Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Remarkably incisive interview: identifies the precise problem with the performance. If this man is backed in to shape this team, he will create something v v impressive.

If I was one of our current players, I would be bricking it. 

Serial winner and a tactical genius. NSWE are absolutely right to give him the freedom he wants. His post-matches and press conferences are never dull and full of deep insights 

• Like 3

This is where Emery shows us how good he is.

This point last season the general performances under Gerrard quickly went south but I'm not expecting the same here.

We have three winnable games before the break and I want to be winning all three (and finally break this West Ham curse and get a draw there).

Watched Everton and they're still very limited but will make the game scrappy so we have to show we're better than them in that department and then it's up to our final third players to get the ball quickly through to Ollie. Tarkowski is getting on the end of plenty of their set pieces so that's another warning considering how doozy we are on set pieces currently.

We need a good week of drilling at Bodymoor and getting back to basics and stopping asking players to do stuff they simply can't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Can't disagree with anything he says there. Shows the standards of the guy (and not in a showy Gerrard way) that he could easily have blagged it and said we were right in the game and the piece of fortune they got for the 3rd goal was the difference but he knows what he wants from the team and they aren't giving it.

I think many managers would have used that as an excuse, because lets face it, it was a complete anomaly. 9 times out of 10 in that situation it ends up in row z. 

Emery didnt even want to praise our 2nd goal, because of how lax we were with the ball at other times

Listening to his interviews he knows what he wants, but the team don't seem to be giving it. He knows we go a goal up and think the game is won, talks about lack of spirit. Big b***king going on before the next games I'm sure. 

I think a few will have to change there mentality, or they'll be on the list to be shipped out in the summer.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Listening to his interviews he knows what he wants, but the team don't seem to be giving it. He knows we go a goal up and think the game is won, talks about lack of spirit. Big b***king going on before the next games I'm sure. 

I think a few will have to change there mentality, or they'll be on the list to be shipped out in the summer.

i tend to think this is "not capable of giving it" in a few cases.

Will need a bit of a team rebuild to be able to play Emery's desired style tbh.

Too often over the last few years, Villa players, when we are under pressure, are just too happy to get rid of the ball instead of trying to do something with it. Dick is right, we score then try to hang on. We need him to bring in players with a more confidence on the ball, with a more positive approach.

I think we might be surprised with some of the players he will want to replace.

I think this manager is as good as we are going to get, so hopefully he is given the tools.

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

This is where Emery shows us how good he is.

This point last season the general performances under Gerrard quickly went south but I'm not expecting the same here.

We have three winnable games before the break and I want to be winning all three (and finally break this West Ham curse and get a draw there).

Watched Everton and they're still very limited but will make the game scrappy so we have to show we're better than them in that department and then it's up to our final third players to get the ball quickly through to Ollie. Tarkowski is getting on the end of plenty of their set pieces so that's another warning considering how doozy we are on set pieces currently.

We need a good week of drilling at Bodymoor and getting back to basics and stopping asking players to do stuff they simply can't. 

Isn't that pandering and the cycle continues. They need to adapt to Emery's way and improve or be replaced. End of.

• Thanks 1

The players won this little stand off for want of a better word when things went south under Smith and Gerrard. Thankfully for them, they weren’t particularly good managers. They aren’t winning this time. This guy is not going to be **** under the bus. He’s going nowhere anywhere remotely soon. But they will be this time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

He seems to be very unhappy with the lack of consistency and care with the ball. The friction is beginning to happen between him and the players. The honeymoon is well and truly over.

No friction. They’ll need to be told in no uncertain terms “ if you aren’t good enough lads or show a genuine desire to improve, you’ll be off “ This isn’t playing out like before. Too many of these have survived too many managers with zero accountability on them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Isn't that pandering and the cycle continues. They need to adapt to Emery's way and improve or be replaced. End of.

I think the best policy is just to scrap out 2-3 wins in next few weeks and get safe. Then use international break as 3/4 of our squad will remain here and then for last 10 matches really see who out of the existing squad is improving and who simply can't step up.

9 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

No friction. They’ll need to be told in no uncertain terms “ if you aren’t good enough lads or show a genuine desire to improve, you’ll be off “ This isn’t playing out like before. Too many of these have survived too many managers with zero accountability on them. 

Yeah he doesn't seem to do " petty digs " and shadow agendas.

He seems like he's very direct lol

Just now, Villa_Vids said:

I don't think you should compromise your core beliefs as a coach. How will the players react now? He buried them after Arsenal for playing negatively then tells them to go back to basics - sit deep and nick some points. It is going to lead to problems later on. You must be consistent and reinforce these principles. We will never improve by pandering and reverting to type.

A core belief for him will be defending set pieces well. We've been poor at that recently and Tarkowski was getting on the end of pretty much all set pieces for Everton today (and scored v Arsenal).

That already feels like a way we'll find to lose the game next week with players practising closing down short corners and instead Everton will probably just lob it to the back post endlessly so we need to be switched on for the differing styles we're playing. West Ham will be the same aswell.

Â