll have to be given time because unlike many previous managers there's absolutely no doubt that he's the best we can get, so the focus shifts a bit away from the manager and more towards long-term strategy.

Not that I think Emery will necessarily need a reserve bank of patience, as he's already shown us quite a lot of decent stuff.

i think he will do tbh, as i can see us having some ups and downs, and swings in results as he tries to implement his style/ethos etc over the next 18+ months.

However, i really think anyone who doesnt give him plenty of time, probably has the IQ of their shoe size.

I agree with you entirely with regard to that he is the best possible manager we could have hoped for (realistically), and we need to be on board with him for the long term.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i think he will do tbh, as i can see us having some ups and downs, and swings in results as he tries to implement his style/ethos etc over the next 18+ months.

However, i really think anyone who doesnt give him plenty of time, probably has the IQ of their shoe size.

I agree with you entirely with regard to that he is the best possible manager we could have hoped for (realistically), and we need to be on board with him for the long term.

I would go as far as to say he is the best manager 95% of the league could hope for. He is elite, compared to most managers in the league he is way above and rather than worry about a couple of defeats early in the process we should be looking at how we are rebuilding our club after 3 years in the championship not so long ago. I am in no doubt that whenever emery leaves us and what ever the reason we will be significantly better off for his time here.

• Like 4

On 25/02/2023 at 19:01, Villarocker said:

I love him! Seriously, no negativity please. Unai is the real deal and the man we've been praying for. 

My Dad watched the game with me today and he said to me that the biggest threat to our future success if the fans. How can we argue with that? Unai needs time and, if we give it, we will win trophies again. 

It is a popular thing to say, but I don’t think it’s true. The fans didn’t even manage to get Gerrard sacked, how on earth do people think that fans are going to get Emery sacked?

It is the owners alone that would need to give Unai the time he needs, what fans thinks are irrelevant. I’m not going to be popular with that view, since we all like to believe we can make a difference.

If we start next season like we did this season, fans will moan, but to be honest I cannot see us going on 11 games run where the players look clueless and the results are way below expectations. Yes, there will be matches where Emery get the tactic wrong, get the team selection wrong, and the results goes against us, but I expect Emery to have it fixed by the next match.

• Like 2

On 28/02/2023 at 10:44, stewiek2 said:

I\m as guilty as anyone at being negative at times in the match threads. It's not having a go, it's commenting on what you see at the time. However, looking at how we play under Emery compared to say, Gerrard, it's chalk and cheese. You really would scratch your head at times under SG regards what we were trying to do. Dare I say similar to old Brucie, for example. Huff and puff and inconsistent in the style of play and energy.

Now I think of it, we play a very european style of football under Emery. A very tactical game, one based on, dare I say, saving energy for when it's needed rather than go all blood and thunder that an English manager would have a team play and burnout. If we do qualify for europe, then I think we'll do better than, say, Newcastle, as Emery's sides are set up to play against European opposition.

Emery in domestic competitions is know for playing front foot football often going toe to toe with the likes of Barca and Real Madrid in La Liga, this is something were attempting to do at home not quite working out yet but I think we’ll see it pay dividends by end of the season. But yes in European with Sevilla and Villarreal he adopted a more pragmatic approach and was criticised for it several times despite winning  the competition for 3 years consecutively with Sevilla. But yes we have a clear identity building now and it’s quite evident there’s a different tactical plan for each game or a slight variation in the shape and way we approach the game. Under Gerrard it just felt the same every time same could be said for every British manager we’ve had in the past decade, If British managers aren’t willing to test themselves outside of the UK to learn different tactical approaches and cultures then I fear the only leagues suitable for their type of coaching is League 1 and lower and there’s no shame in that Mark Hughes and Joey Barton seem to be enjoying their time down there.

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I think what I've noticed most about games under Emery, and the thing that we as Villa fans have to get used to, is that there is an overarching plan for each game. What I mean by this is that previous managers seem to start with the team they think is going to win the game, and then make subs when that plan falls short or does not work. The subs are there as a plan B. 

I get the distinct impression from the way that Emery selects teams, notably with the way we've used Moreno and possibly Buendia also, that the subs form part of Plan A.

It's easy to say in retrospect but the way we started against Everton, I feel we were aiming to stifle them, with a view to opening them up later in the game using planned, more creative subs. 

I can't prove this of course, not being privvy to tactical discussions, but it feels that way. If that is the case, we need to be prepared to be potentially disappointed at times with team selections, and be patient, knowing that there are plans to unlock stubborn or dangerous teams  that transcend the starting XI. 

From what I’ve gathered and read there’s a different tactical to each game and a specific set of instruction gathered from Emery analysing 7 of the next opponent’s previous games hours of team meetings and working on the shape in sessions. Plenty of his former players have been quoted to have loved playing under him enjoy his honesty and their improvement under him and variation in training. The negatives is some players become mentally drained after 3-4 seasons ( he usually moves on after fulfilling his contract) and welcomed the change in manager despite their admiration and gratitude towards him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

The negatives is some players become mentally drained after 3-4 seasons

That's when you move the players on.  Don Emery will know this and that is why he accepted this job as its his chance to build a Dynasty.

• Like 3

We should never have appointed this clown over Gerrard. According to sources, he is being considered for the Psg job and is clearly a great in the game who was too good for us. Either the sources are right or someone has been on the sauce before they wrote the article. Hard to tell! 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ellebonnie said:

How long is he contracted to us ?

was 4.5 years, so to the end of the 26/27 season i think.

i think it was the longest contract we have ever given a manager?

20 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

We should never have appointed this clown over Gerrard. According to sources, he is being considered for the Psg job and is clearly a great in the game who was too good for us. Either the sources are right or someone has been on the sauce before they wrote the article. Hard to tell! 

But we might have gone with someone who’s half good. Now we have Emery and that’s the best part. 
Could’ve been a bit earlier so we’d have had more points possibly but we bounced back and that’s the most important thing. Gerrard contract was 2.5 year from what I remember so financially wasn’t the worst either.

Emery has answered the question that everyone here has been asking…

Why put 3 goalkeepers in the matchday squad?

He said it’s because he wants 3 goalkeepers to be there in pre-match and warm up for the outfield players to have shooting practice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unai says "We are being competitive, but not at home"......There lies the essence of the problem at home.

Rarely is it ever one thing.....but that IMO, is a huge part of it.

I want to see us go after them today, but stay compact and resolute....I want a clean Sheet, and we have a chance of 3 points.

Â