Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the Arsenal fans are currently wishing their board made knee-jerk decisions to their terrible form when Arteta first took over?

(The terrible form that was far, far worse than what we're currently experiencing with Unai).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

I wonder if the Arsenal fans are currently wishing their board made knee-jerk decisions to their terrible form when Arteta first took over?

(The terrible form that was far, far worse than what we're currently experiencing with Unai).

It's going to have taken until this season for Arteta to surpass the 70 points in one season of Emery's only full season with them in 18/19.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

It's going to have taken until this season for Arteta to surpass the 70 points in one season of Emery's only full season with them in 18/19.

Exactly. Even more reason for people questioning the appointment at Villa to cool their jets. 

• Like 1

So Gerrard had one point more than Emery at this stage of his managerial career at Villa. It all has a familiar look in terms of new manager bounce ending. Winnable games ahead we had Newcastle and Watford under Gerrard and we'll see how Emery does in these next 4 games. 

The one constant is this perpetually failing team. So there are two things that can happen. One they revert to type and results are poor. Then we need to move on a lot of them. Or Emery gets them winning and we keep more of them.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

So Gerrard had one point more than Emery at this stage of his managerial career at Villa. It all has a familiar look in terms of new manager bounce ending. Winnable games ahead we had Newcastle and Watford under Gerrard and we'll see how Emery does in these next 4 games. 

The one constant is this perpetually failing team. So there are two things that can happen. One they revert to type and results are poor. Then we need to move on a lot of them. Or Emery gets them winning and we keep more of them.

It's night and day. We're going to lose football games along the way, but we're clearly improving and in capable hands.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

If feel a bit sorry for Emery, he's got a big job on his hands changing this clubs mentality and the mentality of the fans.

I've seen massive improvements since he came and I think the players understand what he wants, some of them just aren't good enough. 

We were a blatant offside away from a good point on Saturday, we scored two good team goals to boot. 

We aren't far away, really we're not. But we are still on the uphill section and mentally looking behind, we need to start looking up the hill. Our mentality as fans and a club needs to be looking up the hill.

If I only could, I'd be running up that hill.

• Haha 1

Next 5 games are all winnable games I think. Gerrard after his initial new manager bounce went something like 1 win in 12? Losses away to Brentford (who were awful at the time), Newcastle and Watford were really frustrating from what I remember. Confident Emery will get a decent points total from the next 5.

• Like 1

Reading his autobiography El Maestro I can see how this man might get villa as a club. His club Real Union founding members of La Liga enjoyed some success in the early years before the Super powers Real Madrid and Barcelona eventually colonised football sounds familiar doesn’t it? Then a team he played for and a fan of in Real Sociedad broke the mould in 1981 and won the league which also sounds familiar.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

From this point into their reigns. Gerrard had 1 point more than Emery. 

We then had the run of winnable games.

Leeds draw 3 3, Newcastle Loss 1 0, Watford loss 1 0, Brighton win 2 0, Southampton win 4 0, Leeds win 3 0. 

From there it collapsed for Gerrard. Two wins from the rest of the season. Only two wins this season before sacked.

Has anyone shared Gerrard's first 10/11 fixtures VS Emery's yet? Not that anyone needs confirmation that Emery is approx a million times better manager than Steven (maybe some do actually), but would still be nice to compare.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

Has anyone shared Gerrard's first 10/11 fixtures VS Emery's yet? Not that anyone needs confirmation that Emery is approx a million times better manager than Steven (maybe some do actually), but would still be nice to compare.

Wins

Gerrard - BHA cry LEI nor eve

Emery - MNU bha tot LEE sou

Losses

Gerrard - MNC liv CHE bre

Emery - LIV LEI mnc ARS

Draws

Gerrard - MNU

Emery - WOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vero_jaro5 said:

There's an interview section with Unai Emery on today's episode of Michael Calvin's Football People podcast if anyone wants to have a listen (starting at around 30th minute)

Very good interview.

He spoke about

• What he wants to implement here
  • His passion for the game
  • How he is able to watch games reduce the information for players to digest.

This was a reminder that we have a high calibre coach at Aston Villa. 

We have not had this type of manager here.. ever

• Like 1

Â